Getting that urge again. 3" EDC

Well its been about two months and I "need" something new. To be practical I'm focusing on medium sized EDC knives. I have the usual ones (Delica, Mini-Grip, Skyline, Leek, RAT 2, Drifter) plus a lot of others (Ekscaliber, Maxpedition Excelsa, Sages 1and 2, Swindle, Injection 3.0, some San Ren Mus, Techno, Albatross, Tuff-lite, and probably a few more I can't recall right now).

I'm looking for between 2.75 and 3.125 inches in length and under 4 oz. I don't care for assisted openers, but not fanatical about it. Some of the ones I am considering are the Spydie Native LW and Centofante 3 (but I'd prefer screwed together rather than pinned) and the Boker Plus Whale (I've hade quality issues with Boker Plus before). I've seen enough knives to know that interesting/novel knives have value just for originality, so anything out of the usual would get heavy consideration. As an example, I'd get a Spyderco Zulu in a second if I could find one for under $100.

Let's call the budget $200, but I'd want high end steel for that price. Basically a step and $100 below Sebenzas and their competition/copies. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
How about a CRKT Eros Large Titanium? It's a 3" blade, non-assisted flipper that just flies out of the handle. At 1.4oz, it's well withing your weight limit, and the intricately milled titanium handles score to be highly interesting in my book. Send me an email if you'd like pictures of it.

-Thomas

Thanks, Thomas. I'll look into it. Have generally had good experiences with CRKT and I like Ken Onion as well.

Don't be afraid of the Centofante 3 because it is pinned. I used to be that way, but the Centofante 3 and Manix 2 lightweight cured me of it. With pinned construction, the pivot tightness is always just right and never changes. I love the look and feel of the C3. It is super light weight in the pocket, and cuts like a champ.

I can't really think of a better knife to buy as an EDC than a BM 940 with a budget of $200.00

It's a little bigger than you are looking for at just under 3.5, but at 2.9 ounces, and being as slim as it is, it makes a great EDC....

You should go play with one if you live near a knife shop.

I can't really think of a better knife to buy as an EDC than a BM 940 with a budget of $200.00

It's a little bigger than you are looking for at just under 3.5, but at 2.9 ounces, and being as slim as it is, it makes a great EDC....

You should go play with one if you live near a knife shop.

Good suggestion.

Also consider a BM 484 Nakamura - just handled one at Blade HQ, very nice.

Thanks. The Manix 2 LW is making me think about pin construction. I just love having the ability to take the whole thing apart and reassemble. Just part of a curious nature. Not saying it is a requirement for a good knife.

Thank. Living in suburban NYC (Westchester) getting to hold anything beyond Gerbers and low-end Kershaws is not easy. I rely on you guys to point me in the right direction.

I like the Benchmades I've held, overall, but for whatever reason the prices seem unreasonable for 154 CM, which to me is no better than 440C or VG-10, decent but not something I'll pay more for. That being said, a Mini-Barrage is also on the shortlist. Never held one but just seems so pure.

Well, I'm a Spyderco nut, because they sell the knives that I like. I have relatives that I gift to...in states that have a 3" restriction...so here is my list..
Spyderco folders, Sage 1 through Sage 4. All 3" blades; all great. Different lock systems to revere great inventors. The Native series is similar. Their Caly 3 series can be found in at least three different blade-steels. These are great favorites of mine, all 3" max.

I've been carrying my Native IV Lightweight a lot, lately. Almost forgot how well it cuts (cardboard is not its forte, but with the right technique, it's not a problem). Mine has been used without mercy and there is no blade play. It's still a solid work knife. I clean it under hot running water, with a pipe cleaner and dish soap. Takes about two minutes, if it's really gunked up. Don't know what kind of cutting you normally do, but I don't think you can get a more durable lightweight cutting tool for what they cost.
I have the III and the IV. The III is more contoured and a bit more comfortable in hand, but I prefer the S30V of the IV over the VG-10 used on the III, for tougher tasks.

This linked video was instrumental in my purchase decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp0Gm51suDI

Quartermaster gets some heat on here for a few different reasons...

But if you can overcome that controversy I've really liked my Mr. Roper. It looks great and has broken in very well.

They just released a version 2.0 on their website which has apparently improved the lock-up and action of the original. Costs $200, blade is either blackwashed or satin.

One cannot have that many knives and not own a Paramilitary 2. It exemplifies the medium size EDC folder.

I would second the Paramilitary 2. However, if I had $200 I'd grab a Zero Tolerance 801 in a heartbeat. It's a tad bit over your length/weight requirements though. Good luck and enjoy the chase for your new knife.

One cannot have that many knives and not own a Paramilitary 2. It exemplifies the medium size EDC folder.

I agree. I'm looking for a PM2 right now, but it is a bit too long for this purpose. Where I live, suburban NYC, its a large knife.

Thanks. I own a 0801(my only ZT) and it is terrific, but too big for me to EDC. I got it for about $155 online. Best flipper I own.

Looks great, but how does the scalloped handle feel in the hand? It looks like a lot of hot spots waiting to happen. Love the Axis lock and M390 is awesome.

I also didn t like pinned construction, and still prefer screw construction. But since getting the Manix2 LW s110v, I ve been delighted with it. Well constructed and with that steel, an incredible value for $110. Slightly long for your current search, but after seeing it mentioned above, had to add my opinion. Good luck.

I have the Manix 2 LW with the BD-1, so another is low on my list, even with super steel. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I love its size vs weight.

Back