GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

I'm posting this with a disclamer! I have checked the past thread topics in the forum. I double checked the model numbers on the Great Eastern Production totals. But it is possible that I might have made a mistake. If someone finds a mistake, point it out to me and if I can confirm it I will change this post. I have shown examples of each type that has been produced up till current.

First run:
Two blade with Clip and Wharncliffe
NS bolsters, brass liners and pins
#771214 Northfield LVS Abalone
#771214 Northfield Dark Chestnut Saw Cut Bone
#771214 Northfield Red Camel Bone
#771214 Northfield Pioneer Bone
#771214 Northfield Stag

16104572412_c4edb1dc21_b.jpg

Second run:
Single blade clip, single blade Sheepsfoot and single blade Wharncliffe.
NS bolsters, liners and pins.

*About a dozen Old Red Sawcut Bone Sheepsfoot 77s were made with brass liners & pins.

#770115 Northfield - Wharncliffe
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
OLD TAN SAWCUT BONE
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE
STAG

36476715184_11fe1ab70e_b.jpg

#771115 Northfield - Clip
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE
OLD TAN SAWCUT BONE
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
STAG

#773115 Northfield - Sheepsfoot
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE*
OLD TAN SAWCUT BONE
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
STAG

16581144300_6e8f68e91f_b.jpg

Third run:
Two blade with Spear and Coping
Single blade with Spear
STL bolsters, liners and pins.

#772215 NORTHFIELD - Spear and Coping
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE
SMOOTH IVORY BONE
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
NATURAL CANVAS MICARTA
SAMBAR STAG

#772115 NORTHFIELD - Spear
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE
SMOOTH IVORY BONE
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
NATURAL CANVAS MICARTA
SAMBAR STAG

23963269262_21eae36b82_b.jpg

Fourth run:
Single blade "Pinchable" clip w/matchstrike pull

#771116 NORTHFIELD
SPRING GREEN SAWCUT BONE
BONE CANVAS MICARTA
COPPERHEAD SAWCUT BONE
BLOOD RED JIG BONE

31276756985_0c667a0656_b.jpg

Fifth run:
Two blade "Pinchable clip w/matchstrike pull and coping

#771218 Northfield
Desert Ironwood
Natural Linen Micarta
Blood Red Sawcut Bone
Elderberry Camel Bone

39897069340_c7b3175fd2_b.jpg
Great summary and pictures. Based on what I learned from you and confirmed with a magnet my #771218 (Blood Red Saw Cut Bone) is all steel as opposed to what GEC told me. Thank you for the information.

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg

Half/Stop Half/Stop Ron, good details with the bolster, liners and pins, I'll update my 77 notes with this information, thanks for providing this.
Not sure if I'm looking at the production pdf file wrong but can you double check the first run for African Blackwood, thanks Frank

Bolsters are steel. I believe only the original release(s) had nickel silver bolsters. See post #2682: the knife with the Wharncliffe blade has NS bolsters; the other two have steel bolsters.

Good info

I find it really easy to tell Nickel Silver apart from Steel but that just could be me. Nickel Silver is a warm "white" metal that often has an almost yellowish cast to it in certain lighting and can be caught by camera. Steel is a cool "grey" and will turn dull, especially with use. Both react differently to markings and wear and they also are different in their weight as well.

My Barlow in Red Sawcut from last year has a nice patina on it from use. Nickel Silver will definitely develop its own character with use and carry but it does not patina like high carbon steel does.

(Disclaimer, because this is the internet: The above reflects my own experiences, nothing more.)

I find it really easy to tell Nickel Silver apart from Steel but that just could be me. Nickel Silver is a warm "white" metal that often has an almost yellowish cast to it in certain lighting and can be caught by camera. Steel is a cool "grey" and will turn dull, especially with use. Both react differently to markings and wear and they also are different in their weight as well.

My Barlow in Red Sawcut from last year has a nice patina on it from use. Nickel Silver will definitely develop its own character with use and carry but it does not patina like high carbon steel does.

(Disclaimer, because this is the internet: The above reflects my own experiences, nothing more.)

Since I saw the side by side pics it is easy for me to tell now. Thanks for the info!

#772215 NORTHFIELD - Spear and Coping
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE
SMOOTH IVORY BONE
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
NATURAL CANVAS MICARTA
SAMBAR STAG

#772115 NORTHFIELD - Spear
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE
SMOOTH IVORY BONE
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
NATURAL CANVAS MICARTA
SAMBAR STAG

23963269262_21eae36b82_b.jpg

Ron, this picture is getting me excited for this upcoming run. The only thing that would make it better is if there was an option with Stag and a secondary coping blade paired with the Spear main like the 2015 run. Wishful thinking but it is fun to dream regardless.

Ron, this picture is getting me excited for this upcoming run. The only thing that would make it better is if there was an option with Stag and a secondary coping blade paired with the Spear main like the 2015 run. Wishful thinking but it is fun to dream regardless.
Dylan, did you mean something similar to this! ;) Well, it doesn’t have the matchstrike pull, but I can live with it! :D

21658158743_1fb57fddcf_b_d.jpg

Thanks to bbk357 bbk357 for the likes. I miss my old tan saw cut clip point....shoulda never sold it...:confused::(

Haha. Yeah I’ve been looking through this massive thread. The meat of it is during the 2016 drop... so many good pics. So good I came up with a ridiculous trade posting earlier :confused:

After four tries I finally got a reserved notice and I’m wondering if anyone knows when these 77’s will start being produced.

After four tries I finally got a reserved notice and I’m wondering if anyone knows when these 77’s will start being produced.

I don't know for sure. GEC posted in-production pictures of the bolsters a couple weeks ago. Shot in the dark guess that they will be finished in a couple weeks, shipped and sorted for a week, and delivered around the last week of August. Totally just an off the cuff guess regarding the timing, but they are in production already. When it comes to GEC I don't really count on anything till I have it in hand. There's a couple big variables regarding timing.. the GEC rendezvous, the rendezvous knives.. a lot of things could stretch delivery out a couple weeks or push it up.

Well I missed out on this run by 20 minutes:(. The 77s are my favorite knife but maybe the new 86 will have a NF Barlow SFO.
Hope everyone that reserved one enjoys, especially with the great covers available!

Ad cover options: as they were announced I had some almost clear order of preference. As time goes by I'm like 'yea, whatever, just make it happen soon'. I see advantages to all of them.

Micarta - darn though and still good looking
AB - a classic, great contrast between bolsters and blackness of wood. Hoping for some light streaks.
Amber SCB - most visually appealing to me (as I imagine it, that is)
Red SCB - rare and sought after

My point is make it happen soon!

So clean looking with the non-matchstrike longpull. :thumbsup: I like it MUCH better!!
The crescent nicks with matchstrike are even worse!o_O
IMO;)
I agree on the matchstrike. I like the plain pull better, and also much prefer a plain nail nick to a long pull.
Regardless, this should be a nice knife, really looking forward to this as my first barlow. Undecided on my cover of choice, assuming that decision isn't made for me...

I agree on the matchstrike. I like the plain pull better, and also much prefer a plain nail nick to a long pull.
Regardless, this should be a nice knife, really looking forward to this as my first barlow. Undecided on my cover of choice, assuming that decision isn't made for me...
Oh yeah it's going to be nice, without a doubt!:thumbsup: What an epic "first"! Congrats in advance.

Back