Ghurka House panawal

I was looking for a good all around utility
knife, hatchet, to carry in my Jeep and motorhome. Tried to read up on posts regarding Khukuris. Paticular attention to Cliff's tests and others(ain't it great, our own consumers report) on this and old KF.C. Saw the price differential between GH and HI, and being the frugal fool than I am, ordered the panawal.
It arrived on Monday. It was about 16 inches overall length. Never seeing a khuk before, there was nothing to compare it to. The overall condition was what I would describe as rough. The blade was polished. There were three areas where depressions were evident and each was rough and black and approximately 1 inch by 1/4. This was only on one side (right) about 2-4 inches out from the handle.
The handle was very rough, the rings around the midshaft area left sharp pieces of metal protruding from the full tang. A few minutes with a dremel should take care of this.
When chopping limbs the blade wanted to torque to the side on the right side of the cut. Chopped through an 8 inch oak log but could not seem to hit where I was aiming. I am sure this was not entirely the blade's curvature, a good part just bad coordination.
The tourque was not a problem if I repositioned my hand every stroke. Vibration itself was not a problem!
Examination of the blade afterwards revieled about a 10 degree clockwise twist. Holding the tange perpendicular and in front looking down, the blade seemed also to be bent a small amount to the left.
Now this is a very thick splined blade. The odds of bending or twisting in transit seems remote. Probably IMHO, this occured during forging or heat treatment. But my knowledge of metalurgy is frightenly sparse.
The scabbard was adequate, but the blade wanted to cut the bottom leather when insertion or withdrawl. Careful alignment and several tries would prevent this.
This khuk was sent back to Ghurka House. The correspondence with Craig started out with him being very concerned. He was going to get another in the mail right now and I could use this one until the new one arrived. The last e-mail said he wanted this one back so he could inspect it prior to shipping another one. This change bothers me. I am reluctant form any negative opinion yet but concerned. Craig can respond to this for any clarification and correction from his point of view. Misunderstandings are possible.
Overall it is one heavy duty blade. However IMHO this particular one was not up to minimal standard, even for the low price.
Sometimes my writing can seem too harsh. Please forgive me if any take offense. There is nothing to be gained by hurting feelings. This is just my feeble attempt to report on this paticular knife.
Jim

------------------
What? Another knife? Don't you have enough of those things already?
How many does one person need?

Jim, thanks for the detail.

The handle was very rough, the rings around the midshaft area left sharp pieces of metal protruding from the full tang

I am not sure what you mean by this, there are rings in the middle of the handle for grip retention but they are wooden.

Examination of the blade afterwards revieled about a 10 degree clockwise twist. Holding the tange perpendicular and in front looking down, the blade seemed also to be bent a small amount to the left.

That is a fairly severe problem indicated by the fact that is actually effected performance of the blade.

Now this is a very thick splined blade. The odds of bending or twisting in transit seems remote.

Unless the blade was made out of AL I can't see that happening. You should not be able to do that even with heavy prying.

The scabbard was adequate, but the blade wanted to cut the bottom leather when insertion or withdrawl. Careful alignment and several tries would prevent this.

The village khukuri I have from HI has this problem. I used a strip of leather and a hard epoxy coat to solve it. You could also try stretching the opening a bit.

Sometimes my writing can seem too harsh. Please forgive me if any take offense.

Jim, don't be concerned about that. Yes if you be direct some people will have a problem with it. But the problem is not yours, it is on their end.

-Cliff

Cliff
In regards to the handle, the metal extended the full width and lenght of the wood. When the rings were cut the ajacent raised origional area was therefore sharp like a pointed nail or protrusion not only in the wood but also the metal. Sorry for my lack of good terminology.
As to the blade twist, IMHO this is definitely a twist or torgue in the blade, not just a wobble or imperfection on the spine.
It would be interesting to have someone of your experience look at this knife and verify or dispute my findings. As I am a neophyte here, others could do a much better job of evaluating khuks.
Jim

My post is to in no way cast a broad opinion of negative feedback twords Ghurka House; my post concerns just this one knife and this one experience.
Jim

Gonesaling: I can understand your misunderstanding my wanting to inspect your rejected knife prior to shipping another one out. As I mentioned in the email to you (and this is one problem with email), I only wanted to compare the one you got with a replacement - I didn't want to send out a knife that contained the same discrepancies that you noted. If you remember, I explained my reason for wanting to see your khukuri prior to sending out a new one - to make sure that the replacement handle was at least as big, and to make sure that the blade did not suffer from the same forging discrepancy. That you interpreted my waiting-to-send as reluctancy to serve you I regret (again, it is understandable due to the cold frankness of email, where intentions and words can easily be misunderstood).

