GEC Q & A! keep it clean, NO discussion! for beginners, advanced and experts

How dies GEC finish their wood? Tung oil? Hand buffed? Stains?
No, no, no, and no. I think they finish all the knives in the same way. Sand polish buff and clean in machine oil.
Are Rendezvous meetings open to everyone? Would love to visit then.
It’s an open house, factory tours, factory store with limitations on what and how much can be bought so everyone gets a chance at something then a picnic on the last day. Anyone is welcome to attend.

I got a question for the folks that have been to the rondevous and talked with Bill or his son, what type of pocket knife were they carrying? I'm guessing it was a GEC. If so, do you know pattern and any other details like cover etc.

I got a question for the folks that have been to the rondevous and talked with Bill or his son, what type of pocket knife were they carrying? I'm guessing it was a GEC. If so, do you know pattern and any other details like cover etc.

I believe Bill has a tray of gec knives that he just picks from, William did not have anything. Of course this is one of the years I asked. And likely my first year, I believe Bill took out a #18 beagle and I was just surprised because he uses it as a focus pointer for the tour. Figured it be more of a crowd favorite for emphasis. They take turns leading the tours around the factory.

The GEC Rendezvous is good times. I toured the GEC plant a few times now. When I was there in in 2013, Bill's son had a 57 Gepetto Whittler that he pulled out to use while running the duplicate jigging machine. It was black covered if I remeber correctly. Ebony or horn or maybe a well carried brown wood. That's my recollection anyhow.

Attachments

• NBZGQkH.jpg
    NBZGQkH.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 34
  • MMQJs6L.jpg
    MMQJs6L.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 9D599741-7D86-4112-ABB1-213D0947F8C7 (1).jpeg
    9D599741-7D86-4112-ABB1-213D0947F8C7 (1).jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 34
The GEC Rendezvous is good times. I toured the GEC plant a few times now. When I was there in in 2013, Bill's son had a 57 Gepetto Whittler that he pulled out to use while running the duplicate jigging machine. It was black covered if I remeber correctly. Ebony or horn or maybe a well carried brown wood. That's my recollection anyhow.
I guess those 2 Old Codgers won't be there anymore , but I sure hope you and your young men make it for as long as you can . Those were Good Times my friend .

Harry

When Duncan and I took the tour with Bill he had to run back to the office and grab a 22 Magnum as a reference tool, he told us he doesn't carry a knife as he can't stand anything in his pockets. Hand to God :thumbsup:

Which is the best GEC pattern?
The #53 Cuban Stockman, of course!

1yYyPWJ.jpg

Ho5Qfee.jpg

UhnIJ0H.jpg

Are Rendezvous meetings open to everyone? Would love to visit then.
Also, for those who haven't been there before, if you want to buy a knife it's best to show up at about midnight the night before and stand in line all night long waiting for the doors to open. My first year I came at 6am, and couldn't believe it.

the general age dynamic of the attendees has shifted since my first rendezvous, its now literally an all night bash. hotter than a sneaker line up or ticket concert camping. Ive seen the footage. Folks did ask where was I, I was trying to get some sleep at Cross Creek :rolleyes:😂

Back