GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

The AB and Ebony slabs usually seem lighter to me when the wood is being worked, and the knives are shown in early progress. I think the AB will look great after it's all polished up...even with a bit of brown.

JGqCGLF.jpg

And - I'm rootin' for the squared-off butt end! ;)

Wow thats outstanding. Yours? Model (dogleg)?

Thinking about these handle covers, I've confused myself into a corner.
If I have several choices I'm not sure what I'm going to pick... The Blackwood is nice and wood tends to be my favorite material. The bone options are looking beautiful and my collection certainly could use a little color. Heck, even the Micarta is a strong consideration if a savings can be had. It's going to be a game-time decision. :)

Thinking about these handle covers, I've confused myself into a corner.
If I have several choices I'm not sure what I'm going to pick... The Blackwood is nice and wood tends to be my favorite material. The bone options are looking beautiful and my collection certainly could use a little color. Heck, even the Micarta is a strong consideration if a savings can be had. It's going to be a game-time decision. :)

The last time micarta was offered I don't recall a significant difference in price. I'm in the same boat as you - not sure what to go with. It's hard to pass on any of these. You can almost never go wrong with sawcut or wood. The micarta is fun and makes for a great user. I will probably just wait and see what's offered when it's my turn.

Thank you. It's a GEC 48 Improved Trapper from the 2017 run - an SFO of Mike's. It seems to have darkened just a bit since the pics were taken. Here's a shot from the mark side...

ngFOnZa.jpg

Whew, man I really like that knife. I love seeing pictures of CK 48 SFO... Now if he would do a run in smooth white bone that would make for a killer pair.

Whew, man I really like that knife. I love seeing pictures of CK 48 SFO... Now if he would do a run in smooth white bone that would make for a killer pair.

cbr1000 cbr1000 - the CK 48 SFO is still a knife you find on the secondary market for a fair price if you keep an eye out. The 48’s are one GEC’s best patterns in my opinion.

By the way, I’m looking at my 2014 77 barlow in AB and the sides are chamfered but the end is square. My 2015 AB 77 is totally rounded. I think I like the chamfered square butt more. The covers seem thicker that way.

Did we ever find out if these were going to have steel bolsters?

Supposed to be nickel silver bolster and liners, according to CK reserve page. Some WIP pics I've seen make me think the bolsters look like steel, though. Wouldn't mind that a bit, myself...looking forward either way.

What’s the best guess when these will drop? Curious because I’m off grid the rest of this week.

Updated pics of the 77s on the GEC page. They look great!

There are a couple new pics with what appears to be untrimmed wood slabs by them that have me a little confused. Unless those are uncut micarta, but they look more like ironwood in one of the pics. Wouldn't that be a nice surprise for a few folks if it was a special edition to make up for a short order or something.

Updated pics of the 77s on the GEC page. They look great!

There are a couple new pics with what appears to be untrimmed wood slabs by them that have me a little confused. Unless those are uncut micarta, but they look more like ironwood in one of the pics. Wouldn't that be a nice surprise for a few folks if it was a special edition to make up for a short order or something.

IMG_9732.jpg

ETev2K4.jpg

Back