I'm sure once you receive a refund, exchange, or replacement, you will see that I am an honorable man, and that I stand behind my product to the full extent of my guarantee. In the one case that I did get a knife back (a service number one, I believe), I actually sent the owner out a Bhojpure at no extra charge to make up for his trouble). Please let the forumites know that I expressed my desire to reimburse you not only for your cost in returning the knife to me, but also for the itme you spent with this unfortunate event.

A note on the Panawal: it is a rough working knife - it LACKS the beauty and elegance of my other khukuris. I am the first to admit this. If you'll let me send you a Bhojpure as a replacement, you will see the difference between the two, and your confidence will be restored in Gurkha House. The reason I suggested a Panawal was because it was the thickest, heaviest khukuri I offer. In finish, it does not compare at all to my other Khukuris, all of which are, as Cliff Stamp once put it, visually very beautiful and well constructed (not exact words, but paraphrase).

My mistake was this; that in my exhuberance to deliver to you the khukuri with the largest handle and the thickest blade, I failed to perform a simple spot check that I always perform: sighting the blade. Had I done this, I would have noticed the forging descrepancy, and the knife would have joined 3 other khukuris in the reject bin.

Gonesailing, I harbor no ill feelings toward you - I chalk this one up to a big misunderstanding. I received your khukuri in the mail today (Saturday, so I won't be able to pick it up until Monday). Please call me tonight using the toll-free number I sent you and I can follow your instructions on how to make things right between us.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Just checked my email, and discovered that Gonesailing prefers a refund. I am hoping to talk to him on the phone tonight, but whatever happens, I hope things are right between us. Of course, I wish I could have replaced the Panawal with a Bhojpure, but I am glad to honor my guarantee and leave it at that.

J: your credit card will be refunded within the hour, and you'll receive a check in the mail to cover the postage you expended returning the Panawal to me. I am sorry I won't have the chance to show you that my khukuris are as beautiful and functional as any khukuri out there. You've taught me a valuable lesson: to be sure I understand fully what a customer is looking for in a knife.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

GONESAILING: I am new to the forum and maybe it is not my place to say anything but I have purchased 9 Khukuris from Craig Gottlieb at GURKHA HOUSE and it bothers me to see GH cast in such a negative light. I have had nothing but superior customer service for a superior product in my dealings with Craig and I find him a very honorable person. I can understand how misunderstandings can occur but I know Craig stands behind his product 100%. I urge you to take advantage of Craigs offer as his Khukuris are a quality product.

As I posted on a recent controversy in the HI forum, mistakes happen and not always because of less than honorable intent. We need not rush to judgement and probably should give the person commiting a mistake to rectify before casting judgement to make a mistake of our own.

sing

Scott and Sing: thanks for your encouraging words - they mean a great deal to me, given that I have struggled to establish an honorable reptutation among the forumites. As mentioned before, I harbor no ill-feelings against Gonesailing for misinterpreting my intentions. I wish him the best, and hope that he will give GH and myself another shot to win his confidence.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

GONESAILING,

I too am a repeat customer of Craig Gottlieb and Gurkha House. I just received my last order from him a few days ago. I deal with Craig because of his extensive interest in the satisfaction of his customers and the sheer quality of his knives.

My most recent purchase was a Panawal. It is a beautiful yet brutal piece of craftsmanship. Your Panawal seems to have had some obvious defects. It surely was a fluke that "slipped through the cracks" somehow. If all things in life were perfect, there would be no need for guarantees.

I inspect and maintain multi-million dollar aircraft for a living. When a defective part or faulty workmanship is found (as they are in all avenues of life), we contact Boeing or the manufacturer of the piece. The piece is shipped back to point of origin for inspection and a replacement piece is issued. They use this procedure to make comparisons with other units in their inventory. This helps eliminate the possibility of other customers receiving a piece of equipment with a similar defect. These vendors, like Gurkha house, maintain their reputation and customer satisfaction by acknowledging problems, fixing them and eliminating the possibility of similar problems in the future.

Craig is an honorable man. His guarantee, like his word, is absolute. He has proven it yet again in his dealing with you on this issue. I will continue to deal with him because of it.

