1. Week 49 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 7 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Jak3

Jak3

Sep 6, 2016
    Y'all are making me sweat here. Mine still says reserved but I haven't been emailed yet. I can't wait!

mrknife and tmd_87 like this.
  2. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    What a tough decision! I went with red and I think I already genuinely regret not going with the amber. The pics make it look so good! But I have a red sawcut sheepfoot that I wanted to match.

What a fun problem to have! Congrats to those who have scored and good luck to those who still hope to!

akaMatt, Pgg365247, Ramrodmb and 3 others like this.
  3. NHHunter

NHHunter

Dec 26, 2009
    Out of curiosity, how long ago did the reservation process begin (this was via collectorknives correct?)? safe assumption it filled nearly instantly? I so want a barlow ....i have a total of 2 GEC's: a possum skinner and a 29 coffee house...

4. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Looks like July 12 is when I got the email confirming my reservation.

SnailOffTheTrail likes this.
  5. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    I believe it was July 12th. Reservation was closed in matter of minutes. If you want a #77 barlow, you have to go via CK. Just make sure you are in early reserve system.

6. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    What’s happening, I feel like something is very wrong here, very wrong

Boxer .45 likes this.
  7. NHHunter

NHHunter

Dec 26, 2009
    I'll head over there and sign up now. This may be a newbie question, but, is this generally a once a year type of production run?

mrknife likes this.
  8. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    Yes, luckily it seems to get made every year. Unlike many many other patterns we are waiting for.

9. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Reserved, but...waiting.

10. NHHunter

NHHunter

Dec 26, 2009
    Thank you for your feedback...much appreciated:thumbsup:

11. Pgg365247

Pgg365247 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I had this exact thought... I also have a red saw cut sheepsfoot and was so close to going with red saw cut on this run to have a matching set. In the end, I couldn't pass up the chance at this very unique amber sawcut. It is just so different from previous amber saw cut runs. The aged look of this run's amber sawcut just spoke to me.

tmd_87, pmek5 and Kiteman72 like this.
  12. Ajd3530

Ajd3530

Jan 20, 2017
    I can't believe it. I had the option of any of the 4 covers and went with... Micarta?? I might be broken.

But seriously. I think the amber bone is the dud of the group. I mean, its still handsome, and folks seem to really like it, but it just looks as dull as B&W television to me.

fatboyclone, bbk357, HEMI 49 and 2 others like this.
  13. Kiteman72

Jan 22, 2015
    It didn't help that the AB and micarta options were total winners as well. Still pulling my hair out over here, haha. Pretty happy with my choice tho.

tmd_87 likes this.
  14. Kiteman72

Jan 22, 2015
    I totally see what you're sayin', but I think the amber will be as close as we ever get to an "Ancient" 77 barlow.

It's got that look. That I freakin' just love. :)

15. JITDC

JITDC Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I went with the Amber. All of the others were great choices but the uniqueness of the Amber sawcut in the entire 77 run just seemed to fill a void I didn’t even realize was there. That may be a bit of stretch but it did seem to look great and different. Can’t wait to get it in hand and see pics of all the others.

Ramrodmb, mrknife, cigarrodog and 4 others like this.
  16. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    Is he emailing everyone? Also I guess I wasn’t as quick on the draw as I thought

shadowram and mrknife like this.
  17. HOMER GRIFIN

HOMER GRIFIN

Apr 15, 2015
    With 500 plus emails to send maybe I won't get a message til tomorrow

18. Boxer .45

Boxer .45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Every work parking lot at 5:01 pm everywhere!
    [​IMG]

DavidLim, EngrSorenson, Fox79 and 8 others like this.
  19. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Honestly, I entertained, for the briefest of moments, the notion of going with the Amber Sawcut. The collector in me was hollering, "That one will be worth something!". However, I acquire and keep knives that have appeal to me (functionally and aesthetically). As much as I enjoy sawcut, in any color, I favor red and that meant that the amber was taking a backseat, regardless if it becomes more desirable in the future or not.

I do not regret my choice. If I end up getting a washed out red, I will consider re-dyeing it.

Ramrodmb and JohnDF like this.
  20. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Hmm, no notification for me yet either.

mrknife and Boxer .45 like this.