Getting back in after 15 years... what should I get??

You can mod the spring, and many people do! I've found that they either break in a bit and get easier, or my thumb gets stronger... I can disengage them with just my thumb. Cutting a couple coils off would help, but I'd rather keep the spring tension. Safer? I don't know, but I don't mind it.

I hear the ceramic ball helps with smoothness though, and have thought about trying it. Just haven't gotten around to it!
What about strength of a ceramic ball though? I know the brunt of force from the ball-bearing lock is on that little ball, relying on the geometrical strength of a sphere. I know ceramic is hard, so also brittle. I feel like under significant force, a ceramic ball would be more likely to crack and fail, whereas a steel ball may bend. I don't wanna mess with the spring, it's not a big deal for me. I agree in that I would also take the strength and security of it over the ease of disengaging (fidget factor). If there is a ceramic ball that would work for this application...and with the Flytanium cage... then I would probably eventually do the mod considering how much I love the knife.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was considering the Praxis early on. What a nice pic, did you take that?? Or is it off the website:D. Anyway, if you like big CIVIVI knives, I would suggest what I actually ended up going with, the Vexer. D2 steel, bigger, spydie-flickable., only about 18 bucks more...
mcH2sEl.jpg
Not my pic. The Vexer is nice.

A Massdrop Laconico Keen and Spyderco Sharpmaker (if you don’t already have one) would be a good way to get your feet wet again.

What about strength of a ceramic ball though? I know the brunt of force from the ball-bearing lock is on that little ball, relying on the geometrical strength of a sphere. I know ceramic is hard, so also brittle. I feel like under significant force, a ceramic ball would be more likely to crack and fail, whereas a steel ball may bend. I don't wanna mess with the spring, it's not a big deal for me. I agree in that I would also take the strength and security of it over the ease of disengaging (fidget factor). If there is a ceramic ball that would work for this application...and with the Flytanium cage... then I would probably eventually do the mod considering how much I love the knife.

That I don't know. Steel may dent, ceramic may crack. However Chris reeve though ceramic was good enough for his locks, so I really don't think there will be any issues. If they were breaking their ceramic balls all the time I think there would have been an uproar, kind of like the lock flex on the new sebenza.

BTW, I think the Naja has been discontinued. If anyone wanted to try it out, now is the time.

Speaking of mods, D DocJD Dadpool Dadpool , I got my 3-pack of Snaggletooth MFs in and put one on my American Lawman tonight. I'm not sure if you're aware (or if I'm actually right about this) but I think the newer Snaggletooth MFs come with hardware that enable you to keep the OEM Cold Steel thumbstuds with the install, whereas the first versions did not. I mean I'm sure it's what the hardware is made for, as it says so on the little card that comes with it, but I'm not sure if they always came like this or just the newer ones. Remembering Dadpool? say something previously about not liking the Snaggletooth hex thumbstud, I thought I should mention it. Also, after 15 min of messing around, I could not get the OEM thumbstud to work with any of the screws it came with. I'm gonna check the CS forum for advice, just thought I should mention it for you guys in case you prefer the original thumbstuds like I do.

thanks for the
Speaking of mods, D DocJD Dadpool Dadpool , I got my 3-pack of Snaggletooth MFs in and put one on my American Lawman tonight. I'm not sure if you're aware (or if I'm actually right about this) but I think the newer Snaggletooth MFs come with hardware that enable you to keep the OEM Cold Steel thumbstuds with the install, whereas the first versions did not. I mean I'm sure it's what the hardware is made for, as it says so on the little card that comes with it, but I'm not sure if they always came like this or just the newer ones. Remembering Dadpool? say something previously about not liking the Snaggletooth hex thumbstud, I thought I should mention it. Also, after 15 min of messing around, I could not get the OEM thumbstud to work with any of the screws it came with. I'm gonna check the CS forum for advice, just thought I should mention it for you guys in case you prefer the original thumbstuds like I do.

:) Thanks for the heads up !

The original Snaggletooth mod does work but very costly for what you get and the hardware was not great for thumb opening .

Good to hear they've made improvements . :cool::thumbsup:

I like the idea of keeping the factory stud, but if the hardware doesn't match up that sort of kneecaps that approach.

I like the idea of keeping the factory stud, but if the hardware doesn't match up that sort of kneecaps that approach.
Mine came with a big card with a pic of a waved Bugout? and it's original thumbstud with the words: "USE YOUR OEM THUMBSTUDS!!!", and on the back a description of the included parts. It references one of the screws for Cold Steel knives and the other screw for Benchmades, the 3rd screw I assume is the universal one. So, either I got some defective hardware, or I didn't do it right (more likely the latter since my attempted install was after 2 beers, on my bed, with a flashlight). I couldn't find anything on the CS forum about the "newer" Snaggletooths or with some light Google-fu, so I may start a thread on there about it. I even emailed Snaggletooth, so I'll see what comes of that.

I like the mod overall. I went with the Delrin because they are much cheaper and I saw pics on IG of the finish coming off the aluminum ones. I think they look great on the DLC CS knives like the Recon and Lawman. I really hope I can figure this out because, while the universal bolt thumbstud isn't as bad as I thought it would be, I definitely prefer the bigger, more comfortable OEM thumbstud--especially on the American Lawman since it is much more of a user knife for me than the Recon 1.

lUnPd3y.jpg

Ej2a97r.jpg

v22piRT.jpg

Finally came in... My 2nd ever Spyderco folder (kind of). My only cons are exactly what I expected. I find the blade/handle ratio... annoying. I get it. The handle was designed around comfort, and it is comfortable. My solution would've been to give it a longer blade! Not crazy long... just a true 3.5" or even 3.6". I'm finding these inconsistencies in how manufacturer's measure their specs really do matter. Or maybe it just looks too short because of the handle. While that F/F and overall quality is excellent, still doesn't sit too well with me that this is essentially a $200 knife when something of comparable size/quality/reputation is basically half the price (CS American Lawman). Interesting note: I can squeeze the steel-lined liners of this PM2 without too much force and see visible give, whereas I can apply more force and squeeze the liner-less G10 scales of the American Lawman with no noticeable give.

Also interesting to me is that, Spyderco markets this particular PM2 as a tactical knife (they mention it in the little letter that came with it). They mention making all the hardware black for light discipline. But, as you can see in the pics, they chose to leave the liners, liner-lock assembly, jimping, stop-pin and that middle bar/pin un-coated. This is particularly interesting IMO, given they did truly make all the hardware black (including the liners) in the black Manix 2 XL, an older model.

Just a few nit-picky observations I thought I'd share with y'all. Overall, I really like the knife so far. It's definitely gonna give my American Lawman a run for the money for the spot of my primary sub-4 inch urban EDC (did I just make up a category:p).

It's definitely satisfies the fidget factor btw... Can't wait till it breaks in because I've already flung the knife out of my hands twice attempting the Spydie-flick :rolleyes:.
EDIT: Forgot to mention that the edge grind is wonky on this for sure, especially near the tip. I knew this was an issue before deciding to pull the trigger on it, but was hoping I'd get a good one. I'd be interested to see if more experienced members here think it's wonky enough for me to send back...

Last edited:
Back