GH Tang Pic - Anybody want a Handle-less Khukuri

With all of the discussion in the Panawal thread about tangs, I thought I'd post this picture of a World War Model GH Khukuri with no handle. You can get a rough idea of exactly what a khukuri tang looks like.

tang.jpg

I'm not sure what the black stuff is that coats the tang, but it stops just short of the upper brass fitting. When a handle is attached, the kamis use Laha - a strong glue made from tree bark - to affix the handle. When everything's lined up, they beat the tip of the tang flat with a hammer, so that the handle is held in place both with the laha and mechanically, with the flattened tang tip.

With that said, I have about 5 of these World War models with no handles. They'd make excellent project knives for someone who wants to finish a khukuri with a custom handle. The blade is guaranteed for life like the other GH khukuris. They come complete with finished scabbards, chakma, and karda.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Oops! The most obvious bit of info. Since the WWII sells for $69.00, how about $40.00 plus $4.00 shipping. Should be a fun project for you.

Well, 3 are gone. I'm not sure, but I think I have 2 left.

[This message has been edited by Craig Gottlieb (edited 15 July 1999).]

Back