GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

I was hoping the African Blackwood would be close to Gabon Ebony on this one. I know some were hoping for colors in it but I may have to go for another one if I have the opportunity. Sigh. We'll see I guess.

Just my case. Very happy with those streaks. Pushed me closer to choosing AB. Heck, I will be happy with any variant (if there's no blade play that is :-D ).

Last edited:
I missed out on this new offering, but truth be told, I'm not all that disappointed. This is not a case of "sour grapes" or anything, but I've always preferred two blade Barlows with clip main blades, and this one suits me to a T.

IMG_0727-X3.jpg
I have one just like it. One of my favorite knives. Was lucky enough to have purchased it from a member recently.

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg

I missed out on this new offering, but truth be told, I'm not all that disappointed. This is not a case of "sour grapes" or anything, but I've always preferred two blade Barlows with clip main blades, and this one suits me to a T.

IMG_0727-X3.jpg
I have one just like it. One of my favorite knives. Was lucky enough to have purchased it from a member recently.

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg

I think that whatever way they choose to make them, ink black or blonde streaks, chamfered or radiused, spear or clip, single or double bladed, some will be more happy than others. So let's just agree we are all going to be happy to some degree.

Except for those who did not manage to get their name on the list. :p

I think that whatever way they choose to make them, ink black or blonde streaks, chamfered or radiused, spear or clip, single or double bladed, some will be more happy than others. So let's just agree we are all going to be happy to some degree.

Except for those who did not manage to get their name on the list. :p

I do agree with you there, theres really not going to be a bad one. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have your own listed preference so when the day comes... :)

I do agree with you there, theres really not going to be a bad one. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have your own listed preference so when the day comes... :)

Oh, I dread that day! I hope red saw cut will be gone before it's my turn. Otherwise I might be tempted to get one just because it seems to be sought after.

In my case, whichever I get, I will be still wondering whether some of the other ones would be more to my liking. You really can't win this game unless getting them all. :eek:

It's called 'fear of missing out'.
Mind starts playing tricks on me suggesting I might be missing out on something I do not get yet.

I’m leaning toward the AB. I already have two 77’s with the jet black AB so when I saw these I was excited for the variation/streaks. They actually all look good. I think the wood will be a good choice since I’m after 3 of the 92’s all in bone.

I would go for the AB. Unfortunately I was at a meeting when the reserve went up. They are coming along nicely though.

The AB and Ebony slabs usually seem lighter to me when the wood is being worked, and the knives are shown in early progress. I think the AB will look great after it's all polished up...even with a bit of brown.

JGqCGLF.jpg

And - I'm rootin' for the squared-off butt end! ;)

I’m all in for an AB but there was nothing specified on the reserve. How do we know which one we get? Hoping for squared ends and chamfered covers.

Thank you.

Think we'll get to choose when they're ready based on order of our reservation. Not quite sure the logistics of how exactly that will be done. I'm in for any, preferably the AB, but they all look good so far to me.

Back