Gerber Fastball/ Kershaw Bareknuckle

TylerDurden3

Gold Member
Just received a Gerber fastball and a Kershaw Bareknuckle to try out some new blades in that price range.
The Kershaw is pretty exceptional for the price point. Drop shut, fires nice with a stiff detent, overall great fit and finish.
The Gerber fastball on the other hand must have been over looked in the QC department. The back spacer did not sit flush along the scale.The liners look like they were chewed out by a dog and the lock up was already at 100%. Half of the times it fired it looked like the only thing stopping the lock bar was the scale on the other side. I wasn’t expecting a whole hell of a lot but it would of been nice for it to be a little cleaner. I think it would of made a pretty sweet edc. Anyone else have any experiences like this?
Q5ISYd0.jpg

aEBGP5g.jpg

That is terrible. I was hearing good things about the Fastball too. It looks like Gerber still has work to do on its USA made line.

I agree about the Bareknuckle. I picked one up here on the exchange, and it is excellent. I was concerned that the detent would be too stiff, but no issues here.

I purchased a Bareknuckle but I just couldn't gt passed that stiff as hell detent. Had to send it back even though I loved the looks and feel in hand. What a shame.. my flipping finger is thankful.

Yep, sounds like a Gerber. I've never held a Gerber that didn't have at least 2 problems with it.

I mean come on, those liners don't even look finished.

Edited to add:
Holy crap I just saw the price on those!

I used really like Gerber knives but lost interest years ago when their quality began to slide. I had actually considered buying the Fastball since it has a bearing pivot and S30V blade but after seeing this post I think I’ll pass.

I'm sorry but that's just not right. The Bareknuckle has so much going for it. I have one and it's just a great knife.

Cheaper than the Gerber and with a way better warranty. I applaud Gerber for what they're trying to do, but it's obviously gonna take a little more work before they can step into the ring with the 7777.

Never been a Gerber fan. Bareknuckle’s a great knife.

I prefer a stronger detent. There’s a difference between a strong detent and defective detent.

I’ve returned / exchanged a number of Kershaw’s subs-frame lock knives due to defective detents.

Every replacement I received was perfect.

Back