Gettin' Jiggy With It - Jigged Bone Photos

Schrade Cut Co 2157 Barlow
jp0c0uO.jpg

Feeling sorry for myself here in Northern Minnesota, having received 10" of snow last night and this morning which, with our first snowfall in early October last year, makes seven (7!) months of winter weather. At least the ice is now off the lakes. Picture driving home last night, before it got heavy.
IMG_7092.jpg

I'm helping myself feel better by looking at BF, admiring everything folks have to show and as always learning from the experts. Here is an ancient Boker barehead HJ with the barely legible mark: "H. Boker Co.'s Improved Cutlery". My limited knowledge about Boker history indicates this knife could be made in either Germany between 1869 and 1910, or in the USA between 1899 and the 1920’s. I hope an expert can set me straight.

IMG_7095.jpg

The HJ is shown for its nice dark brown jigged bone:

IMG_7093.jpg IMG_7094.jpg

David, I'm not an expert, but the punch may be the key. If you take some shots of blade/punch open, mark side/pile side with close-up of the punch, someone might be able to pin it to one country or the other. That stamp was the only stamp used by both U.S. & Germany.

David, I'm not an expert, but the punch may be the key. If you take some shots of blade/punch open, mark side/pile side with close-up of the punch, someone might be able to pin it to one country or the other. That stamp was the only stamp used by both U.S. & Germany.

Thanks, here are some extra pics. First the Boker Tree stamp on the pile side of the main blade
3D6973EB-829E-4171-8A46-204527C13E80.jpeg

Then pics of both sides of the punch, which is a real nail breaker to open. (Doesn’t someone here sell a slick guitar pick kind of tool to help open reluctant blades? I suddenly find myself in the market for such a thing!)
9AB4CC8D-496F-4911-A971-C945BA7D49C2.jpeg 921F6E7E-CF5E-4E9B-8E88-6BF376864808.jpeg

Last edited:
Back