GEC #86 2021: Angus Jack, 2AB, Spring Street Barlow (BF Knife)

Both beautiful knives. :thumbsup:

I’ll be curious to see how many of these were made when they publish this year’s production totals. They sure seemed to go fast. I usually do ok if there’s a knife I really want, but I struck out all around on this run.
Same here. No dice. Despite having phone in hand with both alerts. I don't think they made nearly enough to go around. :thumbsdown:

It's made harder by the fact that there are only 2 dealers that I want to buy from, I suppose.

Both beautiful knives. :thumbsup:

I’ll be curious to see how many of these were made when they publish this year’s production totals. They sure seemed to go fast. I usually do ok if there’s a knife I really want, but I struck out all around on this run.
I was told the run on both variations combined was just under 700. That's really not a small run for them, but the demand seems really high. A lot of people were trying to get one of each.

I missed all the drops on the 86 Angus. Hopefully I will be able to get one of the bone 2ABs. These things are selling out even faster than normal, if that is even possible.

Had you asked me year ago I would have said NO to any knife with bone handles. However, this forum - the porch - has pulled me towards them and I'd come to really like the look of them. However, since I don't have any knives with bone handles I have no references or anything else to help me with this question except for you guys. For me, the Rust Orange on the #86 barlow seems like a quite light color. In terms of durability, how well will the color hold up should the knife be a user?

View attachment 1643461
It holds up perfectly well. My 23L has similar colored bone, and I carry it often as a beater knife. I live in Oklahoma and am often sweaty, working in dirt or oil. I don’t think it would do well with a long drop though. But neither does most wood.

So I ordered ebony because that's all there was, but I lucked out and got a really nice looking medium-well!
Yours will probably be marked well done though. Mine is somewhat similar with red/brown and black strides in it. That is typically how Macassar is when you see it- blended. The red is the sapwood and black is heartwood.

Yours will probably be marked well done though. Mine is somewhat similar with red/brown and black strides in it. That is typically how Macassar is when you see it- blended. The red is the sapwood and black is heartwood.
Yeah I meant to say I ordered well done because that's all there was. Very happy with this look.

I really like the looks of that Rust Orange Bone on the 2AB - it reminds me a wee bit of some of the old red bone that can be found on older Case Barlows.

4fRdf58.jpg

hRt3Os2.jpg

Back