Gerber Gator Review

Nice Necropost - thread is over a year and a half old ;)
11-12-2009

Last edited:
only coming back from the dead because snody is offering a 154cm knife for $99 so i started looking around and these knives are also same steel but half the price so i figured i'd bring the thread back.

Benchmade NimCub II also comes up about $80 which seems ok but has a black blade (which i dont prefer due to scratches being shown)

Last edited:
only coming back from the dead because snody is offering a 154cm knife for $99 so i started looking around and these knives are also same steel but half the price so i figured i'd bring the thread back.

Benchmade NimCub II also comes up about $80 which seems ok but has a black blade (which i dont prefer due to scratches being shown)

Incorrect. What you see as scratches is actually the material you are cutting rubbing off onto the blade. The DLC/Benchkote is basically as hard as diamonds, hence Diamond Like Coating (DLC). Not all black coatings are the same, COld Steel has a flimsy coating that will come off with a fingernail if scraped hard enough. :)

So it would appear the benchmade nimcub 2 is similar blade material to the snody boss but the
Benchmade is $ 80 with sheath and the snody is $ 99 without sheath.
Both have same blade length too.

blade steel isnt the only factor when it comes to prices of knives.

Gerber Ez Out in S30v clip point - $35

Sebenza 21 - $350++

as to gerber using the better steels instead of (5cr15mov, 7cr17mov, 7cr13mov, 425mod etc) the s30v EZ out i have has standed well against the abuse i put it against

Fantastic. I just ordered a $ 35 ez out gerber.

So you think that snody boss menace is better than the benchmade nimcub 2?
Same metal but benchmade comes with sheath and is $ 20 less.

well i think the boss is a good EDC knife, but being a fixed blade you might have problems with laws (pending what state your in) or problems carrying it into places around sheeple (people afraid of knives, guns etc) however the boss looks like a good investment. but i have no idea of youll have the lifetime warranty BM provides. as to the sheath. i would be very surprised if the knife didnt come with something even if not shown, and if it doesnt then you can consider it a good chance to making one yourself or have one made. i would go with the boss, but just be careful with that chisel grind, it looks like a traditional chisel which is made fore lefties

I am leaning towards the nimcub 2..seems to be similar size and blade material and comes with
Sheath and is cheaper.
I don't have unlimited funds and don't think the boss would
Be any better.....just different.

I have two, one clip point in 440 I've had for more than 15 years and the drop point in 154CM I've had for, I dunno, 10 years, and I really like them. The kraton handles are rather sticky, good for grip but a bit harder to get out of the sheath. Go get one!

As much as I detest the direction Gerber is heading as a company I think the Gator is a classic design and a very servicable knife.

i use one from time to time in hunting big game and it performs very well. the handle is top notch feel and shape, the steel is same as buck, cheap but heat treated in a way that gets the job done.

By coincidence I was just looking at the Gator tonight that I bought in 1990-ish. There's no blade play at all, and the grip feels wonderful. I'd forgotten how comfortable of a knife it is.

Old thread but my brother has an old half serrated Gerber that he said is a Gator that he bought in the 90s, the model number is 650.
Does anyone here know what steel was used in the 650 ?
I may be wrong but when they came out I think they used 420HC, made some in S30V and most that I see thesedays show 154CM.
Can anyone satisfy mine and my brothers curiosity of what steel was used in his 650 ?
Thanks

Most likely 420. I’ve got one of those older 400-600 series Gerbers and they are comfortable knives.

Old thread but my brother has an old half serrated Gerber that he said is a Gator that he bought in the 90s, the model number is 650.
Does anyone here know what steel was used in the 650 ?
I may be wrong but when they came out I think they used 420HC, made some in S30V and most that I see thesedays show 154CM.
Can anyone satisfy mine and my brothers curiosity of what steel was used in his 650 ?
Thanks

440a, 425m, 420Hc, ATS34, 154cm, S30v are all the steels I remember them being made in. 440A and 425m being some of the earliest.

Most likely 420. I’ve got one of those older 400-600 series Gerbers and they are comfortable knives.

Yep, he loves his, he`s field dressed quite a few deer with it through the years.
He`s got money but hes a cheapskape, lol, I bought him his first benchmade when I was at SMKW a few weeks ago and gave him an early Christmas present.

Back