ghurka house raffle

I am the winner of the Ghurka House raffle and just received my khukuri. WOW!! This is one well built blade. My initial opinion is the blade will last. i have done some lightchopping with it so far on small trees and it has performed exceptionally well.The fit and finish were wonderful and it came with a RAZOR sharp edge. The sheath was also superbly well made with a nice fit for the blade. My thanks to Ghurka House!!!

I'm glad you are happy with your prize. You are the first to own a Gurkha House Panawal, as we won't be getting more in until Friday or Monday. I'm sure it will replace the Bhojpure as the heaviest GH chopper. Again, contratulations!

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Springrcop,

Even if you haven't chopped or cut anything with the Panawal yet, you must have spent a few hours just holding it by now. How does it handle? How does it feel in the hand? What is the balance like. Would it strike terror into the heart of villians and evil tree limbs?

Come on man, you won the raffle. At least give the non-winners a post-game commentary. Your public is waiting.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Blackdog, the Panawal feels very good in the hand. it is slightly front heavy but i dont find this an inconveinence when chopping. I have done some cutting on small trees with great results. the knife appears to be well made to this point. the sheath is also very well made with a good fit. This is an AWSOME looking knife which would strike fear in the hearts of the timid.

Springrcop,

Thanks for the initial info. Even in the picture I've seen of the Panawal it looks brutal and elegant at the same time. I needed a second opinion before I chose my next khukuri. Looks like there's no doubt about my choice now.

Thanks again.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Springercop: you are currently the only guy on the block with a Panawal, so you may have to defend yourself with it as people try to grab it from you. Just curious - what did you think of the finish I applied to the blade? I'm doing that now with all the khukuris I send out. My friend gave me a polishing wheel in exchange for a couple of khukuris, and I'm finding that the gift is a very addicting tool - once you polish one khukuri to a brilliant finish, it's hard to resist not doing it again and again!

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Polishing wheel addiction = another addiction in addtion to buying knives....LOL.
smile.gif
BTDD!

MadDog: Yes, another addiction. My basement is now coated in Rouge! But the khukuris seem to be happier
smile.gif

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Yes the finish on the panawal was excellent. Though i thought this was done by the maker of the blade it was a mirror like finish...although it is a little dull now from use and handleing. Perhaps i'll need a polishing whell myself!!

Well, I was reluctant to get this wheel, as I thought it would earn a place in my basement next to my other never-used stuff (I have two lawnmowers and about a 10th of an acre of lawn!). But, since I was bartering for the wheel (Khukuris, actually), I went ahead with it. Best decision I ever made. Usually, the finish from Nepal is nice, but not perfectly mirror (at least, not on the regular models). There are usually some marks from where grit got mixed in with the packing lubricant and wedged in between the blade and scabbard. I used to just polish the knives with polish, but I could never get the deep scratches out. The polishing wheel has taken care of that. Even though the blade will scratch with use, I like a nice new mirror finish to start with. I also do satin finishes for the khukuri owner who wants a more user-friendly finish that doesn't tempt one to worry. If you are in the neighborhood, let me know - I can always buff out your Panawal for you. You may even want to trade it in for a newer one, as the newer ones are going to be mint-marked with "GH" in Nepalese.

Back