1. Week 49 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 7 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    Great summary and pictures. Based on what I learned from you and confirmed with a magnet my #771218 (Blood Red Saw Cut Bone) is all steel as opposed to what GEC told me. Thank you for the information.

[​IMG]

shadowram and Half/Stop like this.
  2. knifethetank

knifethetank Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    @Half/Stop Ron, good details with the bolster, liners and pins, I'll update my 77 notes with this information, thanks for providing this.
    Not sure if I'm looking at the production pdf file wrong but can you double check the first run for African Blackwood, thanks Frank

3. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    It’s added. Thanks.

Ramrodmb and knifethetank like this.
  4. bbk357

bbk357 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Good info

5. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I find it really easy to tell Nickel Silver apart from Steel but that just could be me. Nickel Silver is a warm "white" metal that often has an almost yellowish cast to it in certain lighting and can be caught by camera. Steel is a cool "grey" and will turn dull, especially with use. Both react differently to markings and wear and they also are different in their weight as well.

My Barlow in Red Sawcut from last year has a nice patina on it from use. Nickel Silver will definitely develop its own character with use and carry but it does not patina like high carbon steel does.

(Disclaimer, because this is the internet: The above reflects my own experiences, nothing more.)

Ramrodmb, Lift link, Trad and 2 others like this.
  6. bbk357

Mar 12, 2018

Since I saw the side by side pics it is easy for me to tell now. Thanks for the info!

7. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Ron, this picture is getting me excited for this upcoming run. The only thing that would make it better is if there was an option with Stag and a secondary coping blade paired with the Spear main like the 2015 run. Wishful thinking but it is fun to dream regardless.

8. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Dylan, did you mean something similar to this! ;) Well, it doesn’t have the matchstrike pull, but I can live with it! :D

[​IMG]

9. BigKurtHaze

BigKurtHaze

Aug 2, 2015
    You poor thing!

;)

Half/Stop likes this.
  10. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Thanks to @bbk357 for the likes. I miss my old tan saw cut clip point....shoulda never sold it...:confused::(

Old Engineer, JohnDF and bbk357 like this.
  11. bbk357

Mar 12, 2018

Haha. Yeah I’ve been looking through this massive thread. The meat of it is during the 2016 drop... so many good pics. So good I came up with a ridiculous trade posting earlier :confused:

tmd_87 likes this.
  12. HOMER GRIFIN

HOMER GRIFIN

Apr 15, 2015
    After four tries I finally got a reserved notice and I’m wondering if anyone knows when these 77’s will start being produced.

13. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    I don't know for sure. GEC posted in-production pictures of the bolsters a couple weeks ago. Shot in the dark guess that they will be finished in a couple weeks, shipped and sorted for a week, and delivered around the last week of August. Totally just an off the cuff guess regarding the timing, but they are in production already. When it comes to GEC I don't really count on anything till I have it in hand. There's a couple big variables regarding timing.. the GEC rendezvous, the rendezvous knives.. a lot of things could stretch delivery out a couple weeks or push it up.

BigKurtHaze likes this.
  14. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    So clean looking with the non-matchstrike longpull. :thumbsup: I like it MUCH better!!
    The crescent nicks with matchstrike are even worse!o_O
    IMO;)

JohnDF, Half/Stop and redsparrow like this.
  15. rbeggs

rbeggs Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Well I missed out on this run by 20 minutes:(. The 77s are my favorite knife but maybe the new 86 will have a NF Barlow SFO.
    Hope everyone that reserved one enjoys, especially with the great covers available!

16. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    Ad cover options: as they were announced I had some almost clear order of preference. As time goes by I'm like 'yea, whatever, just make it happen soon'. I see advantages to all of them.

Micarta - darn though and still good looking
    AB - a classic, great contrast between bolsters and blackness of wood. Hoping for some light streaks.
    Amber SCB - most visually appealing to me (as I imagine it, that is)
    Red SCB - rare and sought after

My point is make it happen soon!

17. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 10, 2017
    I agree on the matchstrike. I like the plain pull better, and also much prefer a plain nail nick to a long pull.
    Regardless, this should be a nice knife, really looking forward to this as my first barlow. Undecided on my cover of choice, assuming that decision isn't made for me...

TFBraden and Ramrodmb like this.
  18. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Oh yeah it's going to be nice, without a doubt!:thumbsup: What an epic "first"! Congrats in advance.

19. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I go back to work in two weeks... So bring 'em on. :cool::thumbsup:

20. Pgg365247

Pgg365247 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I'm really looking forward to getting this #77 soon. I feel like a kid at Christmas!

JohnDF, akaMatt and knifethetank like this.