Giant Mouse Ace Grand

abbazaba

Gold Member
...didn't see a thread on this one yet.

The GM5 is easily my favorite GM, and adding a deep carry wireclip and losing a little weight seems like a winner to me! Hopefully the grind is just as awesome as the original, and maybe not as butt heavy as the GM5. I'm excited to compare the two.

Looks like BHQ already sold out. Who else is in?

For those who were lucky to grab one please post pics when it arrives. I was going to order one last night from GM direct but got busy and today they're out of stock. Bummer

Well, it's here and it's awesome. I still don't love the feel and stick of the ACE liner locks, but this knife does not disappoint. Compared to the GM5:
  • Same exact blade and grind as far as I can tell (which is a great slicer)
  • Reduced weight is nice
  • Handle is slightly thicker overall (~.55" vs .49"), which feels great in hand even if I wish it was thinner in pocket
  • Action is similar but not as broken in. Spydie flicking this thing is almost as satisfying as the GM5
  • Balance point is similarly behind the forefinger, but slightly better than the GM5 (less butt heavy).
  • Some people will likely complain about lock bar access, which is not as good as the GM5. However, it's about the same as the Biblio. There is plenty of scale material before the liner to remove for better access if desired.
  • Still has the sharpish bump in the handle that is proud of the spine of the blade (not my favorite).
  • Ergos are full on GM5, but this knife looks and feels more like the Biblio because of the scales, clip, and liner lock
  • I'm not a fan in general of machined clips, and GM FINALLY got the wire clip location right with this one. Deep carry position for a deep carry clip? What a concept!
This is no doubt going to be a hit for GM. I'm putting my vote in for a carbon fiber and PVD version :) Has anyone ever confirmed the GM's Elmax HRC?

pv969OU.png

AoSLZVN.png

FcAO8VS.png

Last edited:
Got mine today and love it, missing out on the GM5 always bugged me but now I don't care. I love micarta, the only minor gripe I have is the show side of the micarta is way smoother than the clip side.

Well, it's here and it's awesome. I still don't love the feel and stick of the ACE liner locks, but this knife does not disappoint. Compared to the GM5:
  • Same exact blade and grind as far as I can tell (which is a great slicer)
  • Reduced weight is nice
  • Handle is slightly thicker overall (~.55" vs .49"), which feels great in hand even if I wish it was thinner in pocket
  • Action is similar but not as broken in. Spydie flicking this thing is almost as satisfying as the GM5
  • Balance point is similarly behind the forefinger, but slightly better than the GM5 (less butt heavy).
  • Some people will likely complain about lock bar access, which is not as good as the GM5. However, it's about the same as the Biblio. There is plenty of scale material before the liner to remove for better access if desired.
  • Still has the sharpish bump in the handle that is proud of the spine of the blade (not my favorite).
  • Ergos are full on GM5, but this knife looks and feels more like the Biblio because of the scales, clip, and liner lock
  • I'm not a fan in general of machined clips, and GM FINALLY got the wire clip location right with this one. Deep carry position for a deep carry clip? What a concept!
This is no doubt going to be a hit for GM. I'm putting my vote in for a carbon fiber and PVD version :) Has anyone ever confirmed the GM's Elmax HRC?

pv969OU.png

AoSLZVN.png

FcAO8VS.png

Well, you just saved me writing almost this exact post, LOL.

A few things I'd add so far:

1. The detent on my Grand is actually lighter than on my GM5, which I found disappointing. I know this was an issue that some people were really annoyed about on the GM5s -- mine was pretty solid though -- so I was really hoping they'd have these ones dialed in with a good crips detent like on the Biblios. Maybe they will correct this in future runs.

2. The tip of the blade rides kinda proud when the knife is closed, markedly more than on the GM5. Super easy to catch your finger on when closed. Not a deal breaker, but definitely worth correcting.

3. The jimping might actually be a little bit more aggressive than my GM5, which I like! Great for harderish use.

4. The edge was nicely done, very sharp, good agressive working edge, probably better than the factory edge on my GM5.

5. Finally, the correspondence between the blade shape and finishing between the Grand and the GM5 is like, completely exact. Very cool to see and definitely the first time that you can literally get the exact blade from a GM line knife in an Ace line knife.

I don't see how it's "super easy" to catch your finger on the tip, I can't even if I try. It's less than a millimeter above the backspacer.

I also think the detent is perfect. My buddy has a biblio and he thinks it's downright too strong, probably for the flipper aspect of things. The detent in the Grand is lighter and easier to flick effortlessly. I'm sure that's all personal preference though and impossible to make everyone happy.

I don't see how it's "super easy" to catch your finger on the tip, I can't even if I try. It's less than a millimeter above the backspacer.

I also think the detent is perfect. My buddy has a biblio and he thinks it's downright too strong, probably for the flipper aspect of things. The detent in the Grand is lighter and easier to flick effortlessly. I'm sure that's all personal preference though and impossible to make everyone happy.

The tip on mine sits well above the backspacer. The spine of the knife is exactly parallel with scales:

NXbK6Q2.jpg

The GM5, by contrast:

ZxwllM6.jpg

I assume there will be variations across the run. It's the nature of mass production. Just discussing my example. At the price point, I'm super happy with it. Part of the hobby is getting into the details. :D

The detent on mine is great as well. I don't actually like really strong detents, but I can't shake this one out like my GM5 (which does take effort).

It might be Techno close, but the tip on mine is well seated as well...

fF1GHW9.jpg

The detent on mine is great as well. I don't actually like really strong detents, but I can't shake this one out like my GM5 (which does take effort).

The tip on mine is well seated as well...

fF1GHW9.jpg

Hmm, yeah looks like yours got better QC than mine.

Just a further update note. After probably a hundred or so spydieflicks, I think the detent has firmed up some. It may have just needed to wear in slightly to seat itself at full depth into the hole. I'd say it's on par with my GM5 now. :thumbsup:

Back