GEC F&F from a Noob Perspective

T. Bose designed Case knives are the best in their lineup, but even they are not as consistently close to custom quality as GECs. I love the sound a quality slipjoint makes opening and closing, they sing like a tuning fork snapping into different positions. In this regard, GEC produces much better sounding knives than Case. Have sent knives back to both, but normally GEC wins fit and finish hands down. Result … popular models sell out immediately and bring a premium on the secondary market. The way to keep prices up is produce demand minus one, and it's working. This encourages collectors to get in and stay in the market.

GEC's 440C holds an edge as well, or better, than their 1095 in my experience, I'm a fan. Someday GEC will probably produce mostly stainless, 1095 will be their "throwback" series. Carried and used this knife for months and it still looks new. After some pleading I made the mistake of selling this one to traumkommode traumkommode … only because I have a lifetime supply of SS15s.

GECorangebone15.jpg

GEC at one point had the best stag of any that I have seen and all the knives I had owned had excellent fit and finish but that was years ago and I have not handled the new releases

I am with Chief about stainless and would really like to see more offerings from them with stainless

I think that they make a great line of traditional folders and I am surprised at what the secondary is asking AND getting for them, it is astounding to me as they are into the custom price range

G2

As much as I like Case even their best work isn't on par with a standard knife from GEC.

At best a Case knife will meet the usual requirements of what constitutes excellent fit and finish with one major exception in my opinion; that highly buffed finish. I've never come across a single modern production Case knife that didn't have the tips rounded off or the swedges buffed into nonexistence. I suppose its a matter of taste, but I prefer the crisp lines and finish of a GEC. If Case would skip this final step I wonder how nice the end result would be?

That said I don't necessarily buy GEC because of the better f&f, as I think Case is good enough to justify the lower cost. I buy GEC because they release patterns that cannot be found elsewhere, and sometimes haven't been made in ages.

Case can and has made knives just as good as GEC.
The two knives pictured below are on par with each other in build quality and aesthetics.
That makes the Case a better value at half the cost, but I would also say this is the exception and not the norm.

If you like multi blade knives, and based on your first two choices, it looks like you do. May I suggest the 82 Dixie Stockman, it carries smaller than its size. I have zero blade rub, the whole knife is well done. It has a unique yet very useful blade combination and is still available at dealers.
eBrKBgb.jpg

GEC's 440C holds an edge as well, or better, than their 1095 in my experience, I'm a fan. Someday GEC will probably produce mostly stainless, 1095 will be their "throwback" series. Carried and used this knife for months and it still looks new. After some pleading I made the mistake of selling this one to traumkommode traumkommode … only because I have a lifetime supply of SS15s.

GECorangebone15.jpg

Pshhh...John, you've sold more of those stainless 15s than just that ole' one, and you STILL have enough to probably last two average user's lifetimes.

I agree about GEC's 440C. They do an exceptional job with the heat treat. I have gotten really good performance from it, considerably longer-cutting than the 1095. I go back and forth, because the patina is fun. But the action *overall* tends to be a little another on the stainless blades. Not to say there isn't exceptional and equal action on the 1095 knives... But that run of 15s was during one of the pinnacles of production quality.

I think if your content enough with the two examples you describe that your planning on buying more GEC's in the future. There's a good chance your going to be pleasantly pleased with whatever you pick up next. I have heard a few rumblings about soft blades hear and there mostly about a few models made last year. As for the gaps you can actually see light through that's a first for me. I'm sure it's come up before but I'd guess not to often at least not in the threads I frequent. PS I didn't think your original statement sounded like you were stirring the pot at all. Welcome to Traditionals (AKA The Porch :cool:) Goodluck not gettin hooked. :thumbsup::D

Back