Gerber's LMF II or, Cold Steels SRK?

Good evening all from Southern California, i just came back from a wonderful 14 mile round trip hike to the San Gabriel mountains "Bridge to Nowhere," it was a great long hike, made it back in time before the pitch dark set in!

On the other hand, i need a new knife for whatever reason, mainly my Glock field knife is not flexible enough, meaning the sheath is to tight at times when i was traversing through the terrain, the knifes sheath would 'stick' me sometimes.

For this reason, i have come to conclusion that i would look at my options for my next knife. I have on my immediately mind an Cold Steel SRK or even the Recon. What i see in the SRK and Recon is functionality and durability, heck Cold Steel does one heck of a job in marketing their knives (they sold me!) Next, is the Gerber LMF II, it's a great looking knife with a nice sheath! My concern is it functional and durable in the same league as the SRK and Recon?

Lastly, the SRK is used by a military agency and that holds alot of ground for me, i'm leaning towards SRK but tell me about the LMF II, and Recon (is the Recon overkill, but i love that thickness!):thumbup:

LMF II or SRK or (Recon)?

Personally I would go with the Recon scout. That knife will take anything (and I mean anything) that you would hope to throw at it. SRK is basically same story as the recon....dont have much experience with gerber....

my little brother has taken his SRK into the sandbox more than once.
I like my recon scout.
either is hard to beat at the price point.

I don't like combo blades in a trail knife, and have yet to see an LMF II with a plain edge.

I have an older SRK in carbon V. It is a really solid knife, but a little thick for slicing.

You might want to check over on the Wilderness & Survival skills subforum, there was just a thread asking for input on choosing between the SRK and a Fallkniven S1. There was not much love for the new AUS8 SRK's but the older Carbon V knives have some followers.

For a few dollars more, you could get a RAT RC-4. I would take this knife over my SRK on almost any outing. The RAT Cutlery knives have a really solid following. Check out their subforum. If you go this route, be sure of what you are ordering, there has been more than a little confusion between the Ontario Randall knives and the Rat Cutlery knives.

I have the Gerber. It's an okay knife, but if I had it to do over I'd buy something else. It was designed for a specific purpose and I'm unlikely to be in a situation that requires me to cut through the aluminum skin of a downed helicopter. I think a Rat RC 3 would have probably suited my needs better.

I've got the Recon Scout, it's a beast of a knife but honnestly it would have been a better user at a 1/4" or even at 3/16" instead of 5/16". If you like the tickness go for the trailmaster but it's alot of steel to carry. RC-6 would be a better choice for me...

I actually like the look of the Gerber better, but would much rather buy a Cold Steel knife. Yeah, their macho hype is tiring, but at the end of the day, they make a solid product. I vote for the SRK. Recon Scout is nice too, but may be overkill for your needs.

I may get the Recon Scout for their over kill 'ness.' If i get the SRK, will i be thinking i should have gotten the Recon Scout? Or SRK or Recon?

Also from the factory are they pretty sharp knives?

None of the above, one can do so much better for 100 dollars... Cold Steel carbon or Gerber crap stainless? no thanks. Becker all the way.

On the Becker BK9 and the Cold Steel Recon, i'm concerned on the grip on the BK9? IS it cheap, does it have a sturdy grip? I know the Recon has a good grip, but how is the grip on the BK9? Any aftermarket? Plus the price on the BK9 is pretty nice.

BK-9 is one my favorite blade...as for the handle I have no problem with it but I have big hands...

"...Gerber's LMF II or, Cold Steels SRK?..."
-Glock26

So what's the difference between the LMF-II and SRK, you ask?
Well, the LMF-II is a heavier package (mainly because of it's steel butt, compared to the SRK.
If you're just into "light" hiking the choice becomes obvious.
IMO, the LMF-II might work out better if you're intending to replicate an episode rivalling that of man vs wild.

hmm, this is tough. Looking at it on a budget perspective, does the Recon Scout still play a factor as a good all around knife for almost anything? i want that big hearty knife, chopping wood, cutting onions and slicing through tomato, and still worth of being on my side when i'm out in the outdoors...

Back