GH Engraved Presentation Khukuri: A Great Blade and Excellent Customer Service!

I just received an "Engraved Presentation" model khukuri from Craig and Marya at Gurkha House…I'm extremely pleased with this knife! The engraved presentation model is an embellished, "upscale" version of the Service Number One. It is finely polished and has beautiful engravings of traditional Nepali motifs (dragons, temples, etc.). The handle is water buffalo horn and the scabbard is patent leather-wrapped wood with a military style frog. The chakma and karda are relatively small (as is to be expected in a khukuri of this size), but are nicely crafted. I already have a World War khukuri that I purchased from Craig, so I expected that the knife would be well-constructed and functional, but I never anticipated the level of artistry that is reflected in this knife. Even though this knife exhibits all of the quality construction of Craig's other models I'll probably never have the heart to use it as a khukuri was intended…it's simply too beautiful. I already have enough functional (if inelegant) "beaters" so this blade will probably go directly to the display case.

I have owned several khukuris of varying levels of quality and the Gurkha House products compare favorably with the best of them. These knives are extremely solid and well finished; the steel is also of excellent quality. I have subjected my World War model to fairly strenuous use and the edge has held up to everything I could throw at it without chipping or deformation. Sharpening is a breeze (I usually use the rods from a Spyderco sharpmaker); however, a few quick strokes with the chakma are usually all that's needed to re-align the edge after use. These knives are a tremendous value! I don't know of any other place where you can obtain an artisanally crafted knife of this quality at a comparable price.

Gurkha House customer service is as commendable as their khukuris. Craig and Marya have always been exceedingly prompt and courteous in all of my dealings with them…they have always kept me informed of the status of my orders from the moment that the order was received until the items were shipped. However, in the course of my most recent transaction they really distinguished themselves by "going the extra mile" to ensure customer satisfaction. I won't go into all of the gory details, but Marya was extremely gracious about remedying a shipping screw-up (which was not in any sense Gurkha House's fault or responsibility) in a very expeditious manner. Top-drawer products and service, and great folks to deal with!

Jim

UglyJim: I just got back from Nicaragua last night, and your emails were the first thing Marya showed me this morning when she briefed me on all that had happened while I was gone. Thanks for the kind words, and for putting such faith in a young company such as ours.

Now, maybe the scumbag that stole your original engraved presentation out of your mailbox will demonstrate the law of social darwinism and cut his throat while shaving with your knife, the world will be a slightly better place
smile.gif

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Back