GEC Q & A! keep it clean, NO discussion! for beginners, advanced and experts

JoKr

Gold Member
this is a thread around the topic of Great Eastern Cutlery Knives.
hold briefly/ be brief in question and answer.
NO BIG discussions please be brief!
(yes, even if that seems almost impossible at times)!
eg:
Q: when did GEC start their business?
A: in 2006

this is a thread around the topic of Great Eastern Cutlery Knives.
hold briefly/ be brief in question and answer.
NO BIG discussions please be brief!
(yes, even if that seems almost impossible at times)!
eg:
Q: when did GEC start their business?
A: in 2006
2006 was their first produced knife, is that when the business was started? Or had Bill been working at it for a couple few years? Maybe gathering equipment for a decade? I'm curious not being a smart ###.

Always been curious if they have a rotation for their patterns, or is it more just what they feel like making at the time?

Rumor has it that its whatever Bill feels like making. Ive asked Randy this before as well as many others.

I sure miss, Chris!! But Joan Mae is great!!! (previous and current office managers)

Re: Bill, at Great Eastern Cutlery; He worked at Queen Cutlery From 1975 to 2006, except for brief breaks/disputes. He opened the doors to GEC in 2006!!

From his first year, before he revised his pattern number system!!2006 1.jpg2006 4.jpg2006 5.jpg

Rumor has it that its whatever Bill feels like making. Ive asked Randy this before as well as many others.
that's what i figured! Thanks for the info! That's gotta be pretty fun, making whatever one interests you at the moment, that's how i'd do it!

I sure miss, Chris!! But Joan Mae is great!!! (previous and current office managers)

Re: Bill, at Great Eastern Cutlery; He worked at Queen Cutlery From 1975 to 2006, except for brief breaks/disputes. He opened the doors to GEC in 2006!!

From his first year, before he revised his pattern number system!!View attachment 1646073View attachment 1646077View attachment 1646080
Thank you for the definitive answer.

Now, is that a 73 or 23 and is that herringbone jigging or horsecut? Great piece of GEC history right there.

Thought of another one that's been on my mind. I've been hearing about the Texas Camp knife recently and how it's quite rare. I've been interested in hunting down a Texas Cattle knife and got to wondering, are those equally as rare, or is there at least a marginally better chance of finding one?

Thought of another one that's been on my mind. I've been hearing about the Texas Camp knife recently and how it's quite rare. I've been interested in hunting down a Texas Cattle knife and got to wondering, are those equally as rare, or is there at least a marginally better chance of finding one?

they do pop up occasionally especially in the facebook groups. Most recently, ive seen some one put up a Texas Cattle Knife for trade towards a 2019 Bladeforums knife. That brain child is one of waynorth waynorth 's very sought after knives.

they do pop up occasionally especially in the facebook groups. Most recently, ive seen some one put up a Texas Cattle Knife for trade towards a 2019 Bladeforums knife. That brain child is one of waynorth waynorth 's very sought after knives.
well dang if it's up there with the 2019 BF86 then it'll be a tough one to find, seems like everyone and their mother wants one of those! haha

Thanks for the info!

If I recall correctly, Charlie himself was looking to track down his own sfo cattle knife?

Now, is that a 73 or 23 and is that herringbone jigging or horsecut?
Herringbone walnut #73 (99% sure). Horsecut is more random, like these two:
bd6zVrv.jpg

Here is another from 2006, another #73 in Sheffield tobacco bone.
va4miok.jpg

Back