GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

9dIwA8H.jpg

Threw this one in the pocket in anticipation, as I headed out the door. I'm a huge clip point fan, gonna try and embrace the spear blade when it shows up. :cool:

Last edited:
I can't believe it. I had the option of any of the 4 covers and went with... Micarta?? I might be broken.

But seriously. I think the amber bone is the dud of the group. I mean, its still handsome, and folks seem to really like it, but it just looks as dull as B&W television to me.

To each there own, but something to consider is Amber is the only new cover available. So, even though it's B&W it has that brand new attraction for some of us. Good choice on going with Micarta. That's what I went with last year and it looks even better in person.

I got an amber sawcut! Was getting nervous they would all be gone, while I would have been very happy with any option, the amber sawcut was my clear favorite with the African Blackwood being a just as clear 2nd favorite. Very excited to get this in hand and pocket! First actual factory new 77!

"We will hold a knife in your name for 24 hours; BUT the next group of folks will be offered their selection in a few hours - so pick asap if you want a particular variant."

From the app I got the test the other day from Mike, and I know I'm still getting them because I've been communicating with someone else in my contact list.
However I did not get a notification through the app, it came by email.
This may have been because I also signed up for the email list? I got the test after that though.

Just a heads up, check your email and junk boxes often if you don't get email alerts. JIC.

I don't "collect", per se... I can't let a knife sit unused... so it was all about feel in the hand for me. I'm probably more torn about not going with the micarta than anything else at the moment, because I think it looks just as unique as the amber. But I'm very happy with my AB selection.

AB for me. My preferences from the beginning was either the AB or amber. Those amber looked sweet but I don't really care for saw cut. Smooth bone in amber would have won me over. I just prefer the feel of rounded handle material in my hand rather than the flat surface and edge on the saw cut. All though after having placed my order I was having second thoughts LOL.

Having missed the boat on this run of 77 NF Barlow’s for the first time since they started this is a mute point! But, if I had my number pulled for this run I would definitely have taken the Amber Sawcut! :thumbsup: First because it’s unique, having never been offered on the 77 Barlow, second, I think it’s got instant classic written all over it because it already looks like a vintage knife. :cool: Congratulations to all who will get one of these 500 knives regardless of cover choice. Kudos to Mike knifeswapper knifeswapper and the fine folks at Great Eastern Cutlery! :thumbsup:

From the app I got the test the other day from Mike, and I know I'm still getting them because I've been communicating with someone else in my contact list.
However I did not get a notification through the app, it came by email.
This may have been because I also signed up for the email list? I got the test after that though.

The app has nothing to do with this process. The app is just for notification of newly schedule products.

Back