Generosity On The Porch

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by afishhunter, Mar 23, 2020.

1. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

afishhunter, mqqn and chuck4570 like this.
  2. timberweasel

timberweasel Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Chairs for everyone on this here porch! :cool::thumbsup:

-Brett

3. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Wanting to buy a bunch more isn't an issue. I'd like get a couple 36 and 48(?) 49(?) Sunfish/Whaler/Toenail/dozens of other names, but from what I've found online, $295 to $300 for a "mint like new in tube" or "lightly used" one is so far out of my price range, they are not even in the same galaxy, let alone the same solar system.
    So far, I am enjoying these two. :) possibly more than I should ...

4. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Rocking chairs :) Who doesn't like a good rock while honing their edges. ;)

5. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    Awesome! I am happy for you:D:thumbsup::thumbsup: My first GEC was a gift as well,and through that gift I too seen that the hype was real. I feel they deserve the accolades and was impressed enough to buy a couple more when I was blessed enough to do so. Props to yout benefactor, generosity of that caliber seems to be a common thing here. Such a rare and wonderful place this is:thumbsup:

6. Headwinds

Headwinds Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 15, 2016
    "Rare and wonderful place" sums it up very nicely!! Congratulations to both of you!:):)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  7. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Happy to hear this... makes my heart glad. Good folks on here.

8. Student762

Student762

Mar 7, 2014
    I reveived my first gec through a similarly generous member of the forum here.
    Miraculous to see such people walking through the world in this day and age.

9. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Wow-- your were blessed @afishhunter :thumbsup:

[​IMG]12847_70207_742_give by Pine Moon, on Flickr

RayseM, chuck4570 and afishhunter like this.
  10. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    This place we call the porch, is well known for the generosity of the members. I know I have been the recipient of such generosity and have given as well. That makes this place the very special place that it is. Its not just members of a forum, but a sort of extended family of the special sort.

Even though my interest in knives has faded a good deal, I will still come to the porch just to see what my friends that are like family, are up to. Who's got what, who's okay, and who's not. I can honesty say that the people that make up the porch are more important to me than a great many of the people I know in person.

This is, and has been, a special place only because of the very special people that are in it.

11. Âchillepattada

Âchillepattada Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 17, 2012
    A very rare and strange place where people are happy to see another person receiving a gift o_O:D.
    I love it :):thumbsdown:

Â

12. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I can honestly say you might not like me that much either - once you got to know me :rolleyes: :)

Otherwise @jackknife you are right :thumbsup:

Sharp & Fiery and Prester John like this.
  13. Storm 8593

Storm 8593

Jan 4, 2019
    Fine knives for a fine gentleman. Enjoy them

afishhunter and Âchillepattada like this.
  14. STDK

STDK Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 31, 2006
    Very generous gift. Use them in Good health.

afishhunter likes this.
  15. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Wonderful gesture!

afishhunter likes this.
  16. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    This is Great Stuff!

afishhunter likes this.
  17. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    It’s great to read things like this today. Congratulations!

Storm 8593, afishhunter and Cutfinger like this.
  18. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Congratulations on being the recipient of that generous gift, and for sharing the news here! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
    Sounds like you got 4 very fine knives.
    Plaudits to your thoughtful and generous benefactor! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
    Looking forward to hearing about how they'll fit into your carry rotation.

- GT

Cutfinger likes this.
  19. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    @5K Qs
    What "carry rotation"?

I took the stockman out of my pocket (and put it in the rollator just in case I need the budding/spey blade) since both the coping and Wharncliffe blades on the GEC Jigged Green Bone 61 can replace a sheepsfoot when I need a straight blade, so the 61 went into my pocket.
    The GEC Stag 85 Harness Jack has both a spear point and punch/awl, so I took the Marbles MR278 "Demo" Knife and Bundeswehr M1212 out and put the harness jack in (The Bundeswehr went into the rollator, in case I need the wood saw or hook sharpener.)

I haven't needed the "Demo" knife's the color?can opener since I stopped cooking for myself, and beverages with a bottle cap, like ale, mead, and beer are not permitted here for some strange and/or odd reason.
    I have screwdrivers (and a adjustable wrench) in the rollator.

The Grohmann R350S went in my pocket so I'd still have a slipjoint with a moderate length clip point blade. (sometimes the MR417's right at 4 inch clip point blade is too long. The 110 I'm carrying has a drop point blade, slightly shorter than what the MR417 has.)

The Case TF61028W DAM went into my pocket because (a) Damascus blade, and (b) It is too nice to sit/lie in a dark drawer crying.
    (bad enough listening to the stockman's, canoe's, and Barlow's crying.)

I'm not 100% sure (about anything) but I expect the four of them to be in my pocket until at least May or June ... o.k. ..maybe August ... or February... :)

Question:
    The 61 "Half Congress" is a "610211" Does anyone know what GEC calls the jigging pattern?
    I looked on the 'Production Totals' at the GEC website, but I don't believe they mentioned what the jigging pattern is. Just "Green Briar". I think that is the color?

Storm 8593 likes this.
  20. JustinR

JustinR Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2008
    On the 61, if it has the long bolsters stamped un-x-ld then yes green briar is the color. I'm not aware if there is a name for the jigging or not.

afishhunter likes this.