Gerstner Tool Chest

NWPM2

Gold Member
I looked, but didn't see a thread dedicated to Gerstner Tool Chests. I did see a few mentions here and there in discussions about knife storage options, but nothing dedicated.

I don't have one, but I sure do want one. I thought it might be interesting to post a picture of the ones that you do have and discuss/show what you keep in them. I bet a lot of the chests have an interesting history, too, that you might want to share.

Edit: I had this in the wrong forum. Thank you to the moderator that moved it for me. Thank you!

Last edited:
I wish I had one as well.

I can't see paying that much though.

I am hoping we'll hear some stories and see some interesting pictures that will convince me to get one!

I have one, purchased from Gerstner at Blade some years ago for a substantial discount. An 1805 Retro, it was called a Model 38 when I bought mine. I paid $350 plus shipping, they’re over $1200 now. I have my eyes on another one but haven’t decided which model yet. Generally speaking, when a new product (most are old patterns though) is introduced, its at least $300 (or more) cheaper in the initial offering. They are beautifully built, and last generations. Are they worth it? In my opinion they are. One of the odd things is that carbon tools don’t appear to be overly susceptible to rust in stored in a Gerstner. I’m speaking about the US made ones, I have no experience with the international series.

It sounds like you got a really good deal. I looked the 1805 Retro Model up and that would be about the kind that I'd like. I'll have to keep an eye out for a new model and see what they sell for.

I would definitely lean more toward a US made one. I'd never heard about carbon tools being more protected from rust in a Gerstner. It sounds like another reason to get one!

I have had several Gerstner chests and other makes. I like the Union boxes better for a vintage look. I use a Union box in the bedroom as a pocket dump - jewelry box - store watches - important little stuff - box. For reloading tools and parts I use a Gerstner and a "no name" that is very similar to the Gerstner with almost identical hardware (the hardware is not marked Gerstner).

I just have not found any of the cheaper chests that come close to matching the Gerstner quality. The Union chests are pretty close.

What I have found interesting is that through careful shopping I have been able to purchase more than one vintage Gerstner in very good condition for much less than new ones. What I have done several times is purchased an older chest that is quite dirty, and then used quality wood cleaner to clean it up. I have resold a few and given a couple to close friends.

I've definitely been on the lookout for an old Gerstner that I could restore. I think that would be a great way to save some money, have a project, and wind up with something that already has some character.

Where have you found the vintage ones, Practical Use Practical Use ? Did you clean and refinish them as well? I've watched a few videos on restoring Gerstners and it looks like a very fun project.

The Union ones look good, too. I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those as well! You have some very lucky friends if you gave them a Gerstner!

I've definitely been on the lookout for an old Gerstner that I could restore. I think that would be a great way to save some money, have a project, and wind up with something that already has some character.

Where have you found the vintage ones, Practical Use Practical Use ? Did you clean and refinish them as well? I've watched a few videos on restoring Gerstners and it looks like a very fun project.

The Union ones look good, too. I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those as well! You have some very lucky friends if you gave them a Gerstner!

Keep an eye out at yard and estate sales. I’ve noticed a lot more interest in vintage Gerstner chests the last few years, driving up the prices. Also, Gerstner has an annual sale, I think it was in May but am not 100% sure.

Thank you for all of the information, JB. I do look at yard and estate sales, but haven't gotten lucky yet. I'll keep an eye out for Gerstner's annual sale.

I found a few videos on YouTube where one fellow followed an older Gerstner of his through the restoration process. It came out in basically new condition. I do think I'd like to preserve a little of the honest wear and tear if I did get one, but the restoration was done extremely well.

I have purchased all of mine online (the bay) since about 2002. I do not refinish, I just clean with Murphy and/or Formby's furniture cleaner, and then oil them. I think I have purchased about 5 or 6. I wait for a good buy and reasonable shipping.

I will give the big auction site a look, Ed.

I'm hoping to eventually get one for myself. I think it would be most interesting to get one that's in pretty rough shape and restore it the best I can. I do like the oak they use.

What have you used as an oil on the ones that you've gotten? I've used boiled linseed oil and dewaxed shellac on maple and really liked the results. I've also used what's called Arm R Seal from General Finishes on walnut and really liked the results of that. I haven't refinished any oak before, though.

For oil/finish I have used tongue oil, Howard Orange Oil Furniture Polish, pledge, just about anything my wife has in stock.

The online retailer Garrett Wade offers a selection of Gerstner chests, often at pretty good discounts, although I think much of their list is the Chinese built products. See the list here at:https://www.garrettwade.com/shop-tools/storage-gerstner-chests.html

One big reason for going to Blade show was the chance to check the cabinets out in person and usually get something good at a great price or a deal on shipping.

Harbor Freight offers a cheaper "wood" cabinet for less than $100 but I've actually had the veneer peel off the actual "wood", which leads to an interesting exterior:) Your mileage may vary!

The cabinets are great looking and well made, albeit heavy and not easily portable. I'd suggest double checking exactly how much space you get on the interior of the drawers so it'll work for your collectibles.

I'm thinking my next move might be to a traditional tool chest with casters and deeper drawers designed to handle significant weight.

Last edited:
That link shows some really nice looking chests. I'll have to stalk that site to see if they'll have any deals on a US made chest.

I have a Harbor Freight one now and it works out pretty good. It's been holding up so far, but it sure doesn't have the look or feel of a quality Gerstner.

I have been looking at traditional tool chests, too. Something that big might encourage me to fill it up, though. :D

I've seen huge huge huge flea markets and nice estate sales in Florida and those retirement states.

Old fellers retire, take their tools with them and then die there.

The "International" range are the chinese plywood laminated sawdust

Last edited:
Back