I find it sad that you chose to publicly question Craigs integrity before allowing him an opportunity to make things right. I would like to believe that I would have been as gracious and accomodating in my replies to you as Craig has been. I fear that would not have been the case.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

I spoke to Craig this morning by phone. This matter has been professionally and courteously delt with to my and Craig's satisfaction. In addition we have both learned that intentions are not always conveyed via cyberspace, only words.
The replacement will arrive later in the week.
He has kindly asked if I will test and review this new one and objectivly post the results on this forum.
Craig has also relayed to his supplier my concerns about the sharp edges at the grooves in the handle.
It is nice to know that both Bladeforum.com sources for khukuris, Ghurka House and Himalayan Imports, offer a "you can count on it" guarantee*.
Thank you Craig
Jim
NOTE* Subsequent to this posting, the agreement was changed by Craig. See later post.
------------------

[This message has been edited by GONESAILING (edited 18 July 1999).]

Blackdog: thank you for your support. It's because of people like you that I love the forum and true knife lovers.

Gonesailing: you too. I'm very happy with our conversation this morning. As I sat on the Patomac talking with you on my cell phone, my sadness about the unfortunate customer-service misunderstanding and my mistake sending out a blem evaporated in the sweltering heat! Rest assured, you will enjoy the Bhojpure you're getting, and will be proud to use it. And, as I said, if you are not happy with it, I won't charge you, and you can return it on my dime.

As was the case with Bill's mix-up with Springercop, I think everybody is happy here, and there was no damage done to any party concerned.

The way this incident developed and then turned out is just another reason I love the forum. People say what they think, rally behind truth, admit their mistakes, and, most importantly, strive to make things right. Thanks to all who gave their words of encouragement, and to everyone for their display of integrity.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

GONESAILING,

I am happy that you and Craig have worked out the Panawal situation. I know Craig to be a reasonable man and your latest posting shows that you too are a man of reason.

If I spoke out of turn and offended you in my last posting, I sincerely apologize. A mans reputation and good name are difficult to build and easily destroyed. We have all spoken out of anger or frustration, only to regret it later. I suppose it's the nature of the beast.

I look forward to your review of the Panawal and hope it provides you as much satisfaction as my GH Khukuris do to me.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Black dog

appologies accepted.
Sad to say the matter with Ghurka House is NOT resolved after all. The agreement was changed by Craig after I posted that it had been worked out.
I hope to receive my credit and refund in the near future. That is all I want, no more, no less.
It is time to move on.
Jim

------------------

Gonesailing :

In regards to the handle, the metal extended the full width and lenght of the wood.

Bugger, I was thinking of the regular tang when I read your post. I forgot the Panawal had the full width tang. Your description was clear, my mind wasn't.

-Cliff

Gonesailing: as mentioned on the phone, your credit has already been issued. You will receive a receipt in the mail for your records. For THIS record, the story did not change.

Folks, after yet another misunderstanding between us (this one my fault and not Gonesailings), I offered Gonsailing a FREE Bhojpure: the best in my inventory. I told him he was free to pay me nothing, or something - whatever he felt he deserved for his inconvenience, and that I would be happy whatever he decided. This was after I invited him to call my toll free number - I forwarded my office calls to my cell phone so that I could receive his call - on Sunday afternoon. Very sad.

Gonesailing, no need to respond to this posting unless you feel my comments are factually incorrect.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

In rergards to the Panawal , I was the winner of the G.H. raffle . I have been testing the Panawal and have found it to be a reliable blade. I have cut 2" sappling with a single stroke and about a 6"tree with multiple strokes and was very impressed. It is not a decorative blade but I have found it to be very functional. the Panawal and scabbard were both well made. Even after numerous sapplings being cut down it has retained its edge with no need to resharpen to date. I did discuss some cosmetic marks on the blade with Craig and he offered to replace it if I wasnt satisfied so my experience with Craig has been a pleasent one to date. I also had a problem with an order i placed with H.I. and though I felt I was dealt a bad hand in that deal it was resolved with Uncle Bill and was just mic-communication. I have found both companies to honor their word and would and will deal with both in the future.

Springercop: thanks. I know that both Bill and I appreciate customers like you. And you are correct in pointing out that the Panawal is less decorative than other good khukuris while still very functional -you hit the nail on the head. That it resembles (in style only) the cheaper indian junk that give khukuris a bad name scares some people away from it. Everything said, it really just a big Bhojpure without the beauty (although I do have bhojpures that are heavier than Panawals, and vice versa).

[This message has been edited by Craig Gottlieb (edited 20 July 1999).]

I read this and do not understand gonesailing`s problem.Have I missed something?Gee,;what do you want from Craig?

------------------

Back