GEC new #43 pattern, who’s excited?

Hope yours doesn't take the same tour mine did with frequent backtracking and a general transversing of the Great Lakes states. And thanks for the info on the pins, folks.
Mines about 20 miles away but that could happen. Pretty sure that the postal service doesn't like me or something. Lol.. they don't seem to care how it affects me when they don't do exactly what I want them to. That's been awhile ago, hope you finally got it.

This is my favorite new GEC pattern.

Great size, thin, and good blade shape. The action on mine improved a lot after hot water and wd40 flush and few opens and closers. The action on mine is springy, but not super snappy like the 78 single blade which was my first GEC.

I would like to see a run of “Western Oregon 43 Trappers” with a stainless steel blade and lignum vitae or ironwood handles and maybe a king salmon shield.

I know some will say, no the king salmon shield should be on the Alaska series of GEC oversized slip joints and fixed blades I am designing in my diary. But the grizzly bear shield will be on the Alaska series so not to worry.

Last edited:
Although my post made no reference to not staying closed, that would be a problem. Not one I have ever seen on a GEC knife.

An old stock trading criteria. Means if you can't meet the criteria in full, cancel the order with no communication required.

Not closing fully on its own is something I consider a major defect and also dangerous. A slipjoint is supposed to close from spring pressure, that's how they work by my definition. I once read a post on a forum where people said they liked to have to push their blades all the way closed, and that is just nonsense to me. Why not get a friction folder at that point.

Makes sense good to know.

Myrtlewood would be nice..I wonder why the cocobolo is selling at a lower price than some of the tidioute models? I'm pretty new to this brand but thought the Northfield knives were upper crust

Quick question about the #43 Beaver Tail, does it come with a collector's pin? Mine arrived today with no pin. I just throw them in the tube anyway but if there's supposed to be one I would like to have it since it'll hurt the trade value without. Online descriptions don't seem to mention one but some photos show one alongside the knife.

As for the knife itself fit is spot on with perfect centering and just the level of walk and talk I like on a folder this size. Finish is a bit spotty with uneven staining of the wood and some rough edges. Once I'm sure it's a keeper I'll sand it a bit and oil the wood. No big deal but really shouldn't be required for an over 80 dollar knife.
Both my Beavertails did but not my frontier or rust red . I’m guessing the beaver do but not the others . I like them and think they make a nice collectors piece even if I just throw them in tube .
If anything if you ever sell your knife some collectors want them .

I must say my Rusty red has really come around . It now snaps from open to half stop with a push .
Love these 43’s :thumbsup:
msuGxqA.jpg

Last edited:
This is my favorite new GEC pattern

I would like to see a run of “Western Oregon 43 Trappers” with a stainless steel blade and lignum vitae or ironwood handles and maybe a king salmon shield..

I like your shield idea.

The 42 was my gateway knife. The second GEC I ever owned. I spent a long time looking around and eventually settled on stainless. Lol. Those were the days. I had to buy another when one came up for sale because if I had to choose 'just one knife'...

I think this one might be it.

t0WQiw6.jpg

I am up for buying a 43 but am agonising over handle choice. In the future I would like to see ironwood done thin and flat like the chestnut on this 42.

Last edited:
I like your shield idea.

The 42 was my gateway knife. The second GEC I ever owned. I spent a long time looking around and eventually settled on stainless. Lol. Those were the days. I had to buy another when one came up for sale because if I had to choose 'just one knife'...

I also had the choice between carbon steel and stainless when I bought my 42 lockback. I foolishly bought the carbon steel, not knowing how rare stainless GECs would become in the future. But the 42 lockback is an amazing knife, no matter what the steel. So buttery smooth to open and close, with no worries about the pull strength being too light or too heavy.

I also had the choice between carbon steel and stainless when I bought my 42 lockback. I foolishly bought the carbon steel, not knowing how rare stainless GECs would become in the future. But the 42 lockback is an amazing knife, no matter what the steel. So buttery smooth to open and close, with no worries about the pull strength being too light or too heavy.
Had a Gec lock back think it was a 72 can’t remember . Really liked it except they were known to have Blade play up and down . Drove me nuts so I got rid of it . Nice knife except for that .

Back