GEC #86 2021: Angus Jack, 2AB, Spring Street Barlow (BF Knife)

View attachment 1646850

Haven't seen this pic here yet. These are going to be incredible. Instant classic.
Other pic:

6DHkDh0.jpg

I don't follow GEC nearly as closely as I used to, so it was only today that I stumbled across the #86 2 Acorn Barlow. This is the Barlow I've dreamed about ever since I first got into the pattern in 2015: stainless, micarta, bolster stamp, no shield, GEC. 😍 What an outstanding knife.

Got this one in the mail today. I have to say, I like it more than I thought I would. The black and red Micarta is nice, I really like the bolster stamp (though I agree it could be moved up a bit, maybe not centered, just a further up from the edge) and overall the knife feels great in hand and is finished really well. I would prefer it in 1095, but that’s just a minor personal preference, and stainless has never kept me from buying or using a GEC that I liked.

0Unqk8Q.jpg

ocp1vOb.jpg

I will say, having now seen it in person, that I’m still a bit hesitant about sharpening that recurve, at least with my usual method. Yes, the recurve is very slight, but in my (admittedly amateur and limited/narrow) experience, I don’t see a way to put that edge on a flat stone (I use 8” DMT DiaSharp continuous surface diamond plates) and sharpen the whole thing, other than removing enough metal from the heel and belly to flatten out the recurve entirely (which is not something I’m particularly keen to do). Maybe I need a stick/rod system of some sort.

Got this one in the mail today. I have to say, I like it more than I thought I would. The black and red Micarta is nice, I really like the bolster stamp (though I agree it could be moved up a bit, maybe not centered, just a further up from the edge) and overall the knife feels great in hand and is finished really well. I would prefer it in 1095, but that’s just a minor personal preference, and stainless has never kept me from buying or using a GEC that I liked.

0Unqk8Q.jpg

ocp1vOb.jpg

I will say, having now seen it in person, that I’m still a bit hesitant about sharpening that recurve, at least with my usual method. Yes, the recurve is very slight, but in my (admittedly amateur and limited/narrow) experience, I don’t see a way to put that edge on a flat stone (I use 8” DMT DiaSharp continuous surface diamond plates) and sharpen the whole thing, other than removing enough metal from the heel and belly to flatten out the recurve entirely (which is not something I’m particularly keen to do). Maybe I need a stick/rod system of some sort.
I'll get mine out and look at it. I'm guessing maybe the location of the pin in the bolster was not conducive to grinding down and polishing in or near the stamped logo. Make sense?

Back