Getting rid of lanyard pin rattle on a small 21.

Dr-Mabuse

Gold Member
Hey all, I have a small micarta insingo 21. I love the look of the lanyard pin but I don't like a lanyard on a knife with a clip. I quickly discovered that without the lanyard the pin rattles, much to my annoyance. So, has anyone got a quick fix for the shakes?

I have never done it but have tried a ticker paracord maybe 550 not sure if it will go tru but maybe remove the inner strands? And burn the tips so it doesnt come out. Heard that fixes it but unsure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just thinking on this myself..the is a company that makes a pin for the large to eliminate the lanyard..but not the small..Ibwould love to keep the CRK pin and remove the lanyard..

Might try a very small dab of Elmer's glue to secure the pin to one of the handles. The glue should break free easily if you want it too, but should hold strong enough to stop the rattle. Haven't tried this myself so you may want to research various glues that may work better.

A single drop of superglue applied to the inside of ONE slab where the pin passes through should hold it still.

I put a small piece of string through the pin hole. The string stuck a little bit on both ends. I had to force the pin in the lanyard

hole. The pin has been in the hole for about 2 years.

Try plumbers/thread tape. I have used it instead of loctite on pivot screws. Would be a fiddly lil job but should work around the ends of the pin that meet the scales.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

NO NO NO! Don't do anything that drastic. Just put a very short length of paracord through the pin just long enough to stick a tiny bit out of both sides of the pin. Then burn the ends of that little paracord length and squish them to mushroom them against the pin. Now your pin won't rattle as if it had the lanyard in, but you don't have to have the lanyard.

I think Chris Reeve should be supplying lanyard pins that don't fall out by now, like cooooommeeee oooonnn.

Just use a bit of clear tubing such as found in aquarium stores for air pumps etc. cut it the exact length to fit snug between the scales and slide it over the pin.

Assemble the knife and you're done. No rattle and the clear tubing does not detract from the aesthetics.

This can be done on the large as well to prevent the lanyard pin falling out.

Hey all, I have a small micarta insingo 21. I love the look of the lanyard pin but I don't like a lanyard on a knife with a clip. I quickly discovered that without the lanyard the pin rattles, much to my annoyance. So, has anyone got a quick fix for the shakes?

Don't shake the knife and it won't rattle :).

I've had mine for several years and didn't like the rattle at first, but it never rattles w/o being shaked.

Heat shrink tubing does a good job. Cover enough the areas exposed and shrink wrap it. The pin wont rattle when installed. Furthermore these tubes comes in various colours too.

NO NO NO! Don't do anything that drastic. Just put a very short length of paracord through the pin just long enough to stick a tiny bit out of both sides of the pin. Then burn the ends of that little paracord length and squish them to mushroom them against the pin. Now your pin won't rattle as if it had the lanyard in, but you don't have to have the lanyard.

I think Chris Reeve should be supplying lanyard pins that don't fall out by now, like cooooommeeee oooonnn.

Just a quick note that the pins on the small 21s don't fall out like the large 21s. The trick mentioned above won't work on a small. The pin will still rattle back and forth.

Having said that I've come to like the slight rattle my small has when I handle it. I know I've got a CRK in hand. 😁

Just a quick note that the pins on the small 21s don't fall out like the large 21s. The trick mentioned above won't work on a small. The pin will still rattle back and forth.

Having said that I've come to like the slight rattle my small has when I handle it. I know I've got a CRK in hand. 😁

I personally think it cheapens the feel of the knife, but to each their own. I always associate rattling with low quality/bad fit.

I never really got any consensus on which approach is the best to get the lanyard pin to stop rattling? Its driving me crazy! Help...

What worked for me was putting a very small amount of CRK grease on the top and bottom of the lanyard pin. You can disassemble your knife or just use a needle/paperclip to apply it between the handles.

little bit of blue loktite on each side of the lanyard pin.

What worked for me was putting a very small amount of CRK grease on the top and bottom of the lanyard pin. You can disassemble your knife or just use a needle/paperclip to apply it between the handles.

I can live with either of these approaches. I have both handy.

I wondered if there was some teeny tiny little rubber grommet you could slip over each end of the pin that would keep it from rattling. I guess not.

Thanks, guys!

Back