GEC #99 Wall Street and Blade Play

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not picking on you, but more so the overall thought of this.

I really don't understand this. I can't complain about the gas mileage in my car if I drive around with the E-Brake on. People are complaining of a "fault" only found when using the knife in a way that it was never intended.

I mean, I understand the appeal of a "bank vault" lock up, and I would understand if you could feel the blade moving around while cutting through thick cardboard. If you can only feel it when you manipulate it, though, is it really an issue?
I never said I was "complaining". I was just answering your question and adding to the data. Maybe it was a trap question?

I'm not a fan of the expression "fake news" but I've owned every lockback that GEC has made and not one has exhibited blade play. I repeat not one.

Well, I have the opposite experience. I have [admittedly only] two 72s from the '16 run and both have a lot of play in all directions. After that experience, I swore to never buy another GEC lockback without handling it first.

Nevertheless, the 99s came calling. After missing out on all of the dealer availability, I picked one up on the big auction site (in the mail right now). One of the things that lead me to pull the trigger on this example (at an egregious price) was that the seller described the knife as having "surprisingly solid" lockup. So, obviously he has also come across the GEC lockback blade play issue at some point.

I guess it's time for me to plead the "luck of the Irish" even if I'm not. All I can say is I've sold all but one of my lockbacks and not one person has complained.

Also, some people can find a "ton of play" where others can find none at all - just depends on your background and expectations.
I know !
We are discussing blade play and vertical play in the lock in Buck 110s in another thread. Mine has both and the knife hasn't been used much beyond a desk ornament for thirty plus years and other people say theirs has none.
I wonder if some don't get "western" enough with the blade to feel it.

Wowbagger Wowbagger Rock lock is hit or miss on lock backs .
It doesn’t change the safety of the lock Up at all especially with normal use like intended. If you want to get “western” with it maybe it would be in your best interest and safety to be looking at a fixed blade ;)

I sold a 72 because of the vertical play. Since then Ive went all out looking for the best lockback available....I have found a few with zero play. A parker for $20 on ebay had none. A $400 custom had none. A $900 custom had a little. Then I risked divorce and spent 25 times what I paid for that 72 and guess what? Vertical play....i thought...well darn...still a fine knife and very well made.. the 72 was well made and beautiful as well, wish I would have kept it. I finally figured out that if I'm looking for absolute machined perfection I may as well start buying cold, ugly hunks of titanium with weird looking blades again.

I have 2 99's from this run.

one had very solid lockup and scuffed bolsters, and the other has the tiniest bit of up/down movement when locked.

i am happy with both. They are very nice looking, very slim, and sharpppppp.

I went ahead and sent an email to KSF inquiring about an exchange. I doubt that will be an option, though. I’ll see what they say and go from there. Thanks everyone for the info.

I just received the #99 I was able to get last week that KSF had for sale. I like everything about it, except that it has both vertical and horizontal blade play. I'm just getting into traditional knives, so I'm wondering if this is acceptable and/or normal for this knife or not. The only other lock backs that I have are my 110s and 112s and none of them have it.
It wouldn’t hurt to ask and it really depends how much play and how much it bothers you . Maybe KSF can hunt you down one with little to none .
If it only has a little I wouldn’t be to concerned but either way I hope you get one you’ll be happy with :)
KSF has second to none customer service so they will take care of you :thumbsup:

It wouldn’t hurt to ask and it really depends how much play and how much it bothers you . Maybe KSF can hunt you down one with little to none .
If it only has a little I wouldn’t be to concerned but either way I hope you get one you’ll be happy with :)
KSF has second to none customer service so they will take care of you :thumbsup:
Hopefully they have one they can swap it with. I won’t be surprised if they don’t since they sold out quickly, though. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Hopefully they have one they can swap it with. I won’t be surprised if they don’t since they sold out quickly, though. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
That’s a good point since they sold out they probably won’t have one to exchange so will probably just offer you a refund .

