GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

I may be late asking, but does anyone know "exactly" what were reserving as far as covers and blade go? Or are we still guessing?

Or

"YOU'LL GET WHAT YOU GET AND YOU'LL LIKE IT!" o_O:)

In plain English on the early reserve site:

GEC #77 BARLOW

Northfield, Single Spear blade, long matchstriker pull, cut swedge, satin finish, no shield, nickel silver long “NF” bolster and liners.

Variations: Red Sawcut Bone, Amber Sawcut Bone, African Blackwood, Natural Linen Micarta.”

In plain English on the early reserve site:

GEC #77 BARLOW

Northfield, Single Spear blade, long matchstriker pull, cut swedge, satin finish, no shield, nickel silver long “NF” bolster and liners.

Variations: Red Sawcut Bone, Amber Sawcut Bone, African Blackwood, Natural Linen Micarta.”

Well, I didn't have time to stop and read while I was making my reservation, I knew I'd like it regardless. English at 900 mph doesn't amount to much.:cool:

And I haven't had time to look. I posted my last comments at a stoplight.

Variations: Red Sawcut Bone, Amber Sawcut Bone, African Blackwood, Natural Linen Micarta.

Thank you.

Variations: Red Sawcut Bone, Amber Sawcut Bone, African Blackwood, Natural Linen Micarta.

Who was I kidding? I got in on the reserve. The allure of the 77 was too great. I already had the early reserve page open on my phone, so as soon as the text arrived, I had my reserve maybe 5 seconds later. I was absurdly quick.

Love the satin finish. I’m generally not a fan of the looks of mirror polish. I would have much preferred steel bolsters and liners, but I can live with NS. Matchstriker pull and cut swedge sounds perfect.

I’m not totally sure what my favorite cover option is. They honestly all sound very nice. I guess my pecking order would be.........

1. Red Sawcut Bone - The stuff is absurdly beautiful, and GEC always seems to come up short in number on them, so they tend to be rare.
  2. African Blackwood - I don’t have much in ebony or Blackwood, so it would be a nice addition for me. Classy looking, yet very durable.
  3. Amber Sawcut Bone - Sawcut is always cool. I once had a single clip in Sawcut Copperhead bone, and it was nice. Not amazing to my eyes, but nice. Not quite deep enough for my tastes.
  4. Natural Linen Micarta - If it we’re canvas micarta, I’d be jumping for joy. The linen is good too, but not quite as cool as canvas. And I already have a couple in natural linen from last year’s run, so I’m pretty well covered.

That's kind of what I was thinking too.
If so, I hope he something cool figured out for an etch.
Maybe something like, "CK Special Reserve." :D

I’m hoping it’s a cool logo and not words... like the Piasa bird on the black canvas 93. Since Charley dropped the ball by forgetting the little lamb on his, maybe Mike will pull through with an eagle or something :)

Who was I kidding? I got in on the reserve. The allure of the 77 was too great. I already had the early reserve page open on my phone, so as soon as the text arrived, I had my reserve maybe 5 seconds later. I was absurdly quick.

Love the satin finish. I’m generally not a fan of the looks of mirror polish. I would have much preferred steel bolsters and liners, but I can live with NS. Matchstriker pull and cut swedge sounds perfect.

I’m not totally sure what my favorite cover option is. They honestly all sound very nice. I guess my pecking order would be.........

1. Red Sawcut Bone - The stuff is absurdly beautiful, and GEC always seems to come up short in number on them, so they tend to be rare.
  2. African Blackwood - I don’t have much in ebony or Blackwood, so it would be a nice addition for me. Classy looking, yet very durable.
  3. Amber Sawcut Bone - Sawcut is always cool. I once had a single clip in Sawcut Copperhead bone, and it was nice. Not amazing to my eyes, but nice. Not quite deep enough for my tastes.
  4. Natural Linen Micarta - If it we’re canvas micarta, I’d be jumping for joy. The linen is good too, but not quite as cool as canvas. And I already have a couple in natural linen from last year’s run, so I’m pretty well covered.

Your preferences are in perfect alignment with my own. I am still bummed that we aren't seeing Stag on this run. Yours and Harry's Stag 77s are just beautiful.

No complaints though, they will all be very nice.

Oh nooooo! Not an etch!

If it really really needs to be there, I hope it is something decent like on the last ancient barlows.

Edit: I see now that made a mistake when I posted pictures of the cover options and posted natural canvas micarta. Well I can't find an example of natural linen micarta!

Last edited:
I wasn't going to sit this one out but can't pass up a matchstrike pull.

Hoping the amber is more of that green color on the very first TC Barlow clip version as opposed to the brownish hues on later runs.

The nice thing about etches is that they come off pretty easily. If you are a collector, then you will probably want to leave it though.

Your preferences are in perfect alignment with my own. I am still bummed that we aren't seeing Stag on this run. Yours and Harry's Stag 77s are just beautiful.

No complaints though, they will all be very nice.

Stag, of course, would have made it an epic run. It’s been a while since stag was offered as a 77 option. It’s perfect for the Barlow, since GEC is loathe to put a shield on stag anyway.

Yeah...me too buzz....I tried to resist....but I landed a reservation! I'm thinking I want an ebony to go with my ebony #14 TC, my Ebony Lambsfoot and my 2019 Forum Knife. Or I will take a red saw cut to match my Clip coping combo.

I see what you're doing here. You think that by saying the sawcut red is rare, of course I'll pick that one, and you'll get the sawcut amber you want.

But you should also know that since I'm on this forum I would know they did sawcut red in 2015 but not sawcut amber, so of course I would pick the sawcut amber, leaving you with the sawcut red you really want!

But, being a knife knut yourself, you would know that I know the 2015 releases, and would know the sawcut red was extremely popular so clearly I would pick that one, leaving you the sawcut amber!!!

It's so obvious!

I see what you're doing here. You think that by saying the sawcut red is rare, of course I'll pick that one, and you'll get the sawcut amber you want.

But you should also know that since I'm on this forum I would know they did sawcut red in 2015 but not sawcut amber, so of course I would pick the sawcut amber, leaving you with the sawcut red you really want!

But, being a knife knut yourself, you would know that I know the 2015 releases, and would know the sawcut red was extremely popular so clearly I would pick that one, leaving you the sawcut amber!!!

It's so obvious!
Inconceivable ;)

Back