Getting back in after 15 years... what should I get??

If you like a beefier knife, the Civivi Praxis has a longer and taller blade than the Baklash (both are excellent). I haven't tried them personally, but CJRB's knives have received a lot of good feedback; the larger Feldspar (3.5") and the Taiga (3.75") are $40 in D2.

All i know if thats pretty amazing to edc that knife for 15 years ! I wish i could do that.Just goes to show you dont need to spend big money to get some life out of a knife.

I have been EDCing my Gerber Gator 650 with 154CM steel for 14 1/2 years. It still has the razor sharp factory edge on it.

Ya know, I try and buy US made knives, but with your $50'ish budget, I would be remiss if I didn't recommend Bestech.
However, I would also recommend Case XX.

I'm really excited for you, BJ987 BJ987 .
Kizer is another company worth checking out. Their Mini Domin currently occupies the "small" spot on my EDC rotation. It's a thumb stud knife but flicks out nicely. It has a thin slicey blade made of N690, which is a decent stainless for the $55 price tag. I'm also fond of Bestech but it's been a humid summer and their $50ish knives are all D2.

Baklash is out for delivery! I saw Kizer around but haven't heard much about them, at first glance seemed Civivi was better quality in that price range. I'm concerned about your comment about D2. I also have my first D2 knife coming in today. I paid extra $$ to get the D2 version of the Kershaw CQC-4kXL over the 8crMov, thinking it was a huge upgrade in steel. I never oiled or really did any "maintenance" on my knives before. Will carrying in a humid summer really require me to take some special care of the D2?
As far as SD, you might consider a fixed blade.
Due to state laws, I can't really carry a fixed blade. Though, I definitely agree. In fact, I forgot to mention I also have some type of Al Mar SERE Operator in S30V that I got 15 years ago, but I keep that at home.

Welcome back! Just thinking about being out of the game for 15 years and seeing all the cool new knives and mechanisms has my head swimming. :D

I agree that Cold Steel is going to be a great path given your interests and budget. A few other suggestions in that vein:
  • SR1 Lite in 4" tanto or clip should be about $60
  • Large Voyagers in a variety of 4" blade styles should be about $60
  • Rajah III is 3.5" and about $65
  • Code 4 is 3.6" in a few different blade styles and can be found for ~$80
  • A specific retailer I can't mention currently has the 4-Max Scout (4" monster) for $83 and the Air Lite (3.5") for $63, which is a steal for both knives
I love CS knives and have been quite happy with the ones I own that are on the budget-friendly end of the spectrum.

I just bought a 4max Scout... I couldn't pass that deal up. Thanks for the heads up!

I think that a Spyderco SharpMaker is a must have and well worth the money imo.
As far as knives go, there's a lot of good recommendations already.
Good luck :)
Sorry if I'm spamming or whatever, I'm also rusty with forums lol. So, is that the thing with the triangle rods? I almost pulled the trigger on one the other day. Will the rods that come with it be enough for D2, S35VN? Also almost bought a strop, which I know NOTHING about. Do I need one?? Speaking of sharpening and blade steels.. something really annoyed/surprised me last night. I noticed on my Recon 1 that there is a little... roll? burr? on a small section of the edge (about 5 mm). I can only see it if I hold it at the right angle in the light. I have literally done nothing with this knife so far other than maybe 10-12 cuts through some light cardboard, paper, and tape (and my finger when I accidentally swung the blade closed on my hand)... Is this normal?? I thought S35VN was a supersteel?

Whatever happened, would it be overkill to run the blade through a SharpMaker to fix it?
Forgive my ignorance please, total newb to sharpening and as I said earlier in this thread, I never really maintained my knives.

There may be a burr on the blade. A few strokes on the ceramic rods should pop it off.
As for the D2 it's not too hard to take care of. Unless you live in a super humid environment.

If you are really worried, try EDCi solution. Its spray on and food safe.
I've used D2 before and didnt have any problems with regular use.
Sorry if I'm spamming or whatever, I'm also rusty with forums lol. So, is that the thing with the triangle rods? I almost pulled the trigger on one the other day. Will the rods that come with it be enough for D2, S35VN? Also almost bought a strop, which I know NOTHING about. Do I need one?? Speaking of sharpening and blade steels.. something really annoyed/surprised me last night. I noticed on my Recon 1 that there is a little... roll? burr? on a small section of the edge (about 5 mm). I can only see it if I hold it at the right angle in the light. I have literally done nothing with this knife so far other than maybe 10-12 cuts through some light cardboard, paper, and tape (and my finger when I accidentally swung the blade closed on my hand)... Is this normal?? I thought S35VN was a supersteel?

Whatever happened, would it be overkill to run the blade through a SharpMaker to fix it?
Forgive my ignorance please, total newb to sharpening and as I said earlier in this thread, I never really maintained my knives.

Yes, it comes with medium and fine rods.
Plenty of videos on how to use a SharpMaker.
Well worth the money. You can really keep a new knife sharp with a SharpMaker.

I just bought a 4max Scout... I couldn't pass that deal up. Thanks for the heads up!

Mine just came in today. Outstanding knife, and an absolute steal at $83. No idea how long those will last!

vnZgrxf.jpg

I wouldn't worry about D2 too much. I get pretty humid summers, and I literally live about 100 yards from the ocean. No rust on any of my D2 knives. I usually just gibe it a wipe with a microfiber cloth before I put it away after carrying it. On an extra humid day, or when the knife saw a lot of use, I will use EDCI on it.

