GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

I don't see any difference between african blackwood and ebony. (Kindly educate me on this matter.) Nicr, but plain wood. I would prefere something with more character like snakewood, ironwood or cocobolo.
It is really hard to tell the difference. As far as I can tell, ebony can more often have streaks of brown in it and the sheen is more matte. The AB tends to have a slightly glossier sheen maybe like eggshell. Otherwise, they both can be very black and they both have similar pores and texture.

I took the liberty to see what it will look like with the matchstriker pull.
View attachment 1160523

Looks good Darren! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

In honor of these new barlows, I'm carrying my combo version. Tomorrow, I will carry my single clip! Man these are perfect. Excited for those members who will be getting their first NF Barlow!
View attachment 1160459

Taylor ALWAYS has the BEST patina on the forum. Awesome Knife! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

--

57MMVmS.jpg

Nice to see another spear point #77 run -- fantastic knives! :D

This one from 2015 gets carried and used often (used to be snow white :eek:).

Excited for those members who will be getting their first NF Barlow!
View attachment 1160459

Thank you,

It is really hard to tell the difference. As far as I can tell, ebony can more often have streaks of brown in it and the sheen is more matte. The AB tends to have a slightly glossier sheen maybe like eggshell. Otherwise, they both can be very black and they both have similar pores and texture.

thank you

I took the liberty to see what it will look like with the matchstriker pull.
View attachment 1160523

and thank you!

I kind of start wishing I don't get to choose. Reading posts in this thread makes me question my approach to choosing cover material.
I like the looks of natural canvas micarta best. It is also the most durable cover material. I can drop the knife and be relatively OK. But majority of my GECs are in micarta, because I am constantly late to jump on the train and micarta is usualy all that is left.

Second I like amber sawcut bone, but then again, I allready have 2018 ancient barlow. That would leave me with 2 single spearpoint barlows in brownish sawcut bone :-/ What is the point...

Then AB looks classy, but also plain and unispiring. And besides, I have calfroper in ebony.

That leaves me with red sawcut bone, which is different than anything I have, but visually it is least appealing to me.

It is only logical, that pushing for variety will eventualy make me get something I don't like per se. Fortunately I see that getting the same cover material on different knives also is viable approach.

Last edited:
Yesterday driving home, I was cursing my luck and feeling sorry for myself as I was sitting in stopped traffic. I pulled out my phone to kill time and by pure dumb luck the Early Reserve notification popped up. Needless to say, I had a smile on my face the rest of my brutal commute home! Can't wait until these are available, I will be happy with any of the handle options. I suspect this will be a knife I will carry daily.

Well, I got the notice while I was driving yesterday, so it looks like this will be the first run of 77 NF Barlow’s that I will miss. :( Not to worry because I’ve been fortunate to have gotten a few over the years! Congratulations to all who got in on the reserve process. Especially the ones that will get their first 77 Barlow. Kudos to Mike, he has worked on his early reserve system to make it fair for all! Enjoy those 77 single spear models. They are great knives! :thumbsup:

34629657665_e23b79f546_b_d.jpg

I'm in the same boat as you Ron. Forgot my phone in my truck. When i finally went out to fetch it I found the message long past the window of opportunity.
m63xrcb.jpg

gxU1Dnw.jpg

That’s some crazy stag man! What year did they run those?

Well I missed it completely! Oh well. Maybe I'll get a barlow one day. If any of you decide you don't want to keep it just keep me in your thoughts.....

I received one email that said "Reserved" and then two follow up emails that said the status was changed to "Standby". My status on the CK site dashboard does say "Reserved". Any idea what that's about?
That's what happened to me as well. If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out. Amazing cover choices though, and each one will look great in it's own special way.
Should be a good looking knife!

Last edited:
I keep the CK website logged on on my phone. I happend to be on my phone when the text came through. I was surprised I got in pretty quickly and got one reserved. About 20 seconds later and the web site slowed to a crawl. I was kinda indifferent on even getting one but I got on so quickly I figured why not. Anyway, I'm pretty happy it's a spear point. I prefer that blade to a clip. AB will probably be my top choice. I wonder, does anyone know if the bolsters will be polished or satin?

Anyway, I'm pretty happy it's a spear point. I prefer that blade to a clip.

I, on the other hand, would prefer it to be clip point. I have spearpoints on all my SAKs and other "euro"knives. If I am getting a piece of americana over the ocean, it'd rather be proper americana! I hope there are more folks like you. That way I may be able to trade.

Back