GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

It will be a sad day if I see a dealer name etch on a NF Barlow. I feel like these don't have an etch for a reason. Hopefully GEC grandfathers a few lines, the TC & NF Barlow's, the Bladeforums knife, Lonestar ship knives... just rambling off a few. There's several others that should be exempt from the dealers name etch, the Barlow's come to mind first. I know the etch wipes off. I collect these so removing the etch is not something I would do. On a user the etch doesn't matter.

Well we will soon find out. :D

How do you know? The liners are rounded and the wood hangs over quite a bit, leaving me to believe its extra for rounding. Otherwise I would think they would have square butted the liners and the wood would come right to the edge with nearly or no extra, and they would have chamfered the butt.

All speculation right now, I'm just glad to know I'll have to spend my money soon.
Of course I don’t know, but I got one of the ironwoods from the last run so I was looking at the production pics the and I think I remember the scales looking the same, the other reason is that the shape of the Blackwood scales is exactly the same as the saw cut ones. The other reason is that if you are going to just round off all the surfaces why bother putting that bevel/ chamfer on at all. I think the scales will be the same shape as the ironwood ones from last years run. Doesn’t make much of a difference though, I’ll probably go after one of the saw cut ones but will be happy with any. I just hope they keep coming with the pictures.

Of course I don’t know, but I got one of the ironwoods from the last run so I was looking at the production pics the and I think I remember the scales looking the same, the other reason is that the shape of the Blackwood scales is exactly the same as the saw cut ones. The other reason is that if you are going to just round off all the surfaces why bother putting that bevel/ chamfer on at all. I think the scales will be the same shape as the ironwood ones from last years run. Doesn’t make much of a difference though, I’ll probably go after one of the saw cut ones but will be happy with any. I just hope they keep coming with the pictures.

I figure you'd chamber the sides so it would be even and hand float the bottom. I want one regardless.
Not thrilled about the etch. Nothing against CK at all.

Can't wait, glad its close.

The sides will be chamfered and the but will be square, if you look at the bone ones they are the exact same shape, they’ll all be sanded down flat on the butt and sides to meet the liners and then sanded up by the bolsters to me there. The sides will stay at the angle they’re at. Just like the ironwood from this picture I borrowed without permission from @Buzzbait
View attachment 1184044
I see. Somehow I managed to think you are trying to say the scales will be radiused all around like these (not my photo and unfortunately I don't remember who posted it):
great-eastern-cutlery-gec-northfield-1-c66a5746f1d7d884fb8f480ce.jpg

That's good news, as I like chamfered edges more, but bad news for my decision process.

I see. Somehow I managed to think you are trying to say the scales will be radiused all around like these (not my photo and unfortunately I don't remember who posted it):

That's good news, as I like chamfered edges more, but bad news for my decision process.
Right, I don’t think it will be like that picture, I think the top will be flat and the sides will have 45 degree angles (I hope) of course I seem to be wrong as much as I’m right.

I hope they are rounded off like this photo. The Ironwoods from the last run seem a bit clunky with the flat sides and square corners. IMO

These 77’s look great, but is it me or does the actual sawcut marks look really light?? These almost look like smooth bone in the pics.

These 77’s look great, but is it me or does the actual sawcut marks look really light?? These almost look like smooth bone in the pics.
Yea the last run had some light saw cut. My knife had some smooth spots.

I was hoping the African Blackwood would be close to Gabon Ebony on this one. I know some were hoping for colors in it but I may have to go for another one if I have the opportunity. Sigh. We'll see I guess.

I missed out on this new offering, but truth be told, I'm not all that disappointed. This is not a case of "sour grapes" or anything, but I've always preferred two blade Barlows with clip main blades, and this one suits me to a T.

IMG_0727-X3.jpg

Not a big fan of red but that's really nice!

Back