Get an Opossum Off Your Porch!

Just a few minutes ago I heard the sound of something falling on my front porch, followed by the sound of my dog barking, that bark that tells me I need to go check it out. So I grabbed my .22 rifle and headed to the door. I flipped the porch light on, and lo and behold, there was this little guy, trying to navigate a way down from the back of the plastic lawn chair:

Opossum.jpg

I didn't have any shoes on, so I came back in and grabbed my shoes and my camera (I figured I had to tell you guys about this, and without pictures I'd be blackballed :foot:), while he high-tailed it to the far corner of the porch, hiding in a corner behind a cabinet where all our junk tends to wind up. So I waited him out, and after a minute he came out and climbed up the screen door to try and get out the way he had come in—through the screen (gotta fix that, thanks for the reminder little buddy). I took that opportunity to take the above picture.

Unfortunately, he didn't like the photo shoot—guess he forgot to gel his fur beforehand—and scooted off back to his corner. I wedged open the screen door to give him an escape route, brought in my cat when she came in to investigate the noise (gave her a bowl of milk to make her forget about how I wouldn't let her do her 'job') and waited. He stayed put. So I climbed on top of the (low, thankfully) cabinet, walking stick in hand, and started prodding his behind to get him to motivate. No good. He insisted that he liked it where he was, thank you very much and goodnight. :yawn:

I was stumped as to how to move the lil' guy without dismantling half my porch (the junk, not the actual porch) until I set eyes on the clothesline hanging from an eyelet in front of me. I forget why it was even there, but it gave me an idea. My walking stick has a hole for a lanyard at the top! I cut two feet of line off, ran it through the handy hole, made a quick slipknot (not smart, Josh) noose, and in about two seconds had it maneuvered around his neck. Opossums are tough critters, so I wasn't too worried about hurting him. Up he came, but he wasn't happy about it. That prehensile tail was grabbing onto everything he could reach to slow him down. The tight space didn't help much, either.

I got him outside soon, though, after setting him down on the floor so he wouldn't choke, then jumping over him and down myself, but once outside I realized my earlier folly: the slipknot. Instead of the loop-through-overhand knot variety I'd tied, I should have tied a bowline and run the loop through that. Because now I had no easy way to loosen the noose around the poor critter's neck (if I'd done it right, as soon as the tension was off, he'd be free). So I had to drag him halfway back inside, fetch my gloves and a towel, throw the towel over his head, and pull at the knot till the loop was big enough for him to duck out of it and scamper off. He was a gentleman about it, though, and never even threatened to bite. In fact, he quite thoughtfully held (mostly) still for me.

At least he knows I mean business now. :D I also re-tied that noose properly as soon as he was off, in case I need it again. :thumbup:

Cool shot! What's up with the earring? :D ...I'm guessing he's been tagged?

I had to shoot a possum once down in Texas...He came waddling out of the dark and scared my Ex-wife half to death..she let out scream, and my then dog MAX (Healer/pit mix) reactedso fast! one bite! He shook and tossed the poor critter straight up in the air..I told him to stop..he sat down and wagged his tail...big smile! The possum landed with a broken back..I had to shoot it to stop its suffering. I have a pic of this dog..what a good companion he was! I felt bad for the possum, and proud of my defender.

Great story and pic! Opossum can look pretty vicious when cornered, can't they? That ol' mouth can open far enough to look pretty menacing and those little teeth look like a razor saw. :D I think few people realize how beneficial they are to have around (as long as they don't get in the house, that is). Though they can be carriers like all mammals, I've heard the rabies virus has difficulty living in their body because their body temps are too low as well.

1731893232_795aede304.jpg

Last edited:
Great story. I enjoyed reading that.:thumbup::thumbup:

When our German Shepherd/Rott mix was a puppy, he wasn't even 5 months old when he tangled with a BIG possum in the backyard. There was 10 inches of snow on the ground and a blood trail that went all the way to behind the shed. Thinking it was our dog that was bleeding, I looked him over well, but then realized he got the possum with those baby canines good. Mojo now kills anything he can. He is fully up to speed at any moment on flea/tick stuff and rabies shots. I lost track of all the rabbits so far. :D

Possums are tough little buggers. I watched my aunt's big ol' farm labrador tangle with one once, and the possum put up one heck of a fight. I remember being quite impressed-the dog ended up killing the possum, but not before he received several hard bites and gashes on the snout. Man, was that dog angry! This is the same dog that used to routinely run down and kill deer. I would not want to try to pick one up- they're like little woodchippers when they get riled!

