1. Week 49 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 7 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Oct 30, 2014.

1. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    Just my case. Very happy with those streaks. Pushed me closer to choosing AB. Heck, I will be happy with any variant (if there's no blade play that is :-D ).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    cbr1000 and Boxer .45 like this.
  2. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    I have one just like it. One of my favorite knives. Was lucky enough to have purchased it from a member recently.

[​IMG]

Ironbut likes this.
  3. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    I have one just like it. One of my favorite knives. Was lucky enough to have purchased it from a member recently.

[​IMG]

4. Pgg365247

Pgg365247 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Man, I was really hoping for the deep dark African Blackwood like the old #77's. Oh well...

mrknife, TFBraden and Boxer .45 like this.
  5. Boxer .45

Boxer .45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Made me reorganize my priority list actually.

6. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Yeah, I think I may be getting AB now.:rolleyes:

7. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    I think the red sawcut is gonna be the big winner. What do you guys and gals think?

Old Engineer, cigarrodog and cbr1000 like this.
  8. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    I think that whatever way they choose to make them, ink black or blonde streaks, chamfered or radiused, spear or clip, single or double bladed, some will be more happy than others. So let's just agree we are all going to be happy to some degree.

Except for those who did not manage to get their name on the list. :p

tmd_87 and Boxer .45 like this.
  9. Boxer .45

Boxer .45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2015
    I do agree with you there, theres really not going to be a bad one. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have your own listed preference so when the day comes... :)

10. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    Oh, I dread that day! I hope red saw cut will be gone before it's my turn. Otherwise I might be tempted to get one just because it seems to be sought after.

In my case, whichever I get, I will be still wondering whether some of the other ones would be more to my liking. You really can't win this game unless getting them all. :eek:

Boxer .45 and akaMatt like this.
  11. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Wanting the one you think everyone else might want seems......foreign to me.
    I hope everyone wants the Red Sawcut because that is the one I want least.:D

cigarrodog and tmd_87 like this.
  12. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    It's called 'fear of missing out'.
    Mind starts playing tricks on me suggesting I might be missing out on something I do not get yet.

13. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    I want one in some black wood with some blonde streaks!

Kinda like this....
    IMG_9598.jpg

14. AnW

AnW Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Having a hard time choosing. I'm thinking maybe the sawcut amber but to be honest even the photos of the Micarta from the last run look great. Anticipation is killing me!

tmd_87 and akaMatt like this.
  15. rdave

rdave Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2013
    after a couple of years of drought, I am in the camp that will be happy with 2 of anything - I like 2 blades too

tmd_87 and willard0341 like this.
  16. Fox79

Fox79 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I’m leaning toward the AB. I already have two 77’s with the jet black AB so when I saw these I was excited for the variation/streaks. They actually all look good. I think the wood will be a good choice since I’m after 3 of the 92’s all in bone.

tmd_87 likes this.
  17. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I would go for the AB. Unfortunately I was at a meeting when the reserve went up. They are coming along nicely though.

tmd_87 likes this.
  18. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    The AB and Ebony slabs usually seem lighter to me when the wood is being worked, and the knives are shown in early progress. I think the AB will look great after it's all polished up...even with a bit of brown.

[​IMG]

And - I'm rootin' for the squared-off butt end! ;)

Ramrodmb, TFBraden, tmd_87 and 3 others like this.
  19. Jak3

Jak3

Sep 6, 2016
    I’m all in for an AB but there was nothing specified on the reserve. How do we know which one we get? Hoping for squared ends and chamfered covers.

Thank you.

20. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 10, 2017
    Think we'll get to choose when they're ready based on order of our reservation. Not quite sure the logistics of how exactly that will be done. I'm in for any, preferably the AB, but they all look good so far to me.

Jak3 likes this.