Get an Opossum Off Your Porch!

What'd-ja-do to those poor Racoons? It looks like you've got them climbing the walls.

Introduced 'em to Shauna, my 125 lb German Shepard.:eek:

Just kiddin' chased the babies away and the mama followed, also remembered not to leave dry catfood at night.

I surprised a possum on my back deck in Oregon some years back. It reared up and showed teeth, and I reflexively shot it with my pistol, taking most of it's head off. While disposing of the body in the woods, the pouch revealed a bunch of babies, still too young to have opened eyes.

The cats loved them.

The circle of life is cruel, isn't it?

Good thing you were safe after facing such a dangerous foe in battle:D

I have caught many possoms get them by the end of the tail and hold them out where they can't get a hold of your leg. If you happen to catch one at work, the boss's office is a handy place to release them:thumbup:.He must have liked it in there, he stayed in there for 3 days eatin' scraps out of the trash can and using the desk as a toilet:D sleeping in a drawer ;)

That little guy?

I just grab them by the tail, keep them swinging and they wont get you, same with coons, no worrys.

I've got great memories of watching baby raccons climb the walls in my parents house when I was young. We had them for weeks untill they wandered off out of an apple tree when we wheren't looking. Not too much experience with opposums..just up trees or squished on the road.

Patrick

Does anyone have any tips for getting a possum off a porch? We feed our outside cat but this possum comes up some night. A spray bottle usually works but not tonight. Any advice would be great. Tonight it went through the rails instead of down the stairs

I have caught countless opossums by running at them quickly. They typically will then play dead. Sometimes you have to nudge them over with a shoe to get them to play dead. Then you can easily pick them up and move them by the tail.

Have only been bit once by a juvenile that didn't play dead, and when I picked it up by the tail, it climbed up itself and bit my hand. Not hard enough to draw blood.

Don't be afraid of them. They are nearly harmless and rarely if ever carry rabies.

If you don't want them on the porch, don't leave food out. Same with skunks, but I've never tried to catch one of those.

I have caught countless opossums by running at them quickly. They typically will then play dead. Sometimes you have to nudge them over with a shoe to get them to play dead. Then you can easily pick them up and move them by the tail.

Have only been bit once by a juvenile that didn't play dead, and when I picked it up by the tail, it climbed up itself and bit my hand. Not hard enough to draw blood.

Don't be afraid of them. They are nearly harmless and rarely if ever carry rabies.

If you don't want them on the porch, don't leave food out. Same with skunks, but I've never tried to catch one of those.

I'm too scared too run at those things. It hissed at me. It was on a little metal table. I cant really run at it because the porch doesnt have much and pushing it with the broom doesn't work well with. I'm not gonna try to grab it while it's facing me.

Put a couple of teaspoons of ammonia in your squirt bottle. It'll smart their eyes but not permanently.

Put a couple of teaspoons of ammonia in your squirt bottle. It'll smart their eyes but not permanently.
Please don't spray any animal that isn't trying to kill you or yours with ammonia...

Either don't leave food out, or accept the occasional opossum. They won't attack you or your animals.

Please don't spray any animal that isn't trying to kill you or yours with ammonia...

Either don't leave food out, or accept the occasional opossum. They won't attack you or your animals.
I will continue to use normal water dont worry. We use it to try to keep them from coming back

When I was about 10 years old, we lived on the outskirts of town on a dead end road. Guys would come by on their dirt bikes heading out to ride in the country. We had two dogs that would chase the bikes and dad feared they'd get run over or hit. He gave a couple of the guys a squirt bottle each with diluted ammonia water, with the instruction to squirt it in their eyes when they chase you. They did and the dogs quit chasing the motorcycles.
Their eyes only smarted.

Had to pull a young skunks head out of a old Gatorade bottle once. He was appreciative about it. No spraying of his butt cologne.

About a month ago, this was number 4 to get in our garage, but I finally think I've found how they got in.

6t4zKKW.jpg

I see possums every couple of days. I ignore them. The raccoons attack my bird feeders to the point I have to take down the one sunflower feeder at night. Nice photos.

I see possums every couple of days. I ignore them. The raccoons attack my bird feeders to the point I have to take down the one sunflower feeder at night. Nice photos.
I had the same problem with coons and my bird feeders. I took some of those Shepard hooks and strapped then 2X to my fence posts with SS hose clamps. Then I hang the feeders off of the hooks with paracord. A loop on the end and a well placed screw will hold the feeder at waist height for refilling.

Back