Germantown Tool Hewing Hatchet.

We would need to see your hatchet. It is flat on one side? Since you want the same angle more or less along the entirety of the bit, it depends on how much material there is to make that angle the same all the way across.

Some of them were made a little thicker in the middle that does end up looking like a “banana grind” when the same angle is applied from heel to toe:

L. & I. J. White

White

True Temper

American Sharpie

Some were made pretty flat.
Hults Bruk

HB.hewing

Plumb

BlckPermaPlumbHew

I could be all wrong on that but it seems that if you wanted a banana looking grind on one that was pretty flat cheeked then you would have to modify the chisel grind in the middle of the bit to achieve it.
Also, sometimes the amount of wear that it has on it might alter what you end up with.

Two cents.

Last edited:
We would need to see your hatchet. It is flat on one side? Since you want the same angle more or less along the entirety of the bit, it depends on how much material there is to make that angle the same all the way across.

Some of them were made a little thicker in the middle that does end up looking like a “banana grind” when the same angle is applied from heel to toe:

L. & I. J. White

White

True Temper

American Sharpie

Some were made pretty flat.
Hults Bruk

HB.hewing

Plumb

BlckPermaPlumbHew

I could be all wrong on that but it seems that if you wanted a banana looking grind on one that was pretty flat cheeked then you would have to modify the chisel grind in the middle of the bit to achieve it.
Also, sometimes the amount of wear that it has on it might alter what you end up with.

Two cents.
About as succinct and accurate a reply as you could wish for!

About as succinct and accurate a reply as you could wish for!
Depending on the premise because I understand the question to be about the profile of the edge and if it ought to be straight or arching. On the face of it there is nothing in the question directly about the bevel shape only its angle. Now if I have the premise correct I'd say, succinctly, straight edge and depending on the edge material and intended use a bevel angle of between 25 and 35 degrees.

Depending on the premise because I understand the question to be about the profile of the edge and if it ought to be straight or arching. On the face of it there is nothing in the question directly about the bevel shape only its angle. Now if I have the premise correct I'd say, succinctly, straight edge and depending on the edge material and intended use a bevel angle of between 25 and 35 degrees.
It sucks when you make a definitive statement and are wrong. Haha. But if it's wrong it's wrong! I think the reference to a "banana" shape got me thinking about grind and not edge angle and profile. NOW he has the best answer he could wish for!

Listen, until we know better who's to say who got the intended meaning wrong but the ambiguity has left us with useful information regardless. It's why I am resigned to embrace ambiguity in all instances as you rightly put it. Let him go forward with the one he decides suites him best and leave it at that, coming back with question or commentary #2 on another topic, then we are all equally pleased in the world as we interpret it, don't you agree?

Last edited:
Back