Gettin' Jiggy With It - Jigged Bone Photos

Bloody nice! ;)

BwL9lvE.jpg

Unique and grippy!

12wyiMq.jpg

Terry made his own Jigged bone!! A Sole Author kind of maker!!:eek:
Great job on that knife!!!:thumbsup:

This thread has been dormant way too long! I have some Terry Davis jigged bone today on a long pull gents folder with a blade that is nearly an Ettrick but not quite enough to belong in the Ettrick thread. Hoping to see some good stuff - I know it’s out there!
View attachment 1334463
View attachment 1334461
View attachment 1334464

Simply magnificent bone on that one, deep texture and a nice medium colour to it. Not really long pull though is it? You can get Wharncliffes with long pull but they always look a bit strange to my eye;) so I'd say it was deep nick :) The pattern and length of blade are like a Norfolk knife, an old pattern that originated in England- Ettricks are very short blade Wharncliffes, sometimes curved, with a long handle.

A really superb knife to be owning, the envy factor is skyrocketing :D:thumbsup::cool:

Terry made his own Jigged bone!! A Sole Author kind of maker!!:eek:
Great job on that knife!!!:thumbsup:

Thank you Charlie, I believe I read somewhere that you and Terry got to know each other years back at the annual Oregon show. I am a big fan of Sole Authorship makers and feel lucky to have a knife like this.

Simply magnificent bone on that one, deep texture and a nice medium colour to it. Not really long pull though is it? You can get Wharncliffes with long pull but they always look a bit strange to my eye;) so I'd say it was deep nick :) The pattern and length of blade are like a Norfolk knife, an old pattern that originated in England- Ettricks are very short blade Wharncliffes, sometimes curved, with a long handle.

A really superb knife to be owning, the envy factor is skyrocketing :D:thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the clarification, I knew it wasn’t quite an Ettrick blade, had heard about Norfolk knives, but never connected that with this blade. There is no half stop, just a smooth, hard (7) pull to a nice snap at open.

That is some nice jigging, and on a great pattern too.

Thank you Tim!

I decided to compare some favorite old jigged bone to modern knives by makers who do their own jigging:

Left to right:
H. Boker & Cos. Improved Cutlery Harness Jack (c. 1899-1920)
Remington UMC Serpentine Jack (1924-1933)
Remington UMC Muskrat (1924-1933)
Remington UMC Senator (1924-1933)
Reese Bose Gents Knife, green jigged bone
Jess Horn slim spear Lockback
Terry Davis OKCA 2002 “Norfolk”

F401E363-F78D-43AC-9A1A-EF8807AF57DF.jpeg

Last edited:
You are right, Dave!! I muchly admired Terry's work, and bought his knives whenever I could!! Here are a couple more! Terry liked to study the real old ones. He believed in "Sunk Joints", and running the long pull through the Tang like old Sheffield Exhibition knives! Haven't seen him for a while! I wonder if he is still Making??!!
Sole Authorship!!
A Crown Moose, and a Saddlehorn!!
Terry Davis Bone 1.jpg Terry Davis Bone 2.jpg

dcpritch dcpritch Some grand Rem Bone there too :cool::thumbsup: and others :)
Thanks very much, I’m so glad to see this thread back at the top of the rotation - there is so much variety in jigged bone!

You are right, Dave!! I muchly admired Terry's work, and bought his knives whenever I could!! Here are a couple more! Terry liked to study the real old ones. He believed in "Sunk Joints", and running the long pull through the Tang like old Sheffield Exhibition knives! Haven't seen him for a while! I wonder if he is still Making??!!
Sole Authorship!!
A Crown Moose, and a Saddlehorn!!
View attachment 1334864 View attachment 1334865
Charlie those are absolute gems, thanks for showing us!

Back