Generosity from the Great White North

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prester John

Gold Member
A couple of weeks ago @timberweasel posted that he had a 1960 Camillus Demo Knife that he salvaged from an estate sale, and offered it to whomever might be interested. The date is the year of my birth, and I love those military knives. I guess I was the first to reply, because Brett closed the thread and said he was shipping the knife to me. This is what I was expecting:
tXvOFuL.jpg

This is what I got:
SXN1Ayq.jpg

Some close-ups:
gQ22HnA.jpg

A Thiers knife from France with juniper scales and a leather pocket sheath.

LOBUgDG.jpg

A Miguel Nieto knife from Spain; the handle is curly birch.

Bfqrt1m.jpg

An extraordinarily bright keychain flashlight.

Both of the extra knives were new in box and very sharp. And I don't know how Brett knew how I love the Thiers pattern: it was on a short list of knives I wanted, and in fact planned to buy later for my birthday. I still might, for it is a pattern worth collecting. The Spanish knife is special too--a great size, with wonderful lines. What a wonderful surprise!

And the Camillus was in great shape for being as old as I am! I cleaned it up a little, oiled the joints, and touched up the edge of the spear blade.

I have thanked him already in a PM, but just wanted to acknowledge Brett's generosity here too.

Last edited:
I appreciate it. It looked somewhat similar to the juniper, but I wasn't quite sure. Glad to know what it is. Thanks!

Super similar. There are a few identifying characteristics tho. Juniper usually has small round knots...and curly burch has the “eyes” and frown/smile “knots”. :)
Sorry to derail the thread a bit...I’m a woodworker. Haha.
Glad I could help!
Again, congrats and please all, stay healthy and safe!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back