General Update #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian.Evans

Registered Member
[UPDATE 11/17/2017 2145] I am locking this thread and starting a new one.

[UPDATE 10/31/2017 2327]
Kevin took the knives to Reed today to get the sheaths done. I don't know how long it will take, but I hope to talk to him tomorrow. I should know more by the weekend, but it looks like everything is wrapping up nicely. I am so ready for it to be over and all of you have your knives. This has been a horrible time.

[UPDATE 10/16/2017 1242]
Per Kevin this morning, they are halfway done sharpening the knives and almost done with fasteners. Will be working on handles and liners in the morning. I have a picture but am updating on my phone, will have to post it tonight.

IMG-2908.JPG

[UPDATE 9/9/2017 2223]
The knives left for heat treat yesterday. We are in for a 2-6 week wait. Kevin said he received some 3V blades back last week and they were gone for 4 weeks. So, who knows. Here is a shot that should hold us over a bit. This is after a final pre heat treat tumble. Beautiful!

IMG-1024.JPG.jpeg

[UPDATE 8/26/2017 1044]
Now, look at this! Kevin says the run should be headed to heat treating next week. I hate to jinx it, but this sure seems like how it should have worked all along. I'm hoping that it continues to go this way. I'm impressed with how they look so far!

companion 826.jpg

[UPDATE 8/12/2017 0952]
OK, here's the picture. You can see how they are slimming down and are starting to look like the Companion we all know and love. An updated timeline looks like about another week on this operation as the small cutters used to shape the inside and outside of the handles are taking a bit longer than previously anticipated. Then the knives will be tumbled and the tabs milled off. We're about two weeks to heat treat. Heat treating will take anywhere from 3-6 weeks depending on how the heat treater's schedule runs.

compmilled.jpg

[UPDATE 8/11/2017 1457]
I have a new picture of these I just received from Kevin and I think you guys are going to love it. I'm at work right now, but I'll get it put up this evening. I'm going to answer the questions asked in this thread as well when I'm on a computer rather than a phone.

[UPDATE 7/27/2017 1015]
Got woke up by this picture this morning. Bevels are done being milled and moving to outside shaping. Outside shaping will bring the point to, well, a point. Can't mill the bevels with the shape already pointy or the point won't be sharp. The train really has left the depot! Kevin, if you're reading this, thank you for the pictures. Everyone really appreciates them.
IMG_1944.jpg

[UPDATE 7/25/2017 1801]
I have a very good update for everyone. The train has left the depot, gentlemen! This is the first American made Companion off the mills. Obviously the milling isn't finished, but the bevels are there. The rest are being milled right now. Progress!IMG_0983..jpg

Last edited:
ron-paul-its-happening-animated.gif

I'm sure Brian is happier then all of us, it's been a long road for him to travel, here's to completion!

A small question B Brian.Evans ; from the pictures it seems that there's a lot more beefyness in the knives and things like the protrusion with the two holes in the middle(which I'm guessing is a fixture for milling?) Am I correct with my guess that these will be gotten rid of in the process of manufacturing? Or will the new run actually be more beefy?

A small question B Brian.Evans ; from the pictures it seems that there's a lot more beefyness in the knives and things like the protrusion with the two holes in the middle(which I'm guessing is a fixture for milling?) Am I correct with my guess that these will be gotten rid of in the process of manufacturing? Or will the new run actually be more beefy?
They might be a little beefier, but not much. A lot of what we see in these pictures is because they start larger and then are milled to exact dimensions. The rounding over of the edges will take a lot off. The tab in the middle is a fixture for milling. We will see how it ends up. I'm not sure if it will be taken off or not. I'm going to assume it will, but let's watch and find out.

This is very nice to see!
Any idea how the grind thickness will compare to the first run? By that I mean specifically the thickness behind the edge. I like that the first run is pretty lean, the benefits of the hollow grind, and is this new run going to be nice and lean as well?

[UPDATE 7/27/2017 1015] Got woke up by this picture this morning. Bevels are done being milled and moving to outside shaping. Outside shaping will bring the point to, well, a point. Can't mill the bevels with the shape already pointy or the point won't be sharp. The train really has left the depot! Kevin, if you're reading this, thank you for the pictures. Everyone really appreciates them.
View attachment 740692

[UPDATE 7/25/2017 1801]
I have a very good update for everyone. The train has left the depot, gentlemen! This is the first American made Companion off the mills. Obviously the milling isn't finished, but the bevels are there. The rest are being milled right now. Progress!View attachment 740039
Do we have to do anything to insure you have all the correct information? After all this time I want to make sure there are no mishaps in getting my companion, I stuck by you the whole time, and I am very excited to be coming to the end. I knew you would do what ever it took to get this done. Thank you.

Hello and good morning,

My Name is Holger and I'm new to this forum.
I'm searching for a way to purchase a beautiful companion knife and get it send to germany.
I hope you all can help me and give me some good advices how to purchase it.

Thanks
Holger

Hey mate, just a few extra questions. Would it help speed things up if you had several sheath-makers doing the kydex at the same time as each other, in parallel? Also, will alternate handle scales still be available for purchase anytime after this production run? And considering you're thinking of closing down EKT (at least for the near future), what does that do to the warranty?

Cheers dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back