Gerber prybrid

upstate88

Gold Member
I like to carry big fixed blades. Working in an office setting people give me looks when I pull out an auto or my Adamas. I grabbed a Gerber Prybrid and like it a lot except... I have ordered two packages of the blades from different manufactures and they both have way to much wobble. I have email Gerber 3 times, with no luck. Does anyone have a name brand for the blades that fit snug?

Thanks in advance.

Utility blades are uniform since they are mass produced in the millions, I would think that some slop in the Gerber is what's causing the wobble.

Utility blades are uniform since they are mass produced in the millions, I would think that some slop in the Gerber is what's causing the wobble.
I beg to differ. The utility blade that comes in the E.A.B(I know he’s talking about the prybrid) is substantially thicker than standard utility razor blades.

If I were to guess they outfit them from factory with a “contractor” grade blade as they do with the E.A.B. Standard craft blades are more than likely thinner than the stock blade.

There is no slop with the blade it shipped with. The Prybrid relies on different points of contact for a snug fit than what a typical hobby razor relies on. It is just a bit frustrating that I picked up on that right off the bat, and that Gerber has not replied to any of my emails. I really wanted to have something small and handy, but maybe I should just get a Victorinox. Anyone out there get blades for theirs yet? I am going to do some searching on youtube and such.

Can you put a bit of masking or painters tape on the side of the blade to make it fit a little more snug? Or maybe bend the carrier a bit to make it less wobbly?

My guess is that short of just trying other blades to see what works, you may just be stuck with some wiggle short of thickening up the blade with tape as unwisefool mentioned.

Maybe check the blade section at the local big box hardware store. While I havent checked for wiggle difference, the serrated utility blade I keep in my ScrewPop tool seems more robust the more basic type.

So Gerber told me to buy the Fiskars blade, which where 5 times the price of others. Guess what, still a loose sloppy fit.

Yeah, with the price difference in blades, you're better off with a different chassis.

The GilTek RUK is cool, the aluminum one doesn't cost much. Got a little pry spot on the end.

ScrewPop Ron's Utility Knife 3.0 is very inexpensive and has great reviews.

The Outdoor Edge Slidewinder is also in the $10 range, and is readily available.

Damn the luck... here I was in the Gerber thread saying I thought folks should give them a go.

How loose is it? I don't think I've seen one of these types of utility knives that don't have any looseness -- there's always some in my experience. Do you have a way to post a video showing how much blade play your's has?

I've been considering the Prybrid after finding how useful my Slidewinder is.

CEMdXTJ.jpg

First time I see a good looking box cutter ! Collectables from start of 20th century ?

6046233A-F630-4F80-92EA-534BDBD85FB1.jpeg herisson herisson . If you are talking about the Stanley’s I posted. The 299 is no longer made and it is old and very desirable. The 199 is still made, the only difference is the new one has 2 blade studs, and it forces you to have the blade more exposed. The original 199 only had one blade stud so you could choose which one you wanted to use. To have the blade more or less exposed.

The first job I had in the trades the boss only allowed fixed blade utility knives on the job site. His reasoning was it was always open and dangerous, so you treated it like it was always open and dangerous and it never closed while using it. So there were less accidents even though it was “less safe.”

The next job I had, they were forbidden because retractable ones were “safer.”

given a choice I always carry a fixed blade one. They just work better, and they appeal to my old school personality. The Checkering and the fleur de lis are so obviously 1911 inspired.

Last edited:
The Prybrid. Not great, not terrible.

There is a little blade wiggle and you can pull the blade out without lifting the lock bar detent thingy, but that shouldn't effect box cutting performance.

rgB2XIx.jpg

Back