We get a fair number of possums coming through our yard this time of year - they come along the top of a cement block wall that gives them access to both ours and our neighbor's fruit trees.

My two dogs, a Patterdale terrier and a shepherd-jindo mix, take them out nearly every time.

The shepherd will jump up the wall and grab the possum off the top. She'll usually drop it on the way down, and the terrier goes after it.

By the time I get out there, it's usually dead. Occasionally I've had to put one out of its misery. Sometimes I only know about it when I go out in the morning and find the carcass.

Great pics and great story !!!

Good on ya for owning up to tying the wrong knot, many people would have left that part out but you were working under pressure and still came through in the end which is what counts !!!!

Don't ya love the rural life, this is what I came home to early one night this Spring:

2007_07130047a.jpg

Let's just say they never came back, if you look closely you'll count five of 'em, ya can only see the ears on one of 'em.:D

I surprised a possum on my back deck in Oregon some years back. It reared up and showed teeth, and I reflexively shot it with my pistol, taking most of it's head off. While disposing of the body in the woods, the pouch revealed a bunch of babies, still too young to have opened eyes.

The cats loved them.

The circle of life is cruel, isn't it?

Didn't put the garage door down until late one night. The next morning, I went to put on my boots before going to work and discovered the toe of one of the boots had something in it. I reach in and was promptly bitten on the end of the thumb by a little oppossum. He was scared senseless so I didn't have the heart to do anything other that let him go in the front yard.

Some of 'em are just cute fuzzy animals, still vermin but cute.

Here's a cute little varmit I found in a tree by the driveway, North American Grey Flyin' Squirrel.

2006_05020101-1.jpg

2006_05020168.jpg

Tiny, furry animals are always cute. Thanks for sharing even if they can be a pest.

Gunknifenut, that sounds a great dog you've got there. Show us a pic?

Ejes, thanks, I figured y'all would appreciate this. :D Aye, their mouths are vicious-looking. It looks like they could easily gnaw through a tin can with those teeth. I didn't know that about their body temp being too low to carry disease, that's interesting!

Twinblade, sounds like a good mix of breeds. Might want to keep an eye out for the rabbits, though, they carry other stuff than rabies. Ringworms and the like, if I'm not mistaken. I seem to remember something about not letting your dogs eat the brain.

Wilson, that they are. Haha, a Labrador running down deer? He wasn't a mixed breed? I've never heard of a Lab killing a deer before, usually they're soft-mouthed.

Grampa: Haha, they've got them a system going, then!

Great pics and great story !!!

Good on ya for owning up to tying the wrong knot, many people would have left that part out but you were working under pressure and still came through in the end which is what counts !!!!

Thank you, pitdog. Yeah, I felt really bad for unnecessarily choking the poor thing. I'll definitely remember to do it right the next time!

here`s my little friend.
he shows up every night to eat some of my dog`s food.
DSCN3322.jpg

Aw, he looks cute! Looks like your variety has larger ears, or is it just me? Good pic!

Don't ya love the rural life, this is what I came home to early one night this Spring:

2007_07130047a.jpg

Let's just say they never came back, if you look closely you'll count five of 'em, ya can only see the ears on one of 'em.:D

Yeah, we get those too. Not so many at once, usually just one. They come up and get my cat's food. Usually I just scare them off.

Robert, that's just... :grumpy: Ugh, never a nice thing to have happen.

Didn't put the garage door down until late one night. The next morning, I went to put on my boots before going to work and discovered the toe of one of the boots had something in it. I reach in and was promptly bitten on the end of the thumb by a little oppossum. He was scared senseless so I didn't have the heart to do anything other that let him go in the front yard.

Chubbbs, wow, that's unusual, for one so small to be away from it's mother like that. Should have got a pic, though, that'd be priceless. "The Little Old Opossum In The Shoe" :D

What'd-ja-do to those poor Racoons? It looks like you've got them climbing the walls.

Back