GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

I am almost of a mind that lack of matchstrike pull means it’s a modern knife.

Maybe if more knives had matchstrikes we could finally get some decent matches again.

I just watched the Apostle P review of the 2015 #77 spear point and now I'm even more excited about seeing these,really soon I hope. I have one reserved,but since I don't know where I am on the order list I'm not sure which cover will be available to me.My first choice would be the red saw cut bone but I know they will go quickly. In the 40 plus years I have been buying knives I have never had an EDC pocket knife with wood covers so the African Blackwood would be nice to have. And since nobody does natural micarta better than GEC that would be welcome as well.Thanks to Mike for all his time and effort to make them available to us again.

I am very excited about this upcoming 77 run. At least on paper there's so much to like about this one for me... single spear blade, choice of (up to) 4 nice cover options, my first barlow pattern, good size. I just wish we had some indication of where they fall in the schedule. This waiting patiently without an end date in mind is very hard! I assume they are somewhere in progress, since we've seen the bolsters being stamped.

You can get strike anywheres still, you just gotta know where to look. But then you wouldn't need a nail nick on your knife because...well you could strike them anywhere. :D

has any one truly tested that match strike pull with a strike anywhere match to see if it works?

has any one truly tested that match strike pull with a strike anywhere match to see if it works?
I have. It does. Seemed like it waited till the very end though and lit on the termination of the pull and not necessarily on the groves but I think it only tried it on one so your results may vary.

I have. It does. Seemed like it waited till the very end though and lit on the termination of the pull and not necessarily on the groves but I think it only tried it on one so your results may vary.

neat! unfortunately they dont sell strike anywhere matches here, and the ones ive purchased in Canada long ago seems to have inactivated

neat! unfortunately they dont sell strike anywhere matches here, and the ones ive purchased in Canada long ago seems to have inactivated
I’m not positive but it think I got like 10 boxes on amazon. Uco brand I think. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen them in stores.

I’m ok with the wait- too many nice knives and I need to save up some $$

Same problem in its root (not enough funds), different strategies - I would love to buy some beautiful knives, but I am affraid to do it, because I fear not to have time to "regenerate" should 77 barlow strike suddenly, plus not knowing how much to set off. So I sit here with the money watching bautiful knives go by...

You are the player. I am cowa...ehm, too conservative.

Same problem in its root (not enough funds), different strategies - I would love to buy some beautiful knives, but I am affraid to do it, because I fear not to have time to "regenerate" should 77 barlow strike suddenly, plus not knowing how much to set off. So I sit here with the money watching bautiful knives go by...

You are the player. I am cowa...ehm, too conservative.
Yes, this is my issue as well... self imposed knife budget, already have the 77 reserved, letting some nice ones pass by for now!

I'm posting this with a disclamer! I have checked the past thread topics in the forum. I double checked the model numbers on the Great Eastern Production totals. But it is possible that I might have made a mistake. If someone finds a mistake, point it out to me and if I can confirm it I will change this post. I have shown examples of each type that has been produced up till current.

First run:
Two blade with Clip and Wharncliffe
NS bolsters, brass liners and pins
#771214 Northfield LVS Abalone
#771214 Northfield Dark Chestnut Saw Cut Bone
#771214 Northfield Red Camel Bone
#771214 Northfield Pioneer Bone
#771214 Northfield Stag
#771214 Northfield African Blackwood

16104572412_c4edb1dc21_b.jpg

Second run:
Single blade clip, single blade Sheepsfoot and single blade Wharncliffe.
NS bolsters, liners and pins.

*About a dozen Old Red Sawcut Bone Sheepsfoot 77s were made with brass liners & pins.

#770115 Northfield - Wharncliffe
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
OLD TAN SAWCUT BONE
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE
STAG

36476715184_11fe1ab70e_b.jpg

#771115 Northfield - Clip
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE
OLD TAN SAWCUT BONE
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
STAG

#773115 Northfield - Sheepsfoot
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE*
OLD TAN SAWCUT BONE
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
STAG

16581144300_6e8f68e91f_b.jpg

Third run:
Two blade with Spear and Coping
Single blade with Spear
STL bolsters, liners and pins.

#772215 NORTHFIELD - Spear and Coping
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE
SMOOTH IVORY BONE
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
NATURAL CANVAS MICARTA
SAMBAR STAG

#772115 NORTHFIELD - Spear
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE
SMOOTH IVORY BONE
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
NATURAL CANVAS MICARTA
SAMBAR STAG

23963269262_21eae36b82_b.jpg

Fourth run:
Single blade "Pinchable" clip w/matchstrike pull

#771116 NORTHFIELD
SPRING GREEN SAWCUT BONE
BONE CANVAS MICARTA
COPPERHEAD SAWCUT BONE
BLOOD RED JIG BONE

31276756985_0c667a0656_b.jpg

Fifth run:
Two blade "Pinchable clip w/matchstrike pull and coping

#771218 Northfield
Desert Ironwood
Natural Linen Micarta
Blood Red Sawcut Bone
Elderberry Camel Bone

39897069340_c7b3175fd2_b.jpg

Those Abalone 2 blades were the ticket. If anyone has one of those I'd love to see pictures. I remember when they came out wanting one but thinking they were too expensive and abalone didn't make sense on a barlow. SILLY!

I'd love to see your examples of them!

Back