Getting Adjusted

Last Year I bought a house in town. I had been looking for a while well over a year. I found a motivated seller and Bam I'm moving in. I will tell you that I have lived out in the country for quite a while before moving in town and old habits are hard to break. First of all neighbors are not something I am used to and the sounds in even a small village where I live is way different than the country. The first week I went down stairs to check on things every time I heard a car door shut. The look on my next door neighbors face the first time he saw me walk out back with a sword was priceless. I think it is safe to say he is not a knife guy but maybe some day I can change his mind. So its been over a year now and I have gotten adjusted a bit. I don't break out the amp and electric guitar at midnight anymore. I make sure I'm wearing pants when i take the dog out at 3 am. I still break out the swords from time to time but I'm not so audible with it anymore. I can still have campfires in a ring and drink and play guitar all night it just has to be acoustic. The neighbor is not so bad really seems to be a nice guy and I now know he likes to drink beer. To top it all off the village has this get together once a year in the summer where they shut down a street and throw a live concert right down town. So I have to say I'm pretty happy in town for the moment although I know my heart is in the country and I will return someday in the future but for now I'm going to be a townie or villager or what ever it is you want to call it until then.

Take the boy outa the country, but not the country outa the boy.

Been a city dweller my whole life. Closest country living was in a small town in PA surrounded by farm land. Would love to get some land some day, just not sure I want that much work.

Well darsk20 has a good point it's a ton of work to keep up on a large property. I would rather spend my time right now making knives and doing what I love than mowing clearing brush and keeping up after a huge yard. I admit I do enjoy time in the woods and nature but I can go and do that stuff whenever and get away.

We moved from suburban Chicago to S/W Missouri 28 years ago and I can't really see me ever moving back. We still have a few relatives up North we can visit if we feel the need.:)

The benefits of live in town right now out weigh the comforts of living out in the country. Faster internet even if the weather is bad. everything is in walking distance in this small village. They even drive golf carts around town here; it reminds me of Put-in Bay.

The closest store or medical facility is 16 miles away; our little town...population 228...does not have any businesses other than a part-time Post Office and a taxidermist, and we are 4 miles from town. I STILL don't want to live in a bigger town or city, especially now with the coronavirus going around. We enjoy our privacy and peace of mind.;)

I just met one of my neighbors for the first time. I got my truck buried in my back yard and he offered to help me get out and at that moment I had to get it out on my own and I did. He was actually impressed because it was pretty deep but I got skills.

I'd enjoy a simpler life someday. Couple acres. Big 6 car garage. Tractors take space up too....

Back