GEC all steel knives--question for those who EDC

I believe brass liners were used for more reasons than just rust. Possibly lighter weight and easier to work than steel. Same with nickel silver. Brass can discolor and get oxidation as well.

Probably worth mentioning that Brass is frequently used when low friction is needed(watches, locks, hinges, etc...) as its pretty slippery. Can't think of a better choice of material for a knife liner than that.

I used to use an old electrician's knife that was all steel when I worked on the river and never had an issue with rust in the pivot. I'd think that opening and closing the blade would rub off any rust that might be forming before it really can if that makes sense.

You won't have any problems with major rust between the scales and liners SubSpace. It takes air to oxidize (rust) the steel and there is no air flow through there. I have taken apart 80 year old knives with steel liners and the little bit of surface rust dusts of with Scothbrite and there is no major pitting.

Clean and lightly oil what you can and use the knife. :)

I don't take apart old knifes, but certainly buy and clean them up. I have seen plenty of rust in all steel knives. Not surface, but real rust with associated pits. I recently bought a classic "boys knife" and once I cleaned up the rust, the blade was lazy...it was the rust holding it tight :)

I have had deep pitting on 1095 due to failure to fully clean off some pickle juice.

For me, if you want your all steel knives pretty (not stainless) forgetaboutit. If you clean and oil at the end of the day, you shouldn't get much more than patina and the occasional freckle...but doing it only once a week? Beware.

Probably worth mentioning that Brass is frequently used when low friction is needed(watches, locks, hinges, etc...) as its pretty slippery. Can't think of a better choice of material for a knife liner than that.

I used to use an old electrician's knife that was all steel when I worked on the river and never had an issue with rust in the pivot. I'd think that opening and closing the blade would rub off any rust that might be forming before it really can if that makes sense.

With your old electricians knife, you're probably right. It's the knife knut who uses it once a week and puts it away with a little unseen crap that does its dirty rusting in the drawer :) Using it every day keeps it going fine. Maybe once a week oiling is good enough as long as it's a user.

Your right as well with brass. Brass is slipperier than steel and a steel liner and blade can rust together, but not so much a steel blade and brass liner.

Perspiration in the pocket has a bit of salt in it and makes for some interesting colors and stains over time. I just let it age naturally. I don't fret over it, I just wipe the blade down after any task where it gets messy or wet. I oil the joint every other month perhaps. I rarely oil the blade itself, usually only when I sharpen it is when it gets a good wipe-down with mineral oil.

The backspring on my EDC is nearly black now. The blade is taking on a deep dark grey color.
E62FE1B1-48D7-4353-8D69-16841109B187_zpslgqhgroj.jpg

I sure love mine. I have TC Barlows, a sunfish, and 25 barlow.

You can get a bit of rust/spotting inside the blade channel.

No biggie.

They are still my favorite. The construction is a more solid way to make the knife. The brass liners can patina, so can the mild low carbon steel.

This has been in my pocket through all kinds of sweat, and rain, and wet for a few years now. Camping in the snow with no tent, ice skating with a ton of sweat in cold temps causing it to be very wet. You can get occasionally get a rust spot here or there. Just rub it on your jeans, and keep cutting.

As I like to say, rub some dirt on it!

Knives made just like this for longer than our great great grandfathers even knew.

Last edited:
Back