GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

If my red bone looks like that I'll be thrilled. I asked Mike to pick me out a darker one but I'm sure everyone asked him for something.

Its a tiny bit heavier than my ideal but that is a hell of a lot of knife for 3.5oz

Last edited:
I hope the Sambar Stag emails go out today :D. Gorgeous pieces everyone.

Me too! All these pictures are making me excited to check one out in person. Might be the first wharncliffe bladed knife to stick around for me.

The MO is in the mail, so just going by the photo from GEC, and those posted on Facebook and here, I think the sawcut will look great. I wish I had had the $ to get one of each, but I will only carry one.

I would hope to see spear point blades in this pattern, from both you and Charlie. Single blades on this pattern also.

My blackwood version just showed up a few minutes ago. Sorry for the poor pictures but I'm at work and the lighting is poor to say the least. :) Overall I love the knife though. A little heavy for me but you get a heck of a lot of cutting edge and fit and finish are perfect. Love the deep nail nick in the swedge! Very easy to open and snaps open and closed with authority but maintains about a 6 on the pull scale. Would be perfect for me with a single blade so hopefully next run. :)

Jake

C360_2014-10-31-14-20-11-170_zpsjd2atlkh.jpg
C360_2014-10-31-14-20-51-057_zpsrumsgcef.jpg

Last edited:
Checked tracking and mine was delivered , so went home at lunch to check it out. Very nice fit and finish, love the sawcut bone covers, very nice chestnut that fades to a pale yellow near the bolsters. I still wish I had ordered a Blackwood as well ( not instead ) all of those pics look fantastic. I am new to traditionals and so what surprised me the most was that although this is a two blade ( single would still be preferred ) it is no thicker than my #77 Viper with burnt stag handles, I definitley was expecting a thick knife and was pleasantly surprised. Although I am not a fan of two blades I do like that it has 2 full size blades and the chosen blade shapes. The blade finish on this one is great too, no etch and not polished. Very happy with this one.

My dog barked telling me the mailman was on the walk. I was so excited the postal carrier didn't need to open the mailbox. He was met at the door where he handed me the package that was so anxiously awaited . Even though today is Halloween he could have said "Merry Christmas" and been accurate as far as I was concerned. The package contained a Chestnut Brown Sawcut Northfield #77.

First impressions were;
most protective packaging of any knife purchase - shrink wrapped (good job Mike)
somewhat heavier in hand than anticipated, feels like solid quality (good job GEC)
better than expected color (IMHO), more lively than the usual Chestnut Brown with reds and yellows making it more interesting
perfect size in hand, comfortable to hold with clip open and wharncliff closed
has a good chance of becoming my favorite traditional

blademan13, beautiful. I think that knife fulfills Mike's vision for the camel bone very nicely.

I am on day 2 with my 77 Barlow and I am really happy with this knife. Strangely, I have not cut anything with it yet, I am using other knives! I just want to enjoy the shiny newness for now.:)

And a few repeats from yesterday...just because I like 'em.

Curtis

It is always a gamble on natural materials. I am happy with my recent #77 draws overall. The red bone is not quite as dark as it appears here and does have some pink hues.

imagejpg1_zpsdbd23154.jpg

Very nice fit & finish on this one and the wood has that reddish-brown warmth. I can't help comparing it to the TC Barlow. It's every bit as fine. A bit larger we know, especially with the closed wharncliff width, like the sheepfoot TC Barlow . Feels very similar in hand. I believe it's a winner!

Guess what just arrived in the mail. Outstanding! I'm very impressed.

Great F&F, blades are perfectly centered, beautiful all around! Great work, Mike!

i-GCRfX8b-X2.jpg

Nice pics Addylo! These are shaping up to be some mighty fine barlows, thanks again Mike!!!

I just got the notice for the stag offerings and they looked really nice on Mike's site. I picked out one with lots of gnarly character :) I'll post some pics when my stag and pioneer bone arrive!

Hi everyone,
I also received my new blackwood 77 Marlow yesterday, and took a few pictures of it to share, as well as a few comparison group shots.
I was very impressed right away after opening it. Great fit and finish just like everyone else reports, and after flushing the joints, superb walk and talk. The frame size is just about perfect for me. I feel that it fits in a nice spot size wise; a bit bigger and more substantial than my Charlow and other 15s, but not as meaty and bulky as my 73.
But, I do have a confession to make: this knife has my two least favorite main blade shapes. Can't seem to get along with a clip main, or a wharnie main, with paired with a smaller secondary, or as a single blade knife. Putting these two blades together in equal sizes in the same knife, however, is just brilliant!! One blade with a belly, one blade with a straight edge, and both "main" blade size. I think the usefulness of this combo will be tremendous.
If I had the opportunity to choose specs for a future run, I would LOVE to see either a EO single blade sheepsfoot, or an EO sheepsfoot with a caplifter secondary. I hope this frame takes off like the 15 has!!
Thank you very much Mike!
B.
20141031_135729_zpsklxhpn3r.jpg

20141031_140141_zpskyw0qgmp.jpg

20141031_140301_zpsocbw7qku.jpg

20141031_135811_zpskrazsffn.jpg

20141031_135844_zpsgnqgqwwb.jpg

Dark Chestnut Northfield Model 77 Barlow:
n51v9i.jpg

beside Model 15 TC Barlow for size comparison:
2db1lpl.jpg

2nc3yia.jpg

2lsy9he.jpg

As usual - a very well made knife by GEC. :)

So somehow delivery of my Barlows was attempted at 2:30 and they are now being returned as "undeliverable as addressed" I've never had this happen before and of course it had to be this box. Can you guys believe that crap!?! 😡

I know it wasn't Mikes fault. On hold with USPS now to try to salvage it. Of course tracking takes hours to update so I couldn't track it down during business hours. Probably already on its way back.

Back