GEC Stainless?

still better than that tortoise shell! Ill have to say, at least three of the chestnut bones have passed by my hands and at least 2 or more of the orange bones have passed by from the bay/various knife groups. I definitely won't mind having some 15 clips in different steels. Cant wait for my user 15 to be returned from rescaling. :D

Andrew, Couple of those look familiar. :)
wishful speculation ... GEC will upgrade from 440C to a better stainless, ATS34 maybe, they do have experience with that steel.

I could probably only have those two 15s for the rest of my life and be satisfied.

When did GEC run ATS-34? I would love it if they ran more, that stuff rocks!

still better than that tortoise shell! Ill have to say, at least three of the chestnut bones have passed by my hands and at least 2 or more of the orange bones have passed by from the bay/various knife groups. I definitely won't mind having some 15 clips in different steels. Cant wait for my user 15 to be returned from rescaling. :D

I can't wait to see what you're having done!

Reworked the blade. Yesterday, turns out I made a sheepfoot. Today, I think I have a lambfoot. Measures 7/16" at the ricasso and 3/8" (6/16") at the hoof.

39292390795_632ca03132_b.jpg

40190694371_bfeaf45cb8_b.jpg

Awesome, would love to see that closed!

Andrew, Couple of those look familiar. :)

Dave,

GEC hasn't made any SS knives since 2016, my wishful speculation ... GEC will upgrade from 440C to a better stainless, ATS34 maybe, they do have experience with that steel.

What pattern of traditional do you like now? I prefer around 3.5" single clip blade, pinchable with nice snap. Just so happens GEC 15 pattern is well designed / made and fits my needs. For a using knife, I like a little texture on the handle for grip. GEC 15 SS in burnt orange bone is almost perfect, if it had a pleasing two-tone contrast bone, it would be perfect. Elk 15s are nice too, but the orange bone has a better texture. They come up in the for sale forum or on the auction site from time to time. Viper is nice as it the conductor, if they fit your needs.

GECorangebone15.jpg

GECSS15s-1.jpg

All awesome, I had one of the tortoise, but that elephant bark ivory and elk stag are just another level.

What is your guys opinion on the edge holding ability of the SS vs 1095. Can the SS be stropped sharp easily like the 1095?

Thanks,

Geoff

What is your guys opinion on the edge holding ability of the SS vs 1095. Can the SS be stropped sharp easily like the 1095?

Thanks,

Geoff

I’ve found GEC’s 440C stainless to have excellent edge holding. Better than their 1095 when it comes to wear resistance. But that trait has a downside in that it takes a very abrasive material to sharpen it, which eliminates most strops, unless you use a particularly abrasive compound with it.

The best (and worst) thing about the porch is how many knives you discover that you might not otherwise. If you can’t enjoy the collections of others it could run your capital into the ground trying to keep up!
But sometimes I would just like to wrap my hand around some of them !!!!!

Harry

I've been wanting to add to this thread for awhile. Pulled out a few to represent the genre.

View attachment 861041

There she is. The no-bail White Owl. Be still, beating heart...

I’ve found GEC’s 440C stainless to have excellent edge holding. Better than their 1095 when it comes to wear resistance. But that trait has a downside in that it takes a very abrasive material to sharpen it, which eliminates most strops, unless you use a particularly abrasive compound with it.

It takes more time to sharpen, yes. I always reprofile with a diamond stone. Once the new bevel is set, getting a bur takes just a little longer than 1095. I wouldn't take a factory GEC stainless edge to a strop and expect it to make much of a difference though.

Just wanted to mention that @Ramrodmb made at least one if not several of the Navy knives into beautiful Wharncliffes. Really beautiful work, and changed the aesthetics of the knife no end. Well done Mark!
Thanks, Neal

I just realized that I have never contributed to this thread. So here we go with a few GEC models that I own and have photos of. :)

53 Stockman in Smooth Ugly Elk. It is actually a 2nd, but it as tight and solid as any knife I own!
28310403119_4bdfa3088f_b.jpg

47 Viper in Maroon Linen Micarta. I also have this in a serialized example, but no photo.
26023044561_8eb523db7c_b.jpg

74 Mustang in Old Chestnut.
27852901228_788a8c25dc_b.jpg

Back