GEC blade play question

Hello all. I am pretty new to the forums so go easy on me for this question. I just purchased my first GEC knife, a #66 Calf Roper and the main blade has an ever so slight side to side blade play. Is that to be expected?

I have quite a few GECs and can't remember ever having play in any of them.

This includes two 66s from the latest run (ebony and tortoise), that I just checked specifically to answer here. No play at all, and I wiggle from the base, not the tip. :)

Sometimes. It's not uncommon with any slipjoint knife brand. You can just accept it, send it back to GEC for a tune-up, or if you're adventurous, try to fix it yourself by applying pressure to the bolsters (vice, whacking it with a mallet, etc). This might cause the pivot pin to protrude every-so-slightly from the bolster, which you can sand/polish if that bothers you too.

Thanks for the feedback. I just rechecked and there is NO blade play if I grab the base of the blade only a tiny bit when I try it from the tip. Thoughts

If it is a new knife you can send it to them for a tune up. Or, you can put some cloth on a vice and gently (a little goes a long way) put a small amount of pressure on the pivot and that should take care of it. Or, you can put a folded cloth over the bolsters and take a ball peen hammer and gently tap the pivot. In either of these two cases, do not do too much or you will have a knife that will not open or will not open smoothly. Just a little bit, and then check the blade. Personally, unless you are adventurous, if the blade play bothered me I would send it to GEC.

I is going to be a user so it is probably not that big of a deal. I appreciate the input and knowing I can always send it back for a tune up. Man these are really nice knives. I have been collecting the more modern knives i.e Spyderco, Chris Reeves etc but these are absolutely beautiful. Thanks again for the answers.

Leave it as is and enjoy...

I noticed you posted while I was typing ...your right on it can always be taken care of

Back