Gettin' Jiggy With It - Jigged Bone Photos

GEC's jigged bone on their Boy's Knives is probably a more automated process than some of the more premium knives, and maybe isn't as pretty as some the beauties - old and new - shown in this thread. But I do like the way this 2013 Rust Red looks, especially how some of the sharper peaks have smoothed and rounded somewhat, with a bit of pocket wear. :)

zVZdKMb.jpg

BigBiscuit BigBiscuit or black mamba black mamba I think one if you has a 16 in Northfield trim with Antique Amber Jigged Bone. Could you post that here for me? I really like that version of Antique Amber and the jigging that was accomplished.
Thanks,
Josh

Mark, I like how that jigging is all the way to the edge. Who made that knife?

Thanks Mike! It is stamped G. Knauth over New York. I haven't had much luck finding info on them, other than they were known for cutlery repair and operated from 1876-1911 when G.(Gustav) passed away and the company continued under the sons control until 1941. Are you familiar with the name?

Mark, first I've heard of that company. I take it you looked it up in Goins? If not: "His speciality was fine pocket cutlery, including combination knives. In connection with his store and factory, he did a large amount of repair work both for the public and private cutlery trade." Born in Germany in 1845 where he learned the cutler's trade before settling in NYC. Retail store opened in 1876 in NYC, factory in 1900 in Spring Valley, NY. Says he commuted in from Spring Valley to the retail store nearly every day. Closed in 1941 after fire burned down the factory.
Very cool knife! I think jigging the bone up to the bolsters and out to the edges is a nice hallmark of quality from back in the day.

Thanks BigBiscuit BigBiscuit . That's the one. Just like copperhead jigged bone, GEC comes close, but no runs are exactly the same. The 81 copperhead jigged bone was so perfect imo, where the 42 is more a brown.
Your antique Amber on that 16 is the best imo of the various runs. Compare your 16 to the recent 98 cattle, both are great but they nailed it on the 16.
Thanks again good Sir!

I was a brief caretaker of an 81 copperhead jigged bone. Old KBA needed to raise some funds and I obliged. I kept it for a while, admired it, couldn't bring myself to using his knife. I mailed it back to him. That knife was a gift from his wife I do believe, and it wasn't right sitting there in my drawer. I think he still has it.
Back to the jigging, I think the 81 copperhead jigged bone is my favorite that GEC has ever produced.

Back