Gerber Applegate Covert review?

Does anyone own this knife? I intend to by it but I'd like to have your point of vue about this knife.

Well I am not skilled at writing reviews, but I do own the Gerber Applegate Covert and I've carried it in the rotation for about 2 years.

Knife Description:

Overall length is 8.6 inches
Closed is 4.8 inches
weight is 3.8 oz
Lock: Liner lock with the thumb engaged Roto lock as a secondary lock
Handle is Fiberglass Nylon (Zytel plastic)
Blade: Newer model is 154CM older model ATS 34.

I have an older model in ATS-34 with the false edge top (Dagger) style blade in silver with half serrations.

What I like about the knife.
Duel Locks make for a secure lock up
It carries very low in your pocket for descrete carry
Blade shape. I find the shape of the dagger blade good for a defense style and yet it opens letters better than any letter opener :)
Handle is comfortable in hand.
Overall finish, the signatures in the blade look cool (personal peference) the thumb stud is designed well and free of sharp edges the back of the blade above and behind the thumb stud, the only part exposed the rest of the blade sets down inside the handle is also rounded of edges which is nice when reaching into your pocket.

Thing I dislike or would change:
The handle while comfortable for the price it should be made with higher quility materials like G-10, Micarta ect... Nothing against "plastic" type handles if its good enough for a Glock firearm its fine for knives. But at the cost just should be better material.

The screws that hold the knife together are torx. While torx scres look high tech, few people have torx wrenches lying around. Also the bolt that holds the blade on its pivot is allen??? It should be the same as the handle.

Tip down carry, some love it some hate it. I don't dislike it but I prefer tip up carry for defense type knife.

Heavy. The knife feels heavier than other knives in the collection. Claimed weight is only 3.8 oz but it feels heavier.

Overall: I think it is a great knife. I usually carry mine when I am out for a bike ride because it sets so low in my pocket. I normally carry a REKAT Sifu or a Camillus max which are to big for bike shorts. Last suggestion, try to pick one up off E-bay or the forums. I got mine in mint condtion for like $45.00. Also if you like the spear blade shape Id say check out the Benchmade Ares. I like the handle better than the Gerber and the knife has the Axis lock which I think is far superior to a liner lock.

also. Had one that I got 2nd hand for 45 bux meself, with only some clip wear. I like the spear point for small work that requires such a blade shape. Has a tight lockup, and has a liner lock blocker similar in function to CRKT's LAWKS system.

One in G10 or Carbon fiber would be sweet, although I feel the steel liners add plenty of structure and rigidity to the knife. Small pkg, handle completerly encloses the blade when closed, nice taper and waist to the handle.

Still one of my 4 EDC rotation, along with the CRKT M16-14 Ti, SERE 2000, and Spyderco Endura.

Keith

Back