• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

GEC Dealer Disclosure Thread- Introduction & Solicitation for Feedback

If you mean by "secret handshake", you mean "Be on their email list", then yes.
SUleDk4.jpg

Well, it's always nice for folks who have "bro-deals" in place with dealers to come rub it in our faces! Thanks!
Oh, I kid. Mostly to poke at the secret handshake crowd. My most success lately has been with CK's reserves.

Oh, I kid. Mostly to poke at the secret handshake crowd. My most success lately has been with CK's reserves.

That's fair. That said, I DO think there are several folks on the Porch who do have those sorts of dealer "friend" deals, given how often you see the same people end up with one of every cover of each successive run.

Edited to keep this party polite.

Last edited:
That's fair. That said, I DO think there are several folks on the Porch who do have those sorts of dealer "friend" deals, given how often you see the same people end up with one of every cover of each successive run.

Edited to keep this party polite.
Yes, a head scratcher.;)
Well, getting my one or two I'm certainly happy to get what I get. A thread such as this will allow people to do a personal cost benefit analysis. I know for my self I don't see the benefit at these higher price points.

Yes, a head scratcher.;)
Well, getting my one or two I'm certainly happy to get what I get. A thread such as this will allow people to do a personal cost benefit analysis. I know for my self I don't see the benefit at these higher price points.

Same here, and I'm comfortable with the understanding if it's something I really want, then whelp, the cost is what it costs. I've certainly overpaid for things before. But hey, I won't derail this thread further, it could actually be good information for folks to do an assessment of their own. More information is (usually!) a good thing. Have a good evening, man.

Thanks for putting this together. It’s nice to see who is charging what.

Don't forget you/we have been buying knives at the lowest dealers are allowed to sell for for a long time. MSRP has always been up in these ranges.

There's one GEC dealer that sells at 2 to 3 times what all the other dealers sell at, and they have for over 6 years. I don't have a point, just wanted to mention that this other dealer has been selling out at these prices. I applaud what you are trying to do with this thread. I wouldn't expect it to change GEC purchases one bit, but for me it will change purchasing of non GEC products.

Last edited:
Or is it the exact opposite of deal spotting?
More like: "Who is charging the most above MAP?" spotting.
If non-supporting dealers prices are being posted, I would think that is - in effect - advertising for them...and isn't that the rationale behind the prohibition on deal spotting.

JTB_5 JTB_5 Doesn't this amount to deal spotting?

To be frank, I hardly think that is applicable here considering that these releases sell out in mere minutes - regardless of price. Rather, I view it as an exercise in transparency - a watchdog effort, if you will.

Or is it the exact opposite of deal spotting?
More like: "Who is charging the most above MAP?" spotting.

If non-supporting dealers prices are being posted, I would think that is - in effect - advertising for them...and isn't that the rationale behind the prohibition on deal spotting.

Just to clarify my own position; I'm trying to provide exactly what @Pàdruig and r8shell r8shell are identifying--a transparency tool. Not everyone has been collecting GECs for years and years, and even those who have been have expressed confusion and frustration about the pricing for recent runs. Rather than having to pass the information around in a merry-go-round every time someone asks, the pricing thread can be something people can easily reference as they consider future purchases. For a lot of folks, it probably won't matter a lot because they'll be looking to score a knife wherever they can. But for folks who budget their knife spending, it can be helpful to know that I can buy two GECs from one dealer (if I get lucky) for my money where I might only get one from another dealer for the same amount. I also see it as a way to honor the dealers who have kept their prices down for the sake of their customers. Buyers should know which dealers are going to put their existing or potential long-term business relationship as a priority over easy profits in an inflated market.

Now, I agree that a pricing thread could be construed as deal spotting if the prices were being posted while the knives were still on the shelves and folks had a chance to run over and get one, but for the vast majority of recent runs, that hasn't been the case with GECs. It can't really function as a deal spotting endeavor when the knives being spotted are already sold. Also, I initially shut down the thread when Wharn Wharn pointed out that it was breaking the rules, but Boru13 Boru13 indicated it would be acceptable for this GB&U forum as long as we kept links out of it when r8shell r8shell asked him about it.

However, I want to be cautious about protecting the integrity of BladeForums and their rules since they're the ones providing us with the forum in the first place. If the information becomes a problem from their perspective, we can shut it down.

JTB_5 JTB_5
Perhaps I misunderstood. I did grasp the concept as it would apply to runs already sold (though I don't necessarily agree that this would eliminate the deal spotting aspect); but I thought the other thread was for an upcoming run. Either way, it's a call the mods will make if it's a problem; and it doesn't concern me beyond my initial question.
I haven't received a dealer email notification of a GEC release in a few years; and I have no interest in what they seem to have become. Besides, I've been telling myself that I have enough knives for so long that I'm actually starting to believe it:eek:

JTB_5 JTB_5
Perhaps I misunderstood. I did grasp the concept as it would apply to runs already sold (though I don't necessarily agree that this would eliminate the deal spotting aspect); but I thought the other thread was for an upcoming run. Either way, it's a call the mods will make if it's a problem; and it doesn't concern me beyond my initial question.
I haven't received a dealer email notification of a GEC release in a few years; and I have no interest in what they seem to have become. Besides, I've been telling myself that I have enough knives for so long that I'm actually starting to believe it:eek:
As far as I can tell many of the dealers don’t release pricing until they’ve received orders or posted a lottery. There is a small chance of trying to squeeze in, but that would also be contingent on me posting and a person finding the thread within a small window. But that’s not my purpose and I don’t think it would be a very effective method of deal seeking anyway. It would be deal spotting for future runs insofar as it allows folks to see how dealers tend to price the knives, but that seems to me like a reasonable use of the feedback forum, since it is reporting on past activity with a look to future exchanges.

But, as I said, I’m happy to comply with the moderators’ call on either side. I’m thankful that Boru13 has allowed it as it serves as a helpful tool for new buyers and folks who don’t have the time or energy to keep up with all the dealer pricing on their own.

As the rules are written you would be correct.

Considering the purpose of this thread however, I’m inclined to give some leeway regarding the rules.

That being said, I’ve been discussing this situation with a couple of other mods who’s opinion I value. If they decide that I’ve erred in my judgment and feel the thread should be closed, then I’ll close the thread... for now feel free to continue.

Knives Ship Free $102.05...#85 Crown Lifter - Tidioute - Natural Canvas Micarta...super reasonable based on other dealers...

Last edited:
Thanks to JTB_5 for putting this together. I am new to GEC collecting. For new guys doing research, through the dealer sites, to understand what is a good price can be difficult as they are rarely in stock. That leaves youtube or the secondary market's super inflation as a guide. Finding out, through getting on the email lists, what they go for retail was eye opening.

Thanks to JTB_5 for putting this together. I am new to GEC collecting. For new guys doing research, through the dealer sites, to understand what is a good price can be difficult as they are rarely in stock. That leaves youtube or the secondary market's super inflation as a guide. Finding out, through getting on the email lists, what they go for retail was eye opening.

Yea... It was great finding out that the dealer I've been getting my TCs from for a couple years had been charging me about 30% - 40% more than what DLT, CK, KSF and other honest dealers had been selling them for. It can be really hard to find pricing once they've sold out, which is unfortunate with the current situation.

Back