GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

I just woke up and saw email. I wanted to make a quick decision but had not been thinking about it. All the variants look really nice. I decided to go with the Amber Sawcut. I just love the look of old parchment! Wish I could have made 4 choices! Enjoy everyone who got in.

I got red. I've been seeing so many red over the years my mind was already made up since all my other covers are wood. Lots of fun.

I'm still back here chilling at the end of the line.
Red was still available when I made my selection. But I ultimately went with amber because the photo posted today was just too awesome. It's the epitome of a Barlow cover, at least to my eye. The problem is, it's THAT particular knife in the photo. Hopefully my example will look just as awesome. I'll be anxiously awaiting the delivery.

I'm not sure I need another single spearpoint slipjoint because my 78 jack is maybe my favorite slipjoint but this one is just too cool looking. Anyway, I hope everyone gets their choice!

Red was still available when I made my selection. But I ultimately went with amber because the photo posted today was just too awesome. It's the epitome of a Barlow cover, at least to my eye. The problem is, it's THAT particular knife in the photo. Hopefully my example will look just as awesome. I'll be anxiously awaiting the delivery.

I'm not sure I need another single spearpoint slipjoint because my 78 jack is maybe my favorite slipjoint but this one is just too cool looking. Anyway, I hope everyone gets their choice!
Yeah, but there are at least two that look that awesome. One for me and one for you

Looks like all the choices are available still. Speaking of which did anyone have the snake wood option?
It wasn't an option in the email I received at 6:46 pm EST.

Maybe those snakewoods will go to standby folks. They have to be extras, right? Not like CK couldn't move a few more of these instantly...

It wasn't an option in the email I received at 6:46 pm EST.

Maybe those snakewoods will go to standby folks. They have to be extras, right? Not like CK couldn't move a few more of these instantly...
I don’t know, I think if they run out of a certain kind of cover they fill the gap with something else to make up the 500, so there would be fewer of those, what happens to them after they get made is up to Mike, not a bad consolation prize for being on standby if that’s what he does.

I don’t know, I think if they run out of a certain kind of cover they fill the gap with something else to make up the 500, so there would be fewer of those, what happens to them after they get made is up to Mike, not a bad consolation prize for being on standby if that’s what he does.
If that's the case, the consolation prize would end up the rarest version. That would be something!

I'm sure we will find out the method behind the madness at some point.

My reasoning? I have a forum knife coming someday, so the AB seemed a bit redundant. I also have a red saw cut from the last run. I thought the amber saw cut looked far too washed out for my liking.

That left micarta. I have a few micarta 77 Barlow’s and love them all. Barlow’s are working knives to me, and I can’t imagine a finer handle material for hard work than micarta.

I’m also more of a two blade kind of guy, as single blade knives often feel too thin in my long fingered hands. I figured that the rounded micarta covers would feel thicker in my hand than flat saw cut bone.

I don't have a GEC knife with African Blackwood covers, so that was my choice. I can't wait to receive it.

Back