GEC all steel knives--question for those who EDC

This is probably one of those questions only a certifiable knife nut would even care about or think about, but some of my most loved knives by GEC are of the all steel variety. The Charlows. The Boy's Knives. And my Eureka Jack. I carry these knives during the fall and winter, but summers make me wary. A little rust on the blade of a carbon knife can be easily remedied, but I worry about rust getting into the liners of these steel models. This is why, I believe, brass liners were used to begin with.
Now that these knives have been out there in the wild for a bit, anyone have any issues? I assume I'm just being paranoid.

Not had any problems here in England - where we get cold and wet the year round! :eek: :D :thumbup:

The Huckleberry Boy's knife, the Eureka Jack, and the Charlow just happen to be three of the knives I carry most.

No problems.

I never thought about the fact that that all three were steel framed.

I like them because of the usefulness and convenience of the patterns, but the steel frames give me no problems.

That #15 in the single blade clip point version is thin enough that I carry it on Sundays in dress slacks.

Three great knives.

Here in SE Tennessee we do experience that dreaded word Humidity in the summer, and we do experience 4 seasons here. I have no problems with my all STL Great Eastern knives or my other knives with carbon blades. Sure if they are neglected they will rust. With normal care you should be OK, IMO :)

Most of the really bad rust and corrosion of carbon steel knives occurs from improper and long time storage, stored in humid or damp environments, and away from a watchful eye.

It is unlikely that you will experience any major problems, as long as you keep an eye on them. A few little age spots here and there might add some character.

I think subspace's concern is with rust under the scales and in places where you can't "wipe and oil." It seems he is familiar with care of carbon blades.

Haven't had an issue with these, and I always wonder what it'd be like under the covers. However I typically use compressed air after a bath, followed by at least 24 hours air dry (if possible a few in sunlight). I assume it is adequate since they all seem rust-free.

I am just 30 miles west of Knoxville,Tn. and out in the Country and I have never had any problems with my Knives or Guns in any
of our 4 Seasons.! I do wipe them down good and they do go in one of my Safes but I have never even thought about
any rust or wood swelling at all.! You take care of them and they take care of you { even my Beckers do great.!** }

This is probably one of those questions only a certifiable knife nut would even care about or think about, but some of my most loved knives by GEC are of the all steel variety. The Charlows. The Boy's Knives. And my Eureka Jack. I carry these knives during the fall and winter, but summers make me wary. A little rust on the blade of a carbon knife can be easily remedied, but I worry about rust getting into the liners of these steel models. This is why, I believe, brass liners were used to begin with.
Now that these knives have been out there in the wild for a bit, anyone have any issues? I assume I'm just being paranoid.

I do not have a GEC knife, but if the steel is stainless, like Case/Bose you should have no problem. However, I live in a hot humid environment and use my knives in the kitchen. On my knives that are all carbon steel, the interior of the liners and backspring get a patina and some rust. Oil frequently and wipe em out with a paper towel to make sure the oil goes everywhere. This will help keep it in control, but keeping the interior of a knife with carbon steel liners and backspring rust free is not possible, unless you don't use the knife.

I believe brass liners were used for more reasons than just rust. Possibly lighter weight and easier to work than steel. Same with nickel silver. Brass can discolor and get oxidation as well.

Thanks to all who replied. I was wondering about rust under the scales and in the liners. I'm pretty good about oiling the joints once a week and wiping down the blades after every use, but the thought of the entire knife (sans scales) being able to rust had me a little cautious.

Thanks to all who replied. I was wondering about rust under the scales and in the liners. I'm pretty good about oiling the joints once a week and wiping down the blades after every use, but the thought of the entire knife (sans scales) being able to rust had me a little cautious.

You won't have any problems with major rust between the scales and liners SubSpace. It takes air to oxidize (rust) the steel and there is no air flow through there. I have taken apart 80 year old knives with steel liners and the little bit of surface rust dusts of with Scothbrite and there is no major pitting.

Clean and lightly oil what you can and use the knife. :)

You won't have any problems with major rust between the scales and liners SubSpace. It takes air to oxidize (rust) the steel and there is no air flow through there. I have taken apart 80 year old knives with steel liners and the little bit of surface rust dusts of with Scothbrite and there is no major pitting.

Clean and lightly oil what you can and use the knife. :)

Excellent advice! Thanks.

Hey farmer farmer
Put away that 440 * now
Give me spots on my liners
But leave me the birds and the bees
Please!
Joni Mitchell, "Big Yellow Taxi" circa 1971

Hey farmer farmer
Put away that 440 * now
Give me spots on my liners
But leave me the birds and the bees
Please!
Joni Mitchell, "Big Yellow Taxi" circa 1971

Love it Bob!!! :D:D:D

I like Counting Crow's rendition of it too! :)

Living in West Tennessee, I haven't given rust issues a second thought, even though humidity is high. Now, what I have given more than a second thought is wishing GEC would do more all steel versions.

I'd love to see an 81 all steel with antique peachseed jigged bone :D

YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO DO THIS GEC :D:D

Well, it's pretty hot and muggy here in Houston, hence the name Bayou City, I can say, my carry pistols, esp ones carry in my waist on a hot day get some atmospheric surface at times, but a knife like a gun needs some maintenance time to time if you use them

My dad hunts and shoots skeet with some awesome Parker shot guns he collected they especially need a good cleaning after being in the field

When I was in the army we cleaned our weapons all the time in the field

Point being unless you putting it in a display case, it's gonna get funky and you gotta take care of it

Besides the 1095 is true to the retro factor of the GEC knives and to me they look best after some wear and tear, little bit of patina

Think you want a more decorative knife, jewelry'ish..they sell some type of knife, Williams ? In jewelry stores...

Wait, darn, even Jewelry gets funky and needs cleaning too..I,got an Omego Seamaster watch needs cleaning once a year or so...

Don't worry man, use your knife and enjoy it all good

I haven't had issues. I carry my sheepfoot charlow a lot and I'm really sweaty and it hasn't had problems.

The only GEC ive ever had get a bit funky was my 15 Nifebrite Boys Knife. The liners accumulated some dark black rust spots after i carried it for a very hot day or two. A bit of oil and steel wool cleaned it right back up though. Im usually a bit more careful with maintenance.

Back