Re: the roll/burr. A few strokes on a Sharpmaker (the triangle stones one you asked about) should take care of it. If it's a burr try this. Find a piece softer wood like a 2x4 or some pine or birch. Just not a really hard wood. Firmly pull the blade through the end grain of the wood a few times. That usually gets rid of a burr.

Mine just came in today. Outstanding knife, and an absolute steal at $83. No idea how long those will last!

vnZgrxf.jpg

I've been wanting one, but have just not done it. 83 bucks is an insane deal though, and I order a lot from that retailer, so it was a no brainer. I swore I was done until after my Evo Typhoon comes in, but 83 bucks...

I love my AD10 though. This is just going to be more ridiculous... :D

I wouldn't buy a knife from Amazon or Ebay but that's just me.......

I agree on a Rat 1 or Rat 2, heck get both.

I went full circle and started in 1999? with the first edition benchmade 705....... then upto customs and high end productions! but now more into quality budget knives (weird as I am much richer now than when in my 20's ;) ) Cold steel mid range+ or ++ are excellent IMHO... The latest steel thing doesn't grab me like it used to.... Enjoy and if you buy right you wont lose much if you sell it on....

Cold Steel is the way to go in that price range for what you're looking for. You've got the Recon 1 already, I'd recommend going over the scales with some high grit sandpaper, especially under the clip. Needlessly brutal. I see the Lawman's been mentioned, but I'll throw in a recommendation for the AK47. It's a fun knife. It has a wave feature and you can kubotan your way to liberty with the pommel. Nice high grind too. Haven't handled one of the new flat ground models, but I love my old AUS-8 version. Hunting down the old AUS-8 versions of any of these knives would be my preference as well. I'll take the wonderful geometry over the S35VN.

I want to reply to so many of you guys' posts but I just wanted to share that I just got my CQC-4kXLD2 in and I love it. Another level of quality from the CQC-8k and CQC-9k that I received from AMZN. If I can bring myself to sensibility and only decide to keep one Kershaw Emerson model, it will have to be this one. The action is stiff but nowhere near the others (and I already feel it breaking in after a dozen or so openings). The feel, weight, ergos, blade/handle ratio, and balance instantly made me fall in love. Here's a pic (there's my Kershaw Crown next to it just because I was sending to a friend for a comparison).
zTE2v0JtJ4OpJWvX8_4UQLLfljkggsWRt_4EqsGA3_E51Es51VeyJplYMIa35-f9OoO9yKuHfRrW-z-L0oiO_FeqnGXSPfwQcR2ScudQQxDEWzAaYfpllk-xxf9EJ7sfLX_ZmnBp2iUvupOVjDNRJX1IQn91BCd2qcUcXoi9oL2479Tz3PxO6eEXR6yD9-ULpvu4xcRlKAEZjkWhIXeEi9hiGFAiJrPIBs0clZpLRG1zB-TpPBzm6GaBRODEBfZnpLNwegZRi-vWleEn-hAzj65OTPD1X_xhrqcYwRkc1TQ-c6iMrrREfGJyEunMbJOjLom3NmiiMT62Y_fJV1b_OV-JxKO1aX60oXTjd4bN3l32dgP8A5b2NBJbcOgHW-UhTMw9I8N1Y2WqZPPeIocLCT1Sdba0vt2yWcuOXSBMKDtdHndbXxaz9lgLpaC14Trnlrc_CxoRCoqHTCy-dMfxwd17CheHnB0kFPESDULo8uAaEbfAkb7cJDgaGfmAuADZRXeQCqJzq1MFWnYYucFeU2ubtBFTkt_Ucf2K9fhgYf7ShWKBufAl3SINkZF3HHCsdSLTRH7UYyfNunQZyhY465WUkQdKhyOivJ7bUWuPCCzawfqXiP0tdYQ4kxn5VKw59m3NGCxsfjGEFqvJhAovVEbcxh9f6n1r1VZUjv_vkhCzVgpQ5tqG5Js2KyuGUiI=w633-h843-no

eBRE3pdW4wZLPjSx6

94hR1jv

Wait, how the hell do I insert a picture here from my computer? Do I really have to have an image hosted online for me to post it? And on that note, when can I put a pic in my profile avatar?

Last edited:
first off I'd recommend avoiding Emerson knives:poop:

Then I'd suggest good ol' Spyderco knives (still quality after all these years) and to also consider the Italians (Lionsteel and Viper) who offer terrific knives at budget prices

as mentioned, Cold Steel is also a great option
Just out of curiosity, what problems did you encounter with Emersons? Never owned one myself.

Cold Steel is the way to go in that price range for what you're looking for. You've got the Recon 1 already, I'd recommend going over the scales with some high grit sandpaper, especially under the clip. Needlessly brutal. I see the Lawman's been mentioned, but I'll throw in a recommendation for the AK47. It's a fun knife. It has a wave feature and you can kubotan your way to liberty with the pommel. Nice high grind too. Haven't handled one of the new flat ground models, but I love my old AUS-8 version. Hunting down the old AUS-8 versions of any of these knives would be my preference as well. I'll take the wonderful geometry over the S35VN.
The AK-47 is an awesome knife, lol.

...Wait, how the hell do I insert a picture here from my computer? Do I really have to have an image hosted online for me to post it? And on that note, when can I put a pic in my profile avatar?

Profile avatars are for "Basic" members, and above. Spark don't run this place for free, and certain privileges and benefits are only available for paid members.

You will need an image hosting site, for now at least. If you upgrade to a paid membership, I think you are allowed to direct link images.

As a word of caution, pay attention to the FAQs about "hotlinking", and "deal spotting". Even if it's unintentional on your part, the moderation team tries to be fair, but they have rules they need to follow.

Back