Recommendation? General purpose fixed blade

Would greatly appreciate advice on a general purpose back up knife while hunting.
Carry a loveless style drop point knife for field dressing, food prep etc.
Want to add something to the kit that is a bit heavier, that I can use in an emergency to build a fire, build a light shelter etc and more generally around camp.
4.5 to 5 inch blade, probably micarta scales, 3V steel or similar, budget is around $250.
Thank you

Would greatly appreciate advice on a general purpose back up knife while hunting.
Carry a loveless style drop point knife for field dressing, food prep etc.
Want to add something to the kit that is a bit heavier, that I can use in an emergency to build a fire, build a light shelter etc and more generally around camp.
4.5 to 5 inch blade, probably micarta scales, 3V steel or similar, budget is around $250.
Thank you

Could check out the Cold Steel SRK in 3V. Way below budget, but has a Kraton handle and 6" blade. They also have a shorter 5" version (SRK-C), but it is SK-5.

For the tasks mentioned, especially since you're carrying another knife, I like the Esee 6 (also well under budget)
If you want to stick closer to your stated range, and burn the entire budget, maybe you'll be lucky enough to find somebody willing to part with an REK Quarantine. Having said that, I'll be putting mine back on my belt tomorrow.

How about a BK16? I carried this one around horizontally on my belt today, and it didn't get in the way of me working at all. 1095 Crovan, gets stupid sharp, and easy to get it that way.
pRGAdQI.jpg

RwAulit.jpg

Have a look at the Case/Winkler II Skinner. Has a 5 inch 80CrV2 blade, and guaranteed to perform as well as an actual Winkler II blade. It's a little over your budget, but not much.

Last edited:
@JK Knives (BF Hosted Knife Maker) makes great, handmade knives to your specification. He has done some stainless in the past but primarily is known for his excellent heat treat on 01 tool steel.

He makes a very nice Kephart and they are a popular item in his sales. His prices are very reasonable for hand-made one at a time knives.

This is the first Kephart I purchased from John -
DSC_8784.JPG

The following shows an assortment of designs from the (@jds1 design) River Woods Companion (smallest) to the Gambler's Bowie. In between are (top to bottom) the Kephart the Survival / Camp knife and the Pitdog design Knatchet.
DSC_5196.JPG

Good luck with your search - you have a lot of great choices!

best

mqqn

The ONLY reason I didn't mention White River was because the OP said he wants 3V or some similarly tough non-stainless. My EDC is a White River Sendero Classic. These guys do S35VN right. But it's also a .130" thick blade, and while capable of most normal woodcraft tasks, I feel it's a little thin for most people. Also, proper cutting technique goes out the window when time, weather, or some other necessity are factors in the equation. In my opinion, the tasks outlined by the OP would be best served with a .185-.2" thick blade. Just a bit of insurance. The Ursus 45 or Firecraft knives would be just about right.

For 3V, the answer is Carothers...but, if one was to hit the exchange within budget, one would have to be you right there to grab it before somebody else did.
Bradford does 3V well - I think I read that Nathan shared his heat treat with him; but I've been unable to find that again, so I could be mistaken.
I've got no complaints with my Bark Rivers in 3V; but I'd expect better performance from Carothers and Bradford.
The REK I mentioned in my previous post is Cruwear.

The knives I've mentioned: Esee 6, BRKT Bravo 1.25-LT, Carothers FK2, Bradford Guardian 4, REK Quarantine
View attachment 1460135

Last edited:

For an emergency and/or survival situation in a forest wilderness (which could happen at any time), and I am packing everything in myself, I carry a high quality knife with around a 10" blade and finger choil. This may not do everything as well as more specialized tools, but it can do everything, from chopping wood to more delicate camp chores, and keeps the carry weight and bulk to a minimum.

Back