Getting rid of lanyard pin rattle on a small 21.

What worked for me was putting a very small amount of CRK grease on the top and bottom of the lanyard pin. You can disassemble your knife or just use a needle/paperclip to apply it between the handles.

+1 here,
this is the best solution I have found for me. Worked just like a champ and no damage or anything the pin itself. Good Luck!

I never understand why CRK makes the pin rattle. I mean given the precision of CRK, it should not be difficult to make the pin fit the handle perfectly - not too tight and not too loose to rattle, right?

Another for CRK grease here. I don't even put any on both ends. A little dab on the collar before I stick it in the lock side and it's done.

I never understand why CRK makes the pin rattle. I mean given the precision of CRK, it should not be difficult to make the pin fit the handle perfectly - not too tight and not too loose to rattle, right?
I imagine it's to allow for lanyard movement without the pin and scales rubbing together so tightly and having one wear on the other.

It sounds like of all the suggestions, the dab of CRK grease is the easiest.

As it dries and thickens, it should "gum up" slightly making it harder to rattle. Will wipe off easily when disassembled, too, and be easy to reapply.

I bought a used large 21 Insingo once (still have it) where the previous owner did the cut/ heat/ mushroom thing to the lanyard pin and it did not rattle. I took it out, and put one of the gray CRK lanyards with a narrow band in the middle of it on the knife and it has remained that way ever since.

The heat and squash method worked fine, too though. No reason why it would not work on a small, too, but a dab of grease would be easier, and if it does not work to your satisfaction, then Plan B could be the squash method.

I used some Teflon tape before
mh5KC6W.jpg

I take out the lanyard and pin as a complete unit and leave the hole open. If I decide I want to replace the lanyard, I don't have to retie anything, I can just pop it back in.

Carson got it. My new large 31 with the new captured lanyard pin rattles without the cord in it. A small rubber grommet like those found on the Umnumzaan studs work great. Any hardware store has them.

For those of us who used superglue (cyanoacrylate) - acetone should dissolve it.

Back