I sold a 72 because of the vertical play. Since then Ive went all out looking for the best lockback available....I have found a few with zero play. A parker for $20 on ebay had none. A $400 custom had none. A $900 custom had a little. Then I risked divorce and spent 25 times what I paid for that 72 and guess what? Vertical play....i thought...well darn...still a fine knife and very well made.. the 72 was well made and beautiful as well, wish I would have kept it. I finally figured out that if I'm looking for absolute machined perfection I may as well start buying cold, ugly hunks of titanium with weird looking blades again.

Interesting and valid points:thumbsup:

As I wrote earlier, my own experience of one 99 and two 83 GEC knives has been excellent. Years ago, I had a 72 one of their first LBs I think and this was a 'rocker' if you get my meaning, it did annoy me as I wanted more precision so I gave it away. Didn't get any complaints from the recipient :D

The Moki lockbacks I have are EXCEPTIONAL no gaps in the spring, lineup between tang and spring almost imperceptible-like a fixed- and no question of movement when you hold the blade. These are production knives and not unreasonably costly. But then, I have two very inexpensive Chinese made Schrade OT 3 knives, obviously not the same execution in F&F as the Moki but these too have no play at all, however hard you try;).

I don't know much about the design of LBs or how GEC assembles theirs but it may be a factor? At the end of the day it boils down to personal standards: some people don't mind insignificant play regarding it as 'cosmetic' others are annoyed by it and expect better. It should not have to do with the 'character' of Traditional lockbacks. I want a LB to feel solid yes but my own pet horror, raised or sunk spring on open/closed on a knife is un-negotiable :D:eek: FLUSH:cool:

I think you may be on to something. With companies that have the equipment to stamp/cut a blade with the perfect contour for the lock notch interconnect play can be all but eliminated because of consistent tolerances 1000 times once dialed in. But with custom makers or factories using basic or older equipment wherein each blade can be stamped very close, but then has to be tuned by hands - it is much more cost efficient to get each one "very close" rather than perfect.

I never said I was "complaining". I was just answering your question and adding to the data. Maybe it was a trap question?

I never said that you were complaining, and I very clearly wrote that it wasn't directed at you but the overall thought of seeking faults in knives.

I posted my initial question regarding how people are finding this play because I didn't want to just assume that people were sitting around jiggling their knives.

I never said that you were complaining, and I very clearly wrote that it wasn't directed at you
People are complaining of a "fault" only found when using the knife in a way that it was never intended.
Since I was the only person to directly respond to your message, I've got to assume that your reply was directed at me, and you used the word "complaining". But whatever... There is no better way to test the lockup on a knife and I don't mind the tiny bit of rock I have in the lockup of my #72, it's one of my all-time favorite knives.

Last edited:
I never said that you were complaining, and I very clearly wrote that it wasn't directed at you but the overall thought of seeking faults in knives.

I posted my initial question regarding how people are finding this play because I didn't want to just assume that people were sitting around jiggling their knives.

Excuse me sir, but sitting around jiggling my knives ranks #2 on the leaderboard for reasons why I enjoy this hobby. #1 is that look my wife gives me when I look out the window for the USPS guy. And if you are curious, #3 is when I get to use a knife to open up the plastic wrap on a small flat rate box from Mike containing a new knife.

Excuse me sir, but sitting around jiggling my knives ranks #2 on the leaderboard for reasons why I enjoy this hobby. #1 is that look my wife gives me when I look out the window for the USPS guy. And if you are curious, #3 is when I get to use a knife to open up the plastic wrap on a small flat rate box from Mike containing a new knife.

If I start randomly putting in gifts to you - could I move up the list?

I think you may be on to something. With companies that have the equipment to stamp/cut a blade with the perfect contour for the lock notch interconnect play can be all but eliminated because of consistent tolerances 1000 times once dialed in. But with custom makers or factories using basic or older equipment wherein each blade can be stamped very close, but then has to be tuned by hands - it is much more cost efficient to get each one "very close" rather than perfect.

That was my suspicion as well. A little bit of blade play seems analogous to blade centering--it really only matters if it becomes a functional problem (the blade not staying in place when cutting, the blade rubbing against the liner). I get that people want everything perfect, and for some of the prices people pay, close to perfection isn't unwarranted. However, I think it is easy to take our niceties too seriously and forget that we're buying a tool that works in specific applications--as long as they can do that well, then you've got basically what you paid